advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn’t metal sold in imperial cross section and metric length?
I don't really know. I've never bought metal officially, apart from that corrugated, galvanised sheeting from the builder's yard. You may very well be right.

And in some cases, the imperial measurements are used in Europe - my car has "17-Zoll[inch]" wheels.

Anyone who still cry’s “Brexit”.

Cousin commissioned a new prawn boat back in 2015, took delivery in 2017 and was promised unfettered/unchanging access to his daily markets in Spain/Portugal at time of Brexit but we all now realise that was a ****ing lie and is about to default on initial £150k loan for boat which is secured by his house and 4 crew members and 4 onshore workers are about to lose their jobs, so yeah………..I hurl abuse at everyone who still considers Brexit a good idea.

And that’s before I get started on the experimental genetic modification study into secondary progressive ms that I was about to be admitted to but that was cancelled due to insurmountable legalisation that was shrugged off by our Brexit overlords, so cheers for that as well.

Yes, I obviously get this, and I felt pretty riven about it when the gates went up. I still struggle with it, daily, yet this is the first time that I've heard or read anything about the shellfish/crustacea bombshell since the early part of the year. Your cousin apart, what's happening out there, and why isn't it being reported?

That apart, don't allow yourself to forget that the specific insurmountable legislation that is destroying your cousin's and his/her community is EU legislation, not ours. And it is arbitrary and senseless.

Whose 'insurmountable legislation', dare I ask, is it that is destroying your potential chances?

It's not a line of inquiry I would majorly press, since the whole thing is a 'done deal' now. However I do wonder what made you come down on that particular side, since it should have been clear that a gang of Thatcherite neoliberal-monetarists weren't leaving a neoliberal-monetarist economic union to become something else. Or that it would magically increase the UK's geopolitical influence among large power blocs. That in particular baffled me.

Aside from the ludicrously rose-tinted view of the EU from many centrist-type remainers, I think the charge that a huge number of Brexiters were and are simply clueless regarding the central facts of the problem is a justified charge. Almost every single point of contention the average Brexit voter puts forward as a reason is pure fantasy or a talking point from The Sun. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be crazy to say 'no-one can ever leave the EU, you're in or nothing', but the actual reasons given for departing were 99% fiction.

Well, you've certainly added another dimension to the Brexit debate here, and an interesting one. A shame that you're so dogmatic.

But then that's coming from me.

Google ads again with an ironic choice for the subject of the thread:

rq36ou6aj41z.png

Do you think the general voting public in Britain has gained 'more democracy'? In what sense?
I am not opening a bag of popcorn awaiting the reply as it will be gone horribly stale awaiting a well constructed reply to a one liner.
Brexiteer Brian the democrat has only an on/off switch. On, it is just a couple of well worn one liners beloved of deep thinking Brexiteers. Off, is just ignore and hope enough people keep posting to take it off the front page.

Well, you've certainly added another dimension to the Brexit debate here, and an interesting one. A shame that you're so dogmatic. But then that's coming from me.

Translation: Confused, dazed and punch drunk from lord knows what I stumbled into the ballot box and put the X were Mogg and Boris told me to put it. Suffering from obvious buyers remorse but keeps getting some electric shock cattle prod type thingy that moves him to morph into a kind of Rabb Bojo hybrid being talking gibberish that just meanders all over the place with no meaning . Dogmatic in this case means posting a lot of sense and making it very difficult to deflect.

Last edited:
Everyone who voted for this shitshow should hang their head in shame for the harm they have caused because of sodding “sovereignty” or some high faluting ideological ideals..

come to think of it, I haven’t seen Paul Ranson in these parts recently. Being a huge cheerleader for brexit, I wonder what he now has to say about the shitshow?

AUKUS the killer whale, no it’s actually the name of the new tri-nation pact to counter the threat of China in the Far East and which has seen France being dumped as the builder of six Oz subs. Jobs for UK manufacturing could be perceived as a benefit of Brexit in so much as we may not have got involved had we still been in the EU so as not to annoy the French. What d’ya reckon?

AUKUS the killer whale, no it’s actually the name of the new tri-nation pact to counter the threat of China in the Far East and which has seen France being dumped as the builder of six Oz subs. Jobs for UK manufacturing could be perceived as a benefit of Brexit in so much as we may not have got involved had we still been in the EU so as not to annoy the French. What d’ya reckon?

Still awaiting your reflections on your IMF growth projections post awhile ago. Is America first good for Brexit and the UK? The Aussies are going for American nuclear subs instead. Murky world of arms manufacturing. Just the kind of growth area the world now needs. A type of positive only a Brexiteer could grasp.

If it is hugely significant it doesn't bode well for UK relations with its nearest neighbours. China and Russia will be laughing, American arms manufacturers will have a new market to feed now that Afghanistan is no longer a production line filler. Sounds like business as usual to me with the UK rolling in behind the US yet again.

It's Australia's money and I suppose it's the duty of their government to get the best bang for the buck. Apparently nuclear powered subs are much better than their diesel equivalents. Not many countries have the know how to build them so why shouldn't we muscle in on the act if we have expertise in this area. It should create the kind of skilled jobs in manufacturing with apprenticeships etc that many on the left on PF say are so desirable and in contrast to those in the gig economy.

It's Australia's money and I suppose it's the duty of their government to get the best bang for the buck. Apparently nuclear powered subs are much better than their diesel equivalents. Not many countries have the know how to build them so why shouldn't we muscle in on the act. It should create the kind of skilled jobs in manufacturing with apprenticeships etc that many on the left on PF say are so desirable and in contrast to those in the gig economy.

They will be built in Adelaide

Queen Adelaide near Ely?

Yeah/but from the Sydney Herald:

Senior government officials confirmed the first one or two submarines could be built in the US or Britain but no decisions had been made.

I also suspect a lot of the component parts will come from the UK/US and then assembled in Oz - much like the Sydney Harbour bridge was built on the Tees and then assembled on site in Australia. There will be technological jobs for boffins and new graduates back in the UK.

I fancy a job in Adelaide myself - always wanted to see England in Australia in the Ashes plus there's the F1 season opener.

The South China Sea is shallow, so smaller and quieter diesels have an advantage there. Australias only real need for nuclear power is distance from Australia

Between the US and UK, we have 58% of global arms sales. To have a hand in so much destruction is not something to be proud of, in my view.

Last time I looked, Australia was a representative democracy and their elected government having given it careful consideration believe they need to procure nuclear powered subs as a defence from China.

Well they could have got some nice nuclear subs from the French. Maybe the manuals haven’t been translated yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back