advertisement

V

Rodrat

pfm Member
WE have been watching the original and the 2009 remake. Gave up on the original series after about half way through as the plots and acting were getting a bit tedious. The 2009 reboot was as good as I remember until we finished season 2. I had forgotten that they pulled it and there was no season 3. Real shame as it was building to a good climax.

Whilst shows get pulled here, it does seem that in the USA sci-fi series seem to be canned frequently, given so many do I wonder why they are commissioned in the first place given the failure rate?

Haven't watched V, but on the subject of US channels pulling shows, the most irritating was Fast Forward. That one series I really enjoyed, unfortunately not enough viewers warranted it being scheduled for the intended second series.

We stopped watching US series like this a few years back after an intriguing sci fi series left season one with a load of unanswered questions and teasers, then got canned before season two was shot. So we decided not to invest in a series before it became established. And now, once they are established there’s no point because we don’t binge watch and would never catch up. So the bean counters have driven us away and I hope there’s millions like us.

The vast majority of shows end like this though don’t they?
They continue until the viewing figures drop then the writers are told to cobble an ending together.
Thee is rarely a complete story arc from start to finish.

They continue until the viewing figures drop then the writers are told to cobble an ending together.
Yes. So even less reason to get invested.

In the case of V, they had one episode to tie it all up and tie it all up they did not! It was as though they didn't know it was being canned until they were a quarter of the way through shooting the last episode.

In the case of V, they had one episode to tie it all up and tie it all up they did not! It was as though they didn't know it was being canned until they were a quarter of the way through shooting the last episode.
I also think sometimes they don’t have a clear idea of how it all resolves, and are planning to keep it stringing along as long as possible. So if called upon to wrap it up, there’s no coherent narrative that can do so, because that particular can had been kicked down the road and nobody had thought it through.

The original was essentially a soap opera, so I wasn't motivated to catch the remake. Also it was on network TV, not exactly an indication of potential quality.

I also think sometimes they don’t have a clear idea of how it all resolves, and are planning to keep it stringing along as long as possible. So if called upon to wrap it up, there’s no coherent narrative that can do so, because that particular can had been kicked down the road and nobody had thought it through.
There's also the reverse, when a show wraps up neatly after three series, then due to popularity gets another two or three painfully wrung out of it.

There's also the reverse, when a show wraps up neatly after three series, then due to popularity gets another two or three painfully wrung out of it.
Then there is the happy medium, a pre-determined amount of series that won't be thrashed to within an inch of its life. I give you The Wire.

I think I saw the original V in the 1980’s.

Aliens who appear humanoid and eat gerbils, or hamsters? Eat them whole as I recall.

That is all I can find in my head.

It was no Twin Peaks.

Lost is a classic example.

Buffy spin-off Angel was cancelled at short notice, after five seasons, despite decent viewing figures. Joss Whedon managed to wrap things up pretty well, but he had great things planned for season 6 and I'm sorry we never got to see them.

Sometimes the pressures on the production team to keep the successful first series going are too great. They aren't always given the time needed to develop the follow up seasons.

We enjoyed the first season of Heroes, second season had gone off the boil a bit, by season 3 they had lost the plot and us as viewers.

I think I saw the original V in the 1980’s.

Aliens who appear humanoid and eat gerbils, or hamsters? Eat them whole as I recall.

That is all I can find in my head.

It was no Twin Peaks.

Hehe, Twin Peaks and Lost. There’s a few months of my life I’ll never get back:(!

Hehe, Twin Peaks and Lost. There’s a few months of my life I’ll never get back:(!

The first series of Twin Peaks was worth watching, I thought.

Never bothered with Lost.

I do not understand what made you watch something if you didn’t enjoy it?

I thought V was just silly so didn't care if I missed an episode or two. Lost on the other hand was a weekly treat that even now I miss. Yes, some episodes were turgid but always hinted at something mysterious and impactful to come.

The first series more so but no more silly than Stars Wars or dare I say Star Trek. Love them all but lets face it sci-if is largely silly.

I thought V was just silly so didn't care if I missed an episode or two. Lost on the other hand was a weekly treat that even now I miss. Yes, some episodes were turgid but always hinted at something mysterious and impactful to come.
Something that never arrived.

advertisement

Back