advertisement

Your Most Embarrassing Favourite Albums

I’ve pondered this thread for a while and can’t think of anything I’m even remotely embarrassed about these days. I have a lot of stuff I’d have cringed at as a blinkered rock/new-wave fan 40+ years ago (e.g. a load of disco, soul etc). I have a load of stuff a classical purist would sneer at (anything outside my classical collection, and they’d likely sneer at that), some stuff certain jazz purists would sneer at (though they’d be wrong). I’ve got techno records dad rock or prog fans would sneer at, and vice versa, but nothing remains to my knowledge that I don’t like, or is at least there for good reason. That’s the benefit of being a record dealer, the whole thing is fluid, the filler doesn’t stay around.

I guess if I had to pick something it would be late-period T. Rex as some of that really is pretty bad (anything after Tanx IMO). I’d never let Futuristic Dragon go though even though it is naff, it was the first gig I ever went to and the tour programme is in the sleeve.

PS I suspect I’ve got a good enough record collection that I could troll pretty much anyone!

Difficult one to answer...
My "favorite album" is a moving target. Or should that be multiple moving targets?

I suppose Nylon Beat by the Finnish girls band of the same name might fir the bill. Got to see the band at least three times in Finland. Wanabe by the Spice Girls comes a close second.

An album that I have loved since before I was a teenager was from a trio based in Spain called Los Zafiros (not to be confused with the Cuban band with the same name who I also really like. The album is called 'Ole', but as I have several pressings, one of the other pressings is called 'Los Zafiros in London'.

They were apparently popular at the time with the MOR audience, which may explain why I had the album (my parents bought it c1969), and frequently appeared on the Morcambe and Wise Show and also on the Benny Hill Show. The point is they are all exceptional vocalists and guitarists, and not unlike the Gypsy Kings. One of them plays a cut-down Spanish guitar and produced some of the best acoustic fretwork that I have ever heard. Though I am no longer much of a collector these days, I have four of their other recordings but know that I am missing at least one other - no doubt they are around but probably only in charity shops or in the collections left by departed parents?

BAF32832-E5-A5-4084-87-CE-C3-A2-AA5-EA773.jpg
Still one of my fave pop albums, bubblegum pop at its lightweight best.

Or Dynasty!
Ha! What a coincidence. I dropped in on this thread to say that right now I'm listening to Ace Frehley's solo album from 1978. A fabulous hard rock record without an ounce of filler and, by far, the best thing to ever come out with either his or Kiss's name on it. One for Cheap Trick and Dictators fans.

IIRC, after this did far better than Gene & Paul's solo records they gave him loads more songs and lead vocals on the next two albums (Dynasty and unmasked) and then kicked him out. His subsequent solo albums were disappointing 80's metal sludge without the subversively druggy pop smarts of this one.

Jim Reeves' "12 Songs of Christmas". I make no apologies. It reminds me of Christmas as a child, and it still gets played every year.

An album that I have loved since before I was a teenager was from a trio based in Spain called Los Zafiros (not to be confused with the Cuban band with the same name who I also really like. The album is called 'Ole', but as I have several pressings, one of the other pressings is called 'Los Zafiros in London'.

They were apparently popular at the time with the MOR audience, which may explain why I had the album (my parents bought it c1969), and frequently appeared on the Morcambe and Wise Show and also on the Benny Hill Show. The point is they are all exceptional vocalists and guitarists, and not unlike the Gypsy Kings. One of them plays a cut-down Spanish guitar and produced some of the best acoustic fretwork that I have ever heard. Though I am no longer much of a collector these days, I have four of their other recordings but know that I am missing at least one other - no doubt they are around but probably only in charity shops or in the collections left by departed parents?
This sounds like exactly the kind of vinyl that would found between a ‘Top of the Pops’ LP and ‘Mrs.Mills Party Album’, in the charity shop. In a good way.

I regularly put on T'Pau's Bridge of Spies, and still think it's a great album.

Also, Hi Infidelity by REO Speedwagon.

Both bring back memories of different things...

I had forgotten about REO Speedwagon. They spent a lot of time on my car stereo in the 80s - remember then you always bought an old banger and took it straight round to the car audio shop to stick a Pioneer or Clarion head unit in and enjoy better music. Never mind the rust holes in the doors - they just ventilated the bass drivers!

advertisement

Back