advertisement

Really Big Bananas

Why does Amazon allow the sale of fakes? I assume people are buying those thinking they're real.

What makes you think they are fake? Nakamichi is no more in any real sense, it is now a brandname owned in China like so many other once great audio companies (Wikipedia). The plugs are almost certainly perfectly legitimate/legal from a trademark and brandname perspective.

What makes you think they are fake? Nakamichi is no more in any real sense, it is now a brandname owned in China like so many other once great audio companies (Wikipedia). The plugs are almost certainly perfectly legitimate/legal from a trademark and brandname perspective.

Fair point. I bought 8 of the plugs about a month ago so I was a little taken aback when Elephantears said they were fake. They seem fine to me. I went for them because of the double screw.

Fair point. I bought 8 of the plugs about a month ago so I was a little taken aback when Elephantears said they were fake. They seem fine to me. I went for them because of the double screw.

Oh heck, now I regret my aspersions. 'Fake' was probably the wrong word, especially as they are totally indistinguishable from the 'real' ones I also own (if indeed they are not fakes masquerading as real).

I had problems terminating my 16mm csa speaker cable to banana plugs so I replaced the banana sockets on my amp with 50amp Anderson connectors and spades on the speaker end.

Pete

I had problems terminating my 16mm csa speaker cable to banana plugs so I replaced the banana sockets on my amp with 50amp Anderson connectors and spades on the speaker end.

Pete

Next time have a look at Amphenol Radsok connectors, if you need a solid plug in connection for some serious power they a pretty damn awesome.

IIRC the Michell Engineering bananas are pretty big.

What I was previously using was an exact equivalent of those, so I was putting both wires in through the side and then tightening from below. I didn't feel I was getting a really secure connection and I felt I could hear it. Switching to the Nakamichi Spades tightening things up, physically and sonically, so I might just be over-fussy wanting something more. My reason is that the section that connects to the amp isn't gold-plated the material looks cheap,

I really should have included Spades in the thread title, but it would have been less eye catching. We all like a big banana, after all.

equivalent of those, so I was putting both wires in through the side and then tightening from below. I didn't feel I was getting a really secure connection

When I used original Michells (rhodiums, not gold) they gave a very tight connection. But you need clear access to the backside of the amp for tightening, which became inconvenient when I moved to a large amp stuck in a heavy rack instead of an Alecto sitting on the floor.

advertisement

Back