advertisement

Class D amp whether you like it or not?

Maybe tech will come along that dismantles a PCB and it’s components chemically(for example). Given their ubiquity this will have huge commercial drivers. Then the replacement isn’t environmentally toxic as it is now? Repair is very satisfying but it may be replaced by….. well… replacement?

Rather than ditch Class A, (which for me is the most fun you can have with your clothes on) I would install solar panels.

(Hydrogen-powered cars now appear far more environmentally friendly overall than battery-powered; my once 'friendly' log-burner is now anathema. Next year (or next week) who knows?)

Last edited:
Plenty of studies about the emissions through the life cycle of a car. In summary the running cost to the environment far exceed the manufacturing costs.

I wonder what the balance would be for class a amps. My guess is that the difference is less extreme but still running cost will be more damaging but who knows?

Not trying to ruin the fun, everyone deserves a hobby etc it’s just saying there are other appliances that are worse is too lazy. When there’s demand for something then it will be built. And there are plenty of class a amps still being built.

Anyway , have a good weekend , I’m off to drive around in my V8 (I wish) :)

Rather than ditch Class A, (which for me is the most fun you can have with your clothes on) I would install solar panels.

(Hydrogen-powered cars now appear far more environmentally friendly overall than battery-powered; my once 'friendly' log-burner is now anathema. Next year (or next week) who knows?
Families might have to start huddling round class A amps in winter when heat exchanger pumps are forced on us...

There will soon be a limit on how much electricity a household can consume per day. You will have to decide whether to keep your refrigerator running or listen to your Class A amplifier.
How soon? There are a few more class A amps I'd like to try.:p

This new Technics amp looks like an interesting chunk of modern technology. I’m not a fan from a Right To Repair perspective as it will be full of bespoke computer technology and intellectual property etc, but it looks pretty radical conceptually (e.g. a digital phono stage that dials out crosstalk) and I get the impression Ken Micallef (Stereophile) loves it.

It looks a neat thing but the comparison of an unregulated linear supply and a smps is junk. If you've got mains frequency multiples at -40db someone's done a shit job.

This new Technics amp looks like an interesting chunk of modern technology. I’m not a fan from a Right To Repair perspective as it will be full of bespoke computer technology and intellectual property etc, but it looks pretty radical conceptually (e.g. a digital phono stage that dials out crosstalk) and I get the impression Ken Micallef (Stereophile) loves it.

I'll have a read of that. I'm not really a fan of digital processing which seeks to clean-up vinyl, other than say a prized rare album with a nasty scratch.

I’ve personally no interest in any digital processing at all in the analogue replay chain! Digital is just for the CDs!

Technically a class H power supply.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_amplifier_classes

https://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-media-systems-ahb2-power-amplifier

Having had Hypex N-Cores the sound is totally different.
See the.

Benchmark-AHB2-Amplifier-1-k-Hz-Broadband-FFT-Spectrum-Audio-Measurements.png

Noise spikes from the psu, though most will say Pah. post 100 KHz.
Even a bat cannot hear that.

I can hear a difference of improvement over my previous N-Core mono's and Neurochrome mono's
albeit slight.
Whether that be from the power supply, or output stage I have no idea.

I have heard a Gryphon class A amp in a system for comparison, and as I don't have the £ 48 K needed for that, the £ 2 K I paid for the Benchmark is remarkably close in sound. (without the need for a forklift truck to carry it)

And uses - no electricity, somehow, as it barely gets warm.

If Si is travelling oop north I will send up for you to listen to.

Benchmark-AHB2-inside-2.jpg

Very little can be fixed inside though.

The PSU is switch mode hence "class D"... further layers can be added to that of switchable voltage rails though but mainly to avoid heat in the amplifier itself.

I'm afraid I have little interest in all that uber measurement malarkey and NEVER read ASR.

Whilst I thank you for your offer I'm not bothered with hearing it, sorry.

I totally agree that it is in effect not repairable though!

I was just reading another propaganda on electric cars. Typical consumption to charge 7kW x 8h, usage about 17kW/100km. As you see a measurement unit like 'watt' does not exist in this context.
Now try to me convince that A class apmlifier is bad for environment, linear power supply bad. Do not look around to others somewhere far away, look at yourself what will be you next car and how much you will use it and how much you using your amplifier.
It is quite strange to see discussion about should standby has to be 0.5w or 1.5w, or amp class type usage and at the same time have this massive brainwashing towards electric cars. Of course, it would be fine if most of electricity we could get from sun, wind and water, but I cannot see how it will catch up with this speed at which politicians pushing electric cars into market.

That is a bit harsh. Most TVs, for example, switch off into stand-by. Do you power off at the wall plug?
Ok, maybe little. I do not have anything without power switch, but yes, father use extension block with individual switched sockets. He is doing it more to save money, not world.
Actually it is bit strange that politicians put a limit in stanby consumption and at the same time do not care a proper off switch. I like they thinking when they speak about consumption, they asume that everything is on all the time. Actually all power hungry devices which I can think of, comes with proper off switch. They keeping to forget it when they making decisions. I really hope we will not see anymore things like 100w light bulb ban.

I was just reading an article from 2015: https://linearaudio.net/article-detail/2224

J Vanderkooy writes "We think that switching amps without any analogue feedback from the output stage are just asking for trouble. With feedback applied they can be tolerable..."

Doesn't sound too encouraging from a well regarded AES member.

advertisement

Back