advertisement

Pink Floyd - special/deluxe/extended editions

tiggers

pfm Member
I am a bit of a fringe Pink Floyd fan. The Wall is one of my favourite albums of all time, but aside from DSOTM, Wish You Were Here and Division Bell I don't have any of their other material. All of the releases I have are standard vinyl (The Wall, Division Bell) or standard CDs from their time of release.

My question to the PF aficionados is are their any deluxe, remastered, reworked, extended or enhanced editions of their albums (the ones I have and others I don't) and if so which ones are worth picking up. I am leaning more towards CDs than vinyl, but happy to consider either.

I have a surround version of DSOTM.
I generally don't like deluxe versions of anything with remixes and outtakes tacked on the end, it clutters the album when you play the thing in full

Nope. Nice pre 1980 analogue pressings of all their albums fom 67-79 on vinyl and The Early Years CD Box set has you covered. Personally, I don't much care for the Wall. Early UK and German AAD CDs are also very good.

I have lot more besides, but never listen to it, except a couple of the 75-77 bootlegs.

The "Early Years" and Immersion editions are essential to get hold of demos / singles / live recordings that are officially unavailable elsewhere.

When you go down the rabbit hole of CD versions to get to the 'best' sounding, unless you have deep pockets, later remasters are the way to go. Just check out the multitude of masterings of "Saucerful" to see what I mean.

I've got DSD versions ripped from the SACD of DSOTM and WYWH and 24/96 versions of Meddle, Live at Pompeii, WYWH, Division Bell and Endless River. All worth having over the 44/16 CD-res.

As Seeker_UK said: "When you go down the rabbit hole of CD versions to get to the 'best' sounding, unless you have deep pockets, later remasters are the way to go."

I've just realized that over the years I have purchased 7 versions of DSOTM - 3 vinyl, 3 CD and 1 SACD :-(

Last edited:
Remember years back that my flat mate had the quad vinyl WYWH but we only had a standard playback system (LP12, Grace, Supex 900), was interesting listening even in stereo!

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks for the replies people, so no definitive or must have versions etc.
Who said that?

It depends on your pocket money, your equipment and the time you want to devote to the affair :)

Personally, with a dCS Rossini in house, I go for DSD when available - in my case DSOTM and WYWH.
For the rest I listen to hi-res if I have it, if not MoFi (CD rips - I rarely use the CD itself) if I have it, otherwise I just enjoy whatever version I happened to buy when I came round to acquiring that album. For most titles I only have one digital and/or one vinyl copy

Slightly away from the actual OP question, I’d recommend having a listen to Animals. Released between WYWH and The Wall, it’s one of my favourite PF albums. Accused by some of having puerile lyrics, I disagree, they’re just simple metaphors.

Anyway, I think it’s a somewhat overlooked album, well worth a listen.

Who said that?

It depends on your pocket money, your equipment and the time you want to devote to the affair :)

Personally, with a dCS Rossini in house, I go for DSD when available - in my case DSOTM and WYWH.
For the rest I listen to hi-res if I have it, if not MoFi (CD rips - I rarely use the CD itself) if I have it, otherwise I just enjoy whatever version I happened to buy when I came round to acquiring that album. For most titles I only have one digital and/or one vinyl copy

Sorry what I should have said is that there are no easy 'no brainer' decisions as in obvious choices at a good value level. I am tempted by The Wall Immersive Edition simply as I love that album so much and would get something out of the live performances and demos.

I am a bit of a fringe Pink Floyd fan. The Wall is one of my favourite albums of all time, but aside from DSOTM, Wish You Were Here and Division Bell I don't have any of their other material. All of the releases I have are standard vinyl (The Wall, Division Bell) or standard CDs from their time of release.

My question to the PF aficionados is are their any deluxe, remastered, reworked, extended or enhanced editions of their albums (the ones I have and others I don't) and if so which ones are worth picking up. I am leaning more towards CDs than vinyl, but happy to consider either.

I never buy any deluxe or new remastered versions of anything - including Floyd. I just listen to the originals. I prefer albums as they were first intended to be.

I never buy any deluxe or new remastered versions of anything - including Floyd. I just listen to the originals. I prefer albums as they were first intended to be.

I think you may be missing out in some cases. For example, some of Stephen Wilson’s various prog remasterings are rather excellent, and my SACD (remastered) version of Selling England by the Pound is superb.

I think what I’m trying to say is that some remasterings are closer to what they were originally intended to be. And no, I don’t know, how could I? It’s just my subjective judgment.

I have the Immersion sets of DSOTM and WYWH and the only other copies I have are the original vinyl I bought as a teenager which are worn and a bit crackly. Overkill if not already a big fan for sure, but worth it for the hi-res copy of the album you can rip from the DVDs included.

I can recommend WYWH experience edition, a double CD. Disc one is remastered versions of the standard album while Disc two has live versions and added tracks including the standout track Wish you were here with Stephan Grapelli going bonkers on violin. I probably play this more than any other Pink Floyd track, it is absolutely cracking. Only listen if you don’t mind smiling with excitement.

advertisement

Back