advertisement

new Nikon FTZ converter?

Joe P

Memory Alpha incarnate | mod; Shatner number = 2
Just a rumour, but some Nikon gurus are saying it will make the screwy AF lenses work on a Z body.

The pluses are obvious — millions of the earlier Nikon AF lenses will be more useable on a Z body, including ones that are still made or available new (e.g., 16mm f/2.8 fisheye, 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, 105mm f/2, 200mm f/4 Micro-Nikkor).

The only minus I can think of is that powering a motor in the converter will cut battery life.

Joe

Lefty,

I hope so, too. But if not to support the older screwy lenses, what would the new FTZ converter do that the current one doesn't?

Joe

Lefty,

I hope so, too. But if not to support the older screwy lenses, what would the new FTZ converter do that the current one doesn't?

Joe

Look less ugly? :)
I occasionally use the FTZ with a nikkor 70-300 and 24/2.8 which are both great lenses.... but I seem to think they gave better results on my old D600 DSLR. So will be sticking with Z-mount lenses

Lefty,

Joe

From what I understand it could just be to make it more streamlined with less of a 'bump' for the tripod mount. Although have to agree this alone would not seem to warrant a whole new adaptor. Here's hoping!

In other news - have you seen the new Z 40mm f2? Must admit I'm very tempted by it (and the new 28/2). In fact, an idea is forming of selling my Fuji X-E3 and replacing it with a Zfc or Z50 plus these lenses....

Lefty

Lefty,

In other news - have you seen the new Z 40mm f2?

Aye, I did. I also spotted this.

E9B3DAF4-477C-49ED-A913-21E0DF3DB0F2.jpeg

Oh my, that would look nice on a Df, but I really don't need a 28mm or a 40mm lens.

Joe

Lefty,

Aye, I did. I also spotted this.

E9B3DAF4-477C-49ED-A913-21E0DF3DB0F2.jpeg

Oh my, that would look nice on a Df, but I really don't need a 28mm or a 40mm lens.

Joe

That looks glorious. Bet it delivers the goods optically too.

I don't need a 28 either, but now you've got me thinking, it would compliment my 50/1.2 Ai-S and 105/2.5 Ai-S nicely, making a nice trio of primes....

Lefty

Lefty,

The Voigtlander primes I’ve tried have all been very good optically, and a few are excellent. The build quality might even make a Leica fan raise an eyebrow. They usually are not limited-edition kinds of lenses, but Voigtlander — well, Cosina — has an annoying habit of discontinuing a lens after it’s been in production for a few years. If you’re interested, buy before they end up on eBay for silly money.

Joe

Lefty,

The Voigtlander primes I’ve tried have all been very good optically, and a few are excellent. The build quality might even make a Leica fan raise an eyebrow. They usually are not limited-edition kinds of lenses, but Voigtlander — well, Cosina — has an annoying habit of discontinuing a lens after it’s been in production for a few years. If you’re interested, buy before they end up on eBay for silly money.

Joe

I can certainly echo Joe's comment regarding the quality of Voigtländer glass - I had the 28 & 35 Ultrons and 50 Nokton for my M240 and was mightily impressed. The Ultron 35 is a stunning thing especially.

I went on to purchase a 50 Summicron ASPH which whilst better than the Nokton, in most cases the difference simply wasn't worth the extra cost, and its build quality was certainly no better.

Edit: Here's also hoping the FTZ2 allows for screw-drive Nikkors.

The Voigtländer Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 is a such a nifty little pancake and almost utterly unfazed by sun in the frame. When I came across a used one for $300 Cdn I yelled, "Take my money now!"

Io0qnel.jpg

Nice tonality, too.

51415829191_166ecd47b6_b.jpg

Joe

Lefty,

Joe

I can certainly echo Joe's comment regarding the quality of Voigtländer glass - I had the 28 & 35 Ultrons and 50 Nokton for my M240 and was mightily impressed. The Ultron 35 is a stunning thing especially.

I went on to purchase a 50 Summicron ASPH which whilst better than the Nokton, in most cases the difference simply wasn't worth the extra cost, and its build quality was certainly no better.

Edit: Here's also hoping the FTZ2 allows for screw-drive Nikkors.

The seed has been well and truly planted. I briefly tried Mark LJ's Voigtlander 58/1.4 (I think?) oin my Z7 and it was a glorious thing.

Lefty

advertisement

Back