advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
M&S pulling out of Europe surely means more prawn sandwiches for us. A positive.

It is isn't it ? It is a positive overall ? Right ? It would fit on the side of a big red bus as a positive.

Nick, I didn't vote to leave the EU because of the tories. I voted to leave the EU because of the EU. Tories have no relevance in that decision for me.

One clear advantage of no longer being part of the EU is that it removes from governments the smokescreen of the EU, behind which they can, as members, push for policies that they wouldn't dare put before the electorate. Such policies are themselves shaped from the pressure of powerful corporate lobbyists, the NFU being a prime example, or corporations such as VW.

This option of what Monbiot refers to as 'diffusion of responsibility' is no longer available to UK governments, they will be directly answerable to the electorate, and, Henry VIII (and an ineffective opposition) notwithstanding, subject to the scrutiny of Parliament.

Incidentally, your rather childish evasion in regard of the EU and human rights ("because the tories are worse") is a prime example of... 'whataboutism'. Once again, just for absolute clarity, I didn't vote to leave the EU because if the tories. You're beginning to sound as though you voted to remain because of them. It really isn't a good reason.

So the M&S Chairman (and former Tory MP and Brexiteer) went on LBC to talk about Brexit. The summary in this article basically buries the lede which is that the Chairman of one of your biggest retailers and supermarkets didn't understand Brexit and is now surprised that the additional costs for British business *that he caused by voting for us to leave the EU*.

If you watch the video he literally says *we all had to go on a crash course about what customs union is*. You voted to take us out you blithering idiot!

I do feel it's time for the Brexiteers to eat some humble pie and admit that Project Fear was not the problem as much as Project Stupid.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/present...t-eu-pointless-bureaucracy-marks-and-spencer/

Nick, I didn't vote to leave the EU because of the tories. I voted to leave the EU because of the EU. Tories have no relevance in that decision for me.

One clear advantage of no longer being part of the EU is that it removes from governments the smokescreen of the EU, behind which they can, as members, push for policies that they wouldn't dare put before the electorate. Such policies are themselves shaped from the pressure of powerful corporate lobbyists, the NFU being a prime example, or corporations such as VW.

This option of what Monbiot refers to as 'diffusion of responsibility' is no longer available to UK governments, they will be directly answerable to the electorate, and, Henry VIII (and an ineffective opposition) notwithstanding, subject to the scrutiny of Parliament.

Incidentally, your rather childish evasion in regard of the EU and human rights ("because the tories are worse") is a prime example of... 'whataboutism'. Once again, just for absolute clarity, I didn't vote to leave the EU because if the tories. You're beginning to sound as though you voted to remain because of them. It really isn't a good reason.

And you STILL haven't answered my question:

If you are so concerned about human rights, then why did you vote Tory?

I felt it was pretty obvious that leaving would result in exactly what is now coming to pass, and not just because of the tories administering the aftermath.

Yes, it’s clear they are corrupt and venal, but the cutting of trade, removing free movement of labour and capital, separation from established E.U laws and standards and everything else that ‘Project Fear’ warned specifically about were going to be catastrophic when brought together.

It is a fallacy to argue that the aims were pure, and that it could have been so much better, if only done properly. The aims weren’t pure - it’s largely about avoiding tax and financial scrutiny for the wealthiest instigators of this whole mess. The rest of it is a fake construct that half the voters were suckered into, based on their existing prejudices and various other whipped up hatreds.

M&S pulling out of Europe surely means more prawn sandwiches for us. A positive.

It is isn't it ? It is a positive overall ? Right ? It would fit on the side of a big red bus as a positive.
M&S central Edinburgh today- whole refrigerated aisles with the blinds down over the displays. Later, Tesco Express, the wine and beer shelves completely empty. I’ve not seen this since the Covid hoarding frenzy in March 2020

So the M&S Chairman (and former Tory MP and Brexiteer) went on LBC to talk about Brexit. The summary in this article basically buries the lede which is that the Chairman of one of your biggest retailers and supermarkets didn't understand Brexit and is now surprised that the additional costs for British business *that he caused by voting for us to leave the EU*.

If you watch the video he literally says *we all had to go on a crash course about what customs union is*. You voted to take us out you blithering idiot!

I do feel it's time for the Brexiteers to eat some humble pie and admit that Project Fear was not the problem as much as Project Stupid.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/present...t-eu-pointless-bureaucracy-marks-and-spencer/
M&S look like they’ve aligned themselves with the Wetherspoons/JCB/Next/Dyson camp of pro- Brexit businesses. I keep seeing their TV adverts for M&S food fronted by some young Geordie chef I’ve never heard of, where everything is British, everything is fresh, delivered in hours from the field to your plate and tastes better than any childhood memory.

Their Chief Executive has complained EU food standard/ customs regulations aren’t fit for purpose so he’ll just stop exporting. European producers will be rubbing their hands. Little Britain shakes its tiny pink fist again- what a captivating business model.

M&S look like they’ve aligned themselves with the Wetherspoons/JCB/Next/Dyson camp of pro- Brexit businesses. I keep seeing their TV adverts for M&S food fronted by some young Geordie chef I’ve never heard of, where everything is British, everything is fresh, delivered in hours from the field to your plate and tastes better than any childhood memory.

Their Chief Executive has complained EU food standard/ customs regulations aren’t fit for purpose so he’ll just stop exporting. European producers will be rubbing their hands. Little Britain shakes its tiny pink fist again- what a captivating business model.

….and appparently we are about extend the period EU countries can export to the UK without the full panoply of paperwork (because the UK, after six years is still unprepared to handle it), while our exporters need to fully compliant. This further demonstrates the incompetence and lies of the Tories.

Oven-ready deal? Bullshit and lies
**** business. Didn’t lie in that regard.

Still, as ET (our resident EU-Anon conspiracy theorist) assures us, it’s the EU that are the baddies.

Last edited:
Overheard on R4 Today - people involved in recruitment in the seasonal, hospitality and food industries. "It was expected that UK population would fill the vacancies created by Brexit" - ha only by people who have never tried to recruit in the UK before, or those who didn't give a shit about such matters.

Hurrah! Brexit is creating jobs*…

"Citing Brexit, the chairman of Pentland Group has relocated overseas according to The Times, who first reported the news. Stephen Rubin was Britain’s biggest taxpayer three years ago according to The Sunday Times Tax List. His brand management company Pentland Group is the largest shareholder in JD Sports, and owns other sports clothing brands including Speedo and Berghaus." https://www.cityam.com/jd-sports-shareholders-pentland-move-to-ireland-in-brexit-aftermath/

Lots of jobs...

"JD Sports update on its Brexit mitigations: temporarily leasing 115,000 sq ft in Lille for online fulfilment. Longer term taking 620,000 ft for a regional distribution centre in Heerlen in Netherlands (close to borders with Germany & Belgium.) Dublin warehouse operating soon." https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1437678324055150594

* In the EU

I’ve not seen this since the Covid hoarding frenzy in March 2020
The bogroll, pasta and olive oil frenzy has started here. The price of the latter is going to rocket after all those fires on the continent this year. Maybe the pasta and olive oil diet requires the bogroll. Who'd have thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back