advertisement

Genesis

I remember climbing up on Solsbury hill. No Eagles. Surmised that Gabriel found better cylocybes or somesuch:)
I never did get Genesis and nor much of PG's later work, tho I have the first 3 albums, they never do get played much.
Fans will be glad of the tour however although no collins drumming is just odd.

Phil Collins drumming was always odd, I've heard more emotion from a drum machine!

Plenty of those on the records, of course. As well as his big gated reverb drum sound, his Roland CR-78 on a slowed-down disco preset here...

(Crockett and Tubbs ftw)

As well as his big gated reverb drum sound

Except it wasn't his! The sound was born when Hugh Padgham opened a compression enhanced 'listen mic' to talk to Collins who was drumming in the studio for Peter Gabriel's third solo album. Gabriel and Padgham were bowled over by the sound of the drums through the the compression on the mic so set about recreating it in the desk (as the listen mic was for monitoring only and did not have an input directly into the desk). Using onboard compressors and noise gates they honed the sound and the first time you hear it commercially is on the first track of Gabriels' third album, Intruder. Collins then used it... well seemingly for ever more whereas Gabriel had already moved on by 1984's fourth solo album.

Excellent, thanks... and thanks for making me feel slightly less nerdy (!) I’d read somewhere that it goes back to ‘Intruder’, but didn’t know the details.

I’ve not heard those first four PG albums since hearing them coming from my brother’s bedroom at the time. Think I’ll have to look them up...

I saw them back in 1980 for the Duke tour. I like the Gabriel stuff but I ran out of steam on the Genesis album from 1983(1984) I loved the live albums and the long compositions. What Genesis managed to do was create great tunes which bands like Yes failed to do. Also they incorporated odd time signatures in a way that it didn’t disrupt the flow of the music and we’re not used just for the sake of it. I did buy invisible touch and I can’t dance when they were on offer but never got into all the songs.Even abacab had a few dodgy numbers. I would say abacab was the last decent album and that is because of two tracks. Me and Sara Jane and Dodo.
All personal options as a musician myself. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing

Except it wasn't his! The sound was born when Hugh Padgham opened a compression enhanced 'listen mic' to talk to Collins who was drumming in the studio for Peter Gabriel's third solo album. Gabriel and Padgham were bowled over by the sound of the drums through the the compression on the mic so set about recreating it in the desk (as the listen mic was for monitoring only and did not have an input directly into the desk).

I recall something about subsequent SSL desks allowing the listen mic to be routed to an input for just this reason.

Any Genesis album after The Lamb is mostly pop piffle, IMO. The last Genesis concert I went to was the Seconds Out tour, which was excellent. If I want to listen live to proper Genesis, I go to see The Musical Box. Steve Hackett also does great versions of the early stuff. Mr Hackett is arguably the most talented musician that was in Genesis. His solo output has mostly been excellent.

I must be exceptional – I like pretty much all configurations of Genesis, and Fleetwood Mac. I must have some sort of rare ability to appreciate the simple AND the complex, to understand that two groups of musicians can have the same band name yet still be entirely different bands, that enjoying music isn't an "either this or that, there's simply nothing in between" scenario.

Or maybe I'm just not British.

Excellent, thanks... and thanks for making me feel slightly less nerdy (!) I’d read somewhere that it goes back to ‘Intruder’, but didn’t know the details.

I’ve not heard those first four PG albums since hearing them coming from my brother’s bedroom at the time. Think I’ll have to look them up...

Peter Gabriel's third and fourth solo albums are his best work IMO, give them a few listens and they really grab you. Some good musicians on them too... e.g. Jerry Marotta, Tony Levin, Kate Bush, Robert Fripp, Larry