advertisement

Quad ESL 57s

Hi Mark,

When I had my ELS57's I first used the Leak Stereo 20, cannot remember what pre amp and my LP12, it was amazing.

I then progressed, or was it, to a Naim 12/160 that was more detailed but did not give the same feeling of something happening in front of you, as Jez says, done right they can sound stunning with valves.

I bought the latest Quad II Classics with the QC24 pre amp a couple of years ago in the hope I would get a pair of ELS63's, which I did get confirmed they were there and all reburbished, however although they were there for my taking I never went through with it so I never use my Quad valves much these days.

I would suggest for the feeling of something going on in front of you a valve set up, for accurate and dynamics go solid state, Naim 12/160 would be my choice or a 250 with the wick turned down.

All the best in your quest.

Cheers

John

Valves can do "accurate and dynamic" as well!!

Indeed they can.
In my experience ESL57’s need more power than 15 W. But mine are OTA restored and they told me that they go louder than originals.

Indeed they can.
In my experience ESL57’s need more power than 15 W. But mine are OTA restored and they told me that they go louder than originals.

I found a St20 with 10-11WPC did the job really. This highly modded one was really special though and in a different league to a standard one. Bass was positively "Krell like" in solidity and slam etc.

If you want to listen to AC/DC at live levels or have the zero taste required to like EDM then Quad ESL's are pretty useless anyway!

Only classical and acoustic jazz here.
For the rest I have other speakers! (But AC/DC, no, never. This is not music to my ears).
That said, my own custom designed 20 W valve amp does the job rather well too.

Hi Mark,

In the mid 70’s I had a 33 / 303 for 4 years when I was persuaded by a dealer to buy a Meridian 101 / 103D. I was told at the time that the Meridian had been modified to work with Quad 57’s.
Big mistake the amp damaged the treble panels and a visit to Huntingdon to Quads factory and Meridian’s had the panels repaired. At the same time visited the Meridian factory where I was told that the amp was standard and had never been modified to work with ELS 57’s. After much deliberation with the dealer 6 months later I was able to get them to take the amps back.

Regards,

Martin

They look like capacitors to the power amp at high frequencies (ye olde ESL driving test was and is to drive a load of 8R and 2uF in parallel) and some amps will go unstable with that load.

Out of interest, other than trying it, how would one know if an amp were suitable for ESLs? I have no idea how my amp might or might not cope.

Mine worked well with my Naim NAP 160.
I have a 160 CB sat around doing nothing. I should try it with the 57s.

I'm using a DIY Threshold Stasis amp atm, about 40W A class per channel and it is lovely. Only 35V rails so shouldn't flash the panels over.

I used a very different amp when I had my OTA ESLs, but I’m curious about trying 63s. Amp is Luxman L590AX-II

I have really good results with my 15wpc Quad tube (EL84) amp. Quads, as a rule, really like tubes.

Also, Parasound amps are really good on Quads (the owner of that company is a big fan, owns six pair).

The Benchmark AHB2 is great on Quads.

The best I've ever heard them (and in some ways the best sound I've ever heard... period.) was a very fit pair of ESL57's driven by a VERY modified Leak Stereo 20 I'd built for the owner and which had separate regulated supplies for every stage (including the output stage) and a complete set of mil spec Mullards. The ECC83's were M8137's, CV numbered EL84's with gold plated pins IIRC and solid state rectification I'd fitted to get the extra voltage overhead for the regulators. With your eyes shut the sensation that the musicians really were in front of you was spooky:)

could you replicate that build Jez?

Anyone compared ESLs to Martin Logans?
Not side by side but I have had a pair of 57s and three pairs of Martin Logans. My feeling is that Martin Logans get closer to the 57 than the later 63 in terms of making the music come to life. They also share the very narrow sweet spot for listening and are probably best for a single listener. The later Quad ‘05 and ‘12 get closer to the 57 magic and best the lower priced Logans. All great speakers of course and one mans aliveness is another mans in yer face.

could you replicate that build Jez?

You know what I've often wondered about that! It would have been around 22 years ago and the mate I did it for is unfortunately no longer with us... His son apparently got his Hi Fi but I have have had no further contact with the family since so getting my hands on it to be able to precisely replicate is not an option.

I can remember pretty much everything I did to it.... and no doubt may be able to come up with further improvements.... but the biggest unknown is which output transformer it used. There were 2 different ones used by Leak and I made no note as to which was fitted to this wonder amplifier. Whether or not it would make a huge difference I couldn't say. I also heard it with 3 types of Spendors as well as the ESL's and it sounded just as amazing with these, within the known capabilities of each speaker of course. It in fact sounded so bloody amazing that any attempt to fully describe the sound would probably be regarded as hype and exaggeration.... all I can say on that is that everyone who heard it was as blown away by it as myself and the lucky owner. It replaced an Exposure IV Dual Regulated in my mates system and it utterly thrashed the Exposure.... even in the areas that you would expect a big SS amp to win on such as bass, slam and PRaT etc (within a 10WPC envelope of course!)

I have designed, built and bench tested a regulator intended to do the biggest job of powering the output stage and to improve on the one I made for the first build but I have never as yet tried it out in my St20... I got it to the point where I was completely confident, from all the bench testing etc, that it was just a case of fitting it and away I go.... and it's been on a shelf for at least 5 years now!

It would be very expensive to replicate that's for sure.... 22 years ago and mates rates IIRC I charged £250 so prob £1000 ish today.

Anyone compared ESLs to Martin Logans?

I own both, what do you want to know? It's a really different experience.

If you're going to get Quads you really have to want them. They require a fair amount of attention. The ML's are much easier to plug and play..

True, ‘57’s require some dedication. But once adopted, or once they have adopted you perhaps, they are exquisite.
But jacks of all trades they are not.
You can’t get anywhere near realistic levels.
That’s the reason why I have also high-efficiency speakers.
The Quads are difficult speakers. But what they can do, no others really can.

True, ‘57’s require some dedication. But once adopted, or once they have adopted you perhaps, they are exquisite.
I heard realistic levels when I spent an evening with stacked’57s recently. More than enough volume to really fill a reasonable sized room (see other post for pics).

Right now I'm listening to my 57s, rebuilt by ES Solutions in the US, along with Janis W1 subs, and they are capable of shaking the house, playing in a big open plan room / I can't go anywhere near max vol levels!!

advertisement

Back