advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

Can’t believe some of these prices being quoted on here.
My Octopus 2 year fixed deal is £99 a month and every quarter I get a wodge back because there is too much in credit.

Why compare like this. How many people in your household? How old are you, what do you do in your house? Is most of your time spent on a golf course etc

Good heavens; do you live in a multi-roomed mansion, have rooms full of valved amps going or run a domestic steel mill?:)
Mine is over £200 too - but there are 14 rooms to heat with radiators, no special circuits and it is Grade 2 listed, Conservation Area, spread over 4 floors, and was built in 1785 before anyone thought about cavity walls. So there are 'issues'!.

I am 'allowed' secondary glazing though which is quite a big help...it is far less draughty and the external road noise better.
I am specifically NOT allowed double glazing, roof solar panels or a windmill. Without a stream I cannot get water power either. Heat pumps are not suitable for the construction of the house (never mind the upheaval!) . Not enough garden area for a decent ground source pipe either - nor access for the machinery to create say a borehole version, unless you want to helicopter it in.

Still we love the house and it is what it is and costs what it costs.

Why compare like this. How many people in your household? How old are you, what do you do in your house? Is most of your time spent on a golf course etc

Golf one afternoon a week in the summer.
Two pensioners.
Indoors 90% of the time.
Hardly been out of the house since covid began.
1970s 4 bedroomed semi.
Gas c/h, thermostatic radiator valves in every room, hive controller, boiler a year old.

I cannot envisage how it is possible to run up over £200 a month bills.

I could say the same to you.
Your £279 is equally meaningless.

Recently both the Sun and Wind have been rather absent.....

Yep. So much for renewables (*); we've had to import gas to fill the gap caused by a significant 'low wind' period.

(*) or rather, it proves how we need a national storage solution as well.

Our latest notification from EDF says that our monthly payments will increase to £123 to cover both gas and electricity. Thats for a detached 5 bedroom house over 3 floors with 19 rads. Living on the SE coast is a bonus but we spend a lot more on electricity than for the gas central heating.

Thats for 19 rads all but 1 fitted with wireless thermostats and hot water with a weather compensated boiler. All controlled with an app on iOS and Android.

Its still a 14% price increase though and we are in an 'Easy on-line 2 year fix' to July22 contract!

Cheers,

DV

I've just had the same scary uplift-quotes at renewal as everyone else.

Fortunately - I live in a modest slice of a 1770s Georgian terraced building, which while totally-uninsulated, has very heavy thermally-effective fabric and doesn't suffer from much total exposed surface area; 3 huge south-facing windows & also - have a lovely Aussie couple as neighbours downstairs of many years who like high ambient temps: so -esp. in the heating season - have a nice cushion from the 8feet of rather hot dead-air above their heads to this end... it's a better flywheel than the average gas price 'fix'!

I’m quite surprised by the sizes of some of your DDs. I’m sure we’re only paying about £110/month here, but maybe that’s the Fifer in me being super frugal.

Had to check, but it's £107 a month here for gas and 'leccy.

5 bedroom Edwardian house in the middle of a mini-terrace of three. Extremely draughty. Everyone else in the road seems to have had replacement windows fitted, but we're holding out in case we can cash in on the 'host of original features' selling point.

My monthly bill (electricity only) has gone up from about £50 to £75 or so. I live alone in a 1-bed flat.

But its a valid point no?

We have washing machine on twice day, in the winter to cope the tumble dryer the same. We could probably do without the dishwasher in fairness. Kettle on at least 10 times a day.
4 pcs in the house, again OTT here, boys are both gamers, so semi powerfull/hungry, mine is defo power hungry, then of course the hifi, not to mention the server with roon, thats a bit of a beast* etc etc. There are last count 30 plugs in use in the sitting room.

*To be fair I am trying to sort a solution to turning that off, last I dared check it consumes circa £34 a month.

This may be a fair time to start sorting my shit out. but 4 people use more power than 2 people that is a reality.

Deffo. Our two moved out some time back, so it's hard to compare gas/electricity use now with use then. But our two weren't gamers; the older one was usually hanging out with her dubious mates on College Green of an evening.

Golf one afternoon a week in the summer.
Two pensioners.
Indoors 90% of the time.
Hardly been out of the house since covid began.
1970s 4 bedroomed semi.
Gas c/h, thermostatic radiator valves in every room, hive controller, boiler a year old.

I cannot envisage how it is possible to run up over £200 a month bills.

I could say the same to you.
Your £279 is equally meaningless.

2 kids, working at home quite often in the evening, washing machine/tumble dryer often on as there isn’t loads of drying room, heating is the big bill, circa 1800 farm cottage with stone flag floors, solid walls and no foundations. Both working irregular hours including evenings, so the dishwasher etc is invaluable.

advertisement

Back