advertisement

What are you listening to right now #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was

3caea9746ee5de3972d94871abc5886ddb8ffd84.jpeg

Now

b35a98ff185278e57674c3ee6190c0ffec1db786.jpeg

I used to think Tin Drum was better than this album. I played my first vinyl of that to destruction on an old Bang & Olufsen system which I should have actually kept; the amp at least. Now I prefer Gentlemen Take Polaroids. I bought this copy in 1987 and it only has the slightest of sound blemishes. I also have the CD reissue with extra tracks. Whatever happened to 'art music' as a mainstream 'pop' thing? And waltz songs like Nightporter. Best song on this though is My New Career.

R-1813077-1377342799-7110.jpeg.jpg

Whatever happened to 'art music' as a mainstream 'pop' thing?

St Vincent, Lana Del Rey, Frank Ocean, FKA twigs, Grimes, Bat For Lashes, Julia Holter, Roísín Murphy, Björk, Beck, Billie Eilish, Lorde, Solange, Gorillaz, Caroline Polachek......

St Vincent, Lana Del Rey, Frank Ocean, FKA twigs, Grimes, Bat For Lashes, Julia Holter, Roísín Murphy, Björk, Beck, Billie Eilish, Lorde, Solange, Gorillaz, Caroline Polachek......
Björk perhaps, the rest maybe not. Tastes will differ, but the actual construction of the music is very different. The likes of Gorrilaz or Bat For Lashes are not that musically complex and frankly tend to look more so by being contrasted with and surrounded by a greater amount of garbage.

I do like Gorillaz though.

Björk perhaps, the rest maybe not. Tastes will differ, but the actual construction of the music is very different. The likes of Gorrilaz or Bat For Lashes are not that musically complex and frankly tend to look more so by being contrasted with and surrounded by a greater amount of garbage.

I do like Gorillaz though.

Just as straight up pop music has changed, art pop that was (Bowie, Japan, Talking Heads, etc) is no more, and now includes a different kind of artist altogether, such as those on my quick list.

If this isn’t art pop, I don’t know what is...

A seven minute performance of a four minute song, so keep watching.

I liked the one directly above. The one above it less so. Just taste I guess. Musically it's not that sophisticated, perhaps it doesn't have to be. Image might well be part of art music, but eccentrically rolling on the floor after neatly and carefully removing your guitar is perhaps less 'art' than Pete Townsend smashing up his guitar.

I appreciate your effort to introduce me to things you know. Some I'll like, some I won't.

I liked the one directly above. The one above it less so. Just taste I guess. Musically it's not that sophisticated, perhaps it doesn't have to be. Image might well be part of art music, but eccentrically rolling on the floor after neatly and carefully removing your guitar is perhaps less 'art' than Pete Townsend smashing up his guitar.

I appreciate your effort to introduce me to things you know. Some I'll like, some I won't.

Cool. The St Vincent has to be intentionally pretentious... it’s absurd! Not unusually, Annie plays a mean guitar for a couple of minutes before the daft stairs thing though.

Thanks for prompting me to play all of that twigs album again. A singular talent, helped by some top notch production, from mostly herself and Nicolas Jaar, plus Dan Lopatin, Arca, Jack Antonoff, and more; so perhaps unsurprisingly, it sounds incredible. Always makes the effort when performing...

Kelly Moran looking the part on piano there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back