advertisement

Buying an LP for its cover…

This was my most recent such purchase. So much going on in that photo. What on earth is going on? Turned out to be a great album too
Joy_as_an_Act_of_Resistance
i.jpg

Loads of my early purchases were white label 12” vinyl.. a quick 20 second blast on a pair of headphones in the record shop, a tasty spinback and a couple of needle drops further into the disc and you’d decide. No cover, no label, just 150bpm madness.. some turned out to be absolute classics and I still have them all.

When I were a student…. Browsing albums in a record store (Virgin records in Brighton the classic) buying albums was often done on the cover art alone. Frequently found great stuff!

unlike a book, there was never any blurb on an album cover to help you, you just had go by the category it was in at the shop!

I remember that place. You could actually sit down on cushions with yer bird and got a pair of headphones each. I was in there with my beau and opened a letter than gave me a job I was after. Naturally I had to shout to make beau hear and apparently all the shop that didn’t have phones on just collapsed in laughter. Beau picked it up and started laughing too. Being highly intelligent I finally realised what was going on and joined in. Nice we were all being super-cool but being human trumped that :)

61gzlcuq--L.jpg

Found this record in a charity shop 15 years ago... bought it for the cover, had no idea what it was... Now it's one of my favourite funk/soul records of all time.
Superb album from beginning to end. I’m also convinced Michael Jackson stole his trademark ’ eeheee’ from Millie.

In 1978 I walked into my local record store in a small town in the west of Ireland. Spotted this album with a cover that just told you it was likely to be something special. When I put it on my TT, it did not disappoint. It was Van Halens self titled debut. It blew my mind then and still does

Boss Hog ‎– Drinkin', Lechin', & Lyin'

In 1989 a totally horny 20 yr old me bought this EP for the rather fetching picture of Christina Martinez on the cover. I won't put it here for obvious reasons but you can google it. Turned out to be rather good music as well :)

advertisement

Back