advertisement

Do makers respond to emailed queries?

My experience with emailing companies in general, let alone hi-fi and music suppliers has not been good tbh. I don't understand this, because I think that email is a great way to communicate; it doesn't take you away from your work & you have time to give a considered response rather than having to have an answer at the tip of your tongue. It just means leaving some time at the end of the day to sort through your mail box; nothing difficult about that. We should stop making excuses for people who can't be arsed to do that. Two examples I can think of recently, I sent an enquiry about a replacement mat for my 401 and one to a record store checking the availability of an LP on their site; no response from either of them.

ATC are great, never emailed them but on the two occasions I've phoned, they put me through to someone who could answer technical queries, including Ben Lily on one occasion..I was especially chuffed to hear the receptionist say, "hurry up Ben, he's phoning from New Zealamd".

Ah, then perhaps I'll have to try phoning ATC as they never replied to my email enquiring as to the idle current of my SCM19As. The non reply did rather suprise me, given their excellent reputation.

Emailed Creek, because when I plugged headphones into my Evo 50, the speakers stayed on, even though the menu said they’d switch off I.e. I selected that option. Took a couple of weeks and the reply was” sorry- no idea why that’s happening”

Never had an issues getting replies from manufacturers though I personally prefer to speak to someone if possible, but never had issues.

Quad: Always fast, no-nonsense advice.

Naim: Only answered 2 out of 3 of my questions. The third was asking about whether the Uniti Atom HE was flexible enough to be used into a sensitive power amplifier (0.125V!) and still maintain reasonable control of the volume. I emailed again (politely) asking the same question and it’s still gone unanswered. They lost a sale there. By contrast I asked Quad the same question about the Artera Pre and received a very helpful response the following day.

Chord: Mixed results. Wouldn't go out of my way to buy another DAC from them in the future.

BAT and Hegel, fast response and very helpful advice to technical questions.
Chord, Very helpful when I wanted to know the latency of their DACs with a view to incorporating in a system with DSP/sub, and when my power supply for a 2Qute packed up I received a replacement the day after emailing.

Naim - hopelessly inconsistent. Still waiting for a reply to an email from 2020.

Chord - not immediately but certainly comprehensively.

Innuos - magnificent.

Another, Innuos magnificent, vote here. Always worth singing the praises of a company that really respects its customers.

I contacted primare recently to enquire if it was possible to source a case top for an i22 amplifier.

I received an automatic notification to say that most emails are responded to within 48 hours.
The next morning I received a polite reply saying that yes, they could provide the part I was after and gave me the contact of the Uk distributor and copied them in! Needless to say within a short period of time I received the part and the whole experience was very good!
Top service from primare and their Uk distributor karma audio visual. I’m still almost amazed that they are able to provide a metalwork case item and, to an individual who wants to repair it themselves and that it was very straightforward.

advertisement

Back