advertisement

Audiolab DC Block

A DC blocker is effective at stopping mains born DC
It makes the transformer quieter ...IF it's affected by DC

Not sure it actually improves the sound quality out of the speakers though ?

(Yes...I have used DC blockers and isolation transformers before)

My experience of the Isotek Syncro DC Blocker would suggest that some of the claims in the video are a little optimistic.
DC Blockers tend to address buzzing transformers rather than the sound coming out of the speakers.
That being said the price quoted is definitely more affordable than the 1st generation Syncro I use.

I have used balanced isolation transformers but they have a tendency to buzz :-(

EDIT given post#3 below: I use mine on the SME turntable power supply. Both SME 20 mk2 and mk3 power supplies buzz without the DC blocker. My dCS and Aesthetix boxes don't need the Syncro - probably include appropriate internal counter-measures. My previous Naim stuff did need DC blocking.

Last edited:
Not sure it actually improves the sound quality out of the speakers though ?

While there's no definitive answer possible to this question because every case will be different, a transformer that is buzzing due to AC waveform clipping ('DC offset') is undergoing severe saturation causing audible magnetostriction - the loss of efficiency is significant while this is happening, something like 90% loss is common. IME, that will be most obvious in bass performance.

The flipside is an underspecified DC blocker - in the case of designs featuring capacitors at least - will negatively impact power stage dynamics, so cheap/bodge solutions are very-much to be avoided.

I believe designs like the ifi one use a solid state solution, but I'm not up to date with how they go about it. It's proven difficult to make cap-based solutions CE-compliant because they rely on high ripple-current / lowish voltage non-mains class caps so as not to restrict current. They're perfectly safe, but apparently 'computer says "no"'...

I have the ATL DC Blocker V3. While it hasn't stopped all the mechanical hum it has eliminated the annoying higher level intermittent hum which plagued my system. It can supplied with a range of connections to suit your needs. Standard fuse is 8amp with 10amp optional. The unit is CE marked.

Can't say I noticed any change in sound quality.

The Audio lab is limited to 600va, I don't think it would suit my system with 3 X NAP250s.

I was going to buy one these in July but they were out of stock due to supply issues, I have an audiolab 8200p that has a low frequency hum and thought that it would eliminate the humming sound.

I was going to buy one these in July but they were out of stock due to supply issues, I have an audiolab 8200p that has a low frequency hum and thought that it would eliminate the humming sound.

Some transformers just hum, others hum worse when there is a DC offset on the mains. Whether DC Blocker makes a difference all depends on why your transformer hums.

Our houses and our neighbours houses are full of smps of varying design quality these days. We had to replace the single RCD on one half of the consumer board with individual MCBOs to avoid nuisance trips. The electrician believes that the little bits of offset from lots of smps adds up and upsets the RCD.

Where does this DC offset come from? In the UK (at least) Netural is bonded to Earth, so it's hard to see where a DC offset could arise without causing a loud bang.

There used to be equipment that drew power unequally from positive and negative cycles eg live chassis TVs and thyristor power controls. These have largely vanished due to regulations on mains current harmonics.
Also, earth might not be 0V if you live near a 3rd rail electric railway

There used to be equipment that drew power unequally from positive and negative cycles eg live chassis TVs and thyristor power controls. These have largely vanished due to regulations on mains current harmonics.
Also, earth might not be 0V if you live near a 3rd rail electric railway

TIL! But even is earth is not at 0V, if Neutral is bonded to it they must be equipotential.

Where does this DC offset come from? In the UK (at least) Netural is bonded to Earth, so it's hard to see where a DC offset could arise without causing a loud bang.
See the half-wave rectified appliance example under "How DC Appears on the Mains" on the Rod Elliott audio page here.

The key phrase is "by half-wave rectifying the mains in this manner, there is an inevitable interaction with the mains impedance". This interaction occurs only on one mains polarity and hence causes a DC offset.

Would there be any benefit on a CD transport? Or just for amplifiers?

i am just playing with my isotek syncro on a modest cd player . compared to another brand of mains filter

it was pretty effective on an arcam integrated , tightened everything up . i had no problems with dc but I do find it can improve sound sometimes . the most effective was a puresound L10 pre amp which really made a difference

at some point i may sell the syncro to raise funds though

Would there be any benefit on a CD transport? Or just for amplifiers?

It will be just as effective in removing the buzzing sound from any mains transformer (ie a mechanical buzzing from the item itself, not buzzing through the speakers) which is generating the buzz due to DC on the mains specifically.
Some transformers will buzz anyway....
It won't effect sound quality.

It will be just as effective in removing the buzzing sound from any mains transformer (ie a mechanical buzzing from the item itself, not buzzing through the speakers) which is generating the buzz due to DC on the mains specifically.
Some transformers will buzz anyway....
It won't effect sound quality.
Same opinion here. Never noticed any significant sound improvement with the Isotek Syncro but it is effective on transformer buzz caused by DC - that's why I keep it but only use it on one item, an SME 20 power supply.

Where does this DC offset come from? In the UK (at least) Neutral is bonded to Earth, so it's hard to see where a DC offset could arise without causing a loud bang.

You have it right: this is not actually any significant DC-voltage offset - there really is not any - but what effects arise from, and appear the same as 'dc offset' to cursory measurement technique because it is hard to tell apart without some refinement and no little effort - is significant 2nd harmonic distortion.

See the posts by @davidsrsb and @John Phillips above. HTH.

do these things wear out? need replacing every few years?

I've got a caps-and-diodes based blocker here, using 33,000uF 15VDC electrolytics that has been in constant use since 2007. TBH, if any of the components ever see high enough current or voltage to break them, you'll probably also have smouldering wires hanging out of your plasterwork...

advertisement

Back