advertisement

Stereophile: Ken Micallef’s system

Tony L

Administrator

He’s another one like Art Dudley, Sam Tellig and Herb Riechert who seem to be very much on the same basic path as myself when it comes to audio. I’d love to hear those Shindo amps, I bet they are very much my sort of thing, likewise the DeVore O/96. I do wish he’d fix or replace the top-platter on his TD-124 though, that warp just triggers the hell out of me!

PS The new Technics amp sounds interesting in a bafflingly high-tech way. Maybe something genuinely new there.

He’s another one like Art Dudley, Sam Tellig and Herb Riechert who seem to be very much on the same basic path as myself when it comes to audio. I’d love to hear those Shindo amps, I bet they are very much my sort of thing, likewise the DeVore O/96. I do wish he’d fix or replace the top-platter on his TD-124 though, that warp just triggers the hell out of me!

PS The new Technics amp sounds interesting in a bafflingly high-tech way. Maybe something genuinely new there.

Noel Keywood reviews the amp in the current HFW and its one of the few products to get only 3 balls.
Lots of distortion from the power amp - much more than from a good traditional Class AB amp. A 303 kills it except on power of course.

Yes, agree, that platter would drive me crazy too! He certainly does have quite a range of gear in the house.

Funnily enough, I was just watching this video. I like the look of his Kuzma Stabi R and 4Point and would love to hear a similar rig at some point.

I had the chance to hear several of the Shindo pieces - this was several years ago - at a local dealer. He carried, as I think do most if not all US dealers, the Tone Imports line which includes Leben and LM Audio among others. Bit of a cartel perhaps…He also carried the DeVore line of speakers. Very beautiful gear that Art Dudley, as you note, described so well and seemed to find a match to his aesthetic, particularly the Shindo gear. I found it really good with great tone and presence(Dudlyism) along with a rich sound field that it projected. It seemed at the time expensive and possibly a little delicate in build but that’s likely untrue. For some reason I ended up going with some Fi gear by the late Don Garber and Cain&Cain Super Abby speakers. In retrospect I’d likely have been better off with the Shindo gear. Speaker matching seems to be difficult with lower powered gear like this and Art Dudley, as you know, ultimately went the vintage route.

Speaker matching seems to be difficult with lower powered gear like this and Art Dudley, as you know, ultimately went the vintage route.
Didn't he use DeVore O93 speakers in his setup before he sadly passed away? IIRC he sold the Altec Flamencos for practical reasons (position in the room, etc.).

Didn't he use DeVore O93 speakers in his setup before he sadly passed away? IIRC he sold the Altec Flamencos for practical reasons (position in the room, etc.).

I think he moved, or at least changed room and the Altecs (Valencias I think) didn’t work so well. I’d have loved to hear them. Vintage Altecs are crazy rare here in the UK, the only ones I’ve heard VOTT at some show ages ago, amazingly dynamic and present things, plus Urei monitors (which are based on the 604). I’d like to hear the more domesticated smaller versions like the Valencia etc. There seems to be a huge Venn diagram overlap between these Stereophile reviewers, the Japanese audiophile/jazz bar scene, and where I think I belong. We’re all on the same map.

Tony you would love Shindo amps with matching Latour 16ohm 100db Field Coils
Front end was a Shindo modified 301 SPU £100k + in total

hero12.jpg

Shindo-301.jpg

I think he moved, or at least changed room and the Altecs (Valencias I think) didn’t work so well. I’d have loved to hear them. Vintage Altecs are crazy rare here in the UK, the only ones I’ve heard a VOTT at some show ages ago, amazingly dynamic and present things, plus Urei monitors (which are based on the 604). I’d like to hear the more domesticated smaller versions like the Valencia etc. There seems to be a huge Venn diagram overlap between these Stereophile reviewers, the Japanese audiophile/jazz bar scene, and where I think I belong. We’re all on the same map.
Art’s audio journey was interesting. When he started Listner he seemed to be kind of an American Naim/Linn guy who was strongly in opposition to the Absolute Sound and it’s editor HP’s views that he argued privileged a language of non musical sonic ephemera over all else. Early on at Listner,as you probably know, he started down a tube/valve path with single ended gear. I think he had Lamm amplifier early on at Stereophile and was using the Audio Note E’s for quite some time.
He seemed to have the DeVore speakers on loan for a long time. I’m not sure if they were ever his main speakers. The Altecs sure did seem to win his heart along with the idler drive tables and of course the Shindo amps and Preamps. I think his voice was unique and irreplaceable.

Art’s audio journey was interesting.

Yes, Art’s trajectory was fascinating, and one I can relate to as I certainly deep-dived the Vereker-era stuff before ending up in a fairly similar place. It’s clear from Ken’s video upthread and much that Art, Sam Tellig etc wrote that they hear exactly what I do in the vintage idlers, valves, high-efficiency speakers etc. The Japanese scene too. We’re all barking up the same tree. I’m a fan of flat TD-124 platters though.

advertisement

Back