advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Boris Johnson’s government has promised it will legislate to allow British traders to sell their wares in pounds and ounces, rather than grammes and kilos, as it unveiled plans to seek a deregulatory dividend from Brexit.”

WTF? No one knows how the hell those things work any more! I’ve still no idea how many ounces are in a lbs, how many shillings in a £ etc. Metric actually makes sense!

FT:

"Boris Johnson’s government has promised it will legislate to allow British traders to sell their wares in pounds and ounces, rather than grammes and kilos, as it unveiled plans to seek a deregulatory dividend from Brexit. The restoration of old imperial weights, long a demand of Brexiters who resented the imposition of metric measures by Brussels, was among the top potential benefits of the UK leaving the EU listed on Thursday by Lord David Frost, the minister responsible for implementing Brexit.

The possible upsides of the UK’s exit from the EU’s regulatory orbit also included allowing publicans to reintroduce the Crown Stamp on their glassware, which had been prohibited by Brussels but the review described as an “important symbol” of Britishness.

Nigel Farage, the former Ukip leader, Brexit protagonist and real ale enthusiast, said he was “delighted” with the reintroduction of the emblem on pint glasses."

Lol.

Jesus H. This ought to be an April fool. What a sorry excuse for a government.

I dip in and out of this thread, of which there appears to be 47 pages, as yet I have never caught it at a moment where there was a brexit positive.....am I just unlucky? (I'm a remain/European type - just to get it out there from the start)

S

WTF? No one knows how the hell those things work any more! I’ve still no idea how many ounces are in a lbs, how many shillings in a £ etc. Metric actually makes sense!

As I child of the 70s I was taught metric but have a better appreciation of long distances in miles as opposed to km.

There's loads of benefits to brexit. You are just blinkered.

I think you guessed correctly, and that’s why you voted for brexit, that it would take place and that gave anyone with a base in Europe an advantage. So basically to get one up on your competitors you voted to make the country less competitive to enrich yourself.

I can name one benefit to Brexit, it has highlighted how many utter ****ing cretinous human beings there are in the country

Hasn't it just...

Basically they thought it was an expensive waste of time.
They had no desire to contribute to a vague unconstrained beurocracy that would decide how to spend their hard earned readies.
Can't say I blame them.

Bit of a smelling issue there. Don't you mean 'beerocracy'?

Well yes, because the unit of distance for roads in the UK is miles.
Is it still officially in miles? To be honest I can't even picture it on a road sign in miles or Km! Some things have just been left alone, no-one asks for 568ml of beer, but is miles one of them?

How many people holding a different opinion to yourself have you hurled this abuse at in person?

Anyone who still cry’s “Brexit”.

Cousin commissioned a new prawn boat back in 2015, took delivery in 2017 and was promised unfettered/unchanging access to his daily markets in Spain/Portugal at time of Brexit but we all now realise that was a ****ing lie and is about to default on initial £150k loan for boat which is secured by his house and 4 crew members and 4 onshore workers are about to lose their jobs, so yeah………..I hurl abuse at everyone who still considers Brexit a good idea.

And that’s before I get started on the experimental genetic modification study into secondary progressive ms that I was about to be admitted to but that was cancelled due to insurmountable legalisation that was shrugged off by our Brexit overlords, so cheers for that as well.

Cousin commissioned a new prawn boat back in 2015, took delivery in 2017 and was promised unfettered/unchanging access to his daily markets in Spain/Portugal at time of Brexit but we all now realise that was a ****ing lie and is about to default on initial £150k loan for boat which is secured by his house and 4 crew members and 4 onshore workers are about to lose their jobs, so yeah………..I hurl abuse at everyone who still considers Brexit a good idea.

And that’s before I get started on the experimental genetic modification study into secondary progressive ms that I was about to be admitted to but that was cancelled due to insurmountable legalisation that was shrugged off by our Brexit overlords, so cheers for that as well.

Not sure why you’re thanking me.

