advertisement

How does the ancient Nordost SPM interconnect compare to the current range?

I've sat through 3 notdost demos, never heard a difference apart from that time he got caught fiddling with volume.

The point of the mismatched price, though, was that the cables could be shown to do what they do, without having to be attached to high end kit.
I got that but it was a terrible demo. I get RCA cables and speaker cables can bring changes but 1m power cable to 5m power cable?? Maybe somebody can hear a difference but I haven't.

Likely to be counterfeit.
On defo yes the only thing on some of the stuff it looks very close to the Nordost originals. I was wondering if they got a roll of cable that is original but terminated themselves. The only way to be sure is not one that I can afford to check :) All I was doing was just pointing out that some of this stuff on aliexpress looks really well made. Interconnects and power cables I have seen recently look really well put together, that's all I am getting at.

I've sat through 3 notdost demos, never heard a difference apart from that time he got caught fiddling with volume.

Yes I was afraid to mention the volume bit but that was what I felt was obvious at one of the demo's I was at. No improvement just louder. Mind you I was keeping quiet in my local high tec Hifi shop. Don't want to get banned :D

I sat through a dem at Munich 2019 and there was no volume manipulation.

I've also had several dems at dealer events implemented by the French importers in which the volume was not manipulated.

I attended some of their dems and manipulation seem to be their dresscode.

For me, they are marketing sellers of the worst kind, deep down they could sell chairs, refrigerators or cars, anything really.
Its not about the products, but the method to fill their pockets

Such salespersons are good at psychologically preparing their audience to hear differences that don’t really exist. A classic manipulation process that is unfortunately very common in the hi-fi accessory trade.
Those crooks sell cables (obviously) but also little magic stones, stickers, spikes, boxes full of air…

Every Nordost dem I’ve sat through has used an amp with a digital display of volume level. Any differences would have been obvious.

I own and will possibly buy more Nordost products but with the exception of some silly power cable purchases during the Celtic tiger I would either buy after demoing at home or purchase secondhand. I would be inclined to agree with the posters above Steve there demo's are hard sell aimed generally at a demographic with a lot of disposable income.

You might check out Mark Waldrep of AIX records.
Keith

You had me interested Keith until the third or fourth paragraph when he mentioned Ethan Winer. I can never understand how guys like Archimago and Winer didn't get involved in Brexit, Afghanistan, Ethiopian or Syrian refugee crisis. They come across to me as the Nigel Farage' of hifi. All this focus on exposing the injustices in Hifi and protecting predominantly rich white males from blowing their cash on Nordost Q-kones or Qbase widgets.

I've just compared old to new in the Nordost power cable range using a Moon Ace all-on-one and Apertura Sensa speakers (nice balanced set up) :)

Old - Shiva
New - Heimdall 2

Both models three down from the Valhalla of their day.
The 2nd hand Shiva cost me 239€; the new Heimdall 2 is listed at 830€ (and seems to shift at around 500€ 2nd hand).

The Shiva was a clear improvement over the generic "kettle lead".
The current Heimdall 2 was better than the old Shiva but not to the same degree as the difference between bog standard lead and the Shiva.
I particularly noticed improvements on both changes in the areas of bass definition, bass depth and imaging. The Heimdall was also a little more defined in the mid and treble.

My personal conclusion of this most unscientific test - if you can afford either get the Heimdall 2 but my money was not wasted on the Shiva (which I bought for the NAS).

advertisement

Back