I make no apologises for supporting democracy. I have as little time for the relatively small number of anti-democratic hard remainers as you do for 17.4m people. I’m sure Scottish independence, leaving your biggest trading partner and breaking up the UK can only improve matters. Cheers to you, too.

FT:

"Boris Johnson’s government has promised it will legislate to allow British traders to sell their wares in pounds and ounces, rather than grammes and kilos, as it unveiled plans to seek a deregulatory dividend from Brexit. The restoration of old imperial weights, long a demand of Brexiters who resented the imposition of metric measures by Brussels, was among the top potential benefits of the UK leaving the EU listed on Thursday by Lord David Frost, the minister responsible for implementing Brexit.

The possible upsides of the UK’s exit from the EU’s regulatory orbit also included allowing publicans to reintroduce the Crown Stamp on their glassware, which had been prohibited by Brussels but the review described as an “important symbol” of Britishness.

Nigel Farage, the former Ukip leader, Brexit protagonist and real ale enthusiast, said he was “delighted” with the reintroduction of the emblem on pint glasses."

Lol.

It does seem a bit odd, given that the last generation to have really known pounds and ounces is moving off the stage now.

However, I'm old enough to remember how infuriating and insulting it was for them to be told by faceless bureaucrats that it was actually illegal - an imprisonable offence, no less - for your greengrocer to sell you something in the weights and measures with which you were not only entirely familiar, as had been your parents and grandparents generations, and many before, but in which you wished to continue to buy.

We can smugly 'lol' about in now, of course, because we're all so much cleverer and better informed than they were.

I’m so sorry for your trial being cancelled, my ex brother-in-law had MS, it was horrible to watch his decline from being a really good amateur Rugby League player to struggling to walk and eventually being in a wheelchair.

And your cousin’s experience is obviously terrible too, obviously.

There’s hundreds/thousands of these individual stories of unnecessary failures caused directly by Brexit, yet we never really hear about the cumulative effect of these “little” stories.

My own little dream of being able to retire somewhere sunny on a relatively modest pension has been blown out of the water, but that pales into insignificance when compared to people losing their livelihoods and perhaps even the hope of a cure to a particularly cruel disease.

Everyone who voted for this shitshow should hang their head in shame for the harm they have caused because of sodding “sovereignty” or some high faluting ideological ideals..

It does seem a bit odd, given that the last generation to have really known pounds and ounces is moving off the stage now.

However, I'm old enough to remember how infuriating and insulting it was for them to be told by faceless bureaucrats that it was actually illegal - an imprisonable offence, no less - for your greengrocer to sell you something in the weights and measures with which you were not only entirely familiar, as had been your parents and grandparents generations, and many before, but in which you wished to continue to buy.

We can smugly 'lol' about in now, of course, because we're all so much cleverer and better informed than they were.
I agree, demonising a small greengrocer for selling a pound of pea swads is daft . Yet apart from cultural stuff like that most of industry in the UK was already working from the metric system. I'm in an old-fashioned trade so it still uses imperial from old systems and no one can see the process, but some do use metric as well.

Is it still officially in miles? To be honest I can't even picture it on a road sign in miles or Km! Some things have just been left alone, no-one asks for 568ml of beer, but is miles one of them?
Yes, UK road signs are still in miles. When we borrowed our daughter’s car, we had to re-set the satnav from kms to miles, as the former meant nothing to us. It’s very much a generational thing. Same with Fahrenheit and Centigrade.

A sign with which I am very familiar:

road-sign-at-the-northern-ireland-border-with-the-irish-republic-welcoming-E4J2AD.jpg

Ireland uses km/h. I always change the satnav to mph, so that I know which speed I'm doing.

I agree, demonising a small greengrocer for selling a pound of pea swads is daft . Yet apart from cultural stuff like that most of industry in the UK was already working from the metric system. I'm in an old-fashioned trade so it still uses imperial from old systems and no one can see the process, but some do use metric as well.
Wasn’t metal sold in imperial cross section and metric length?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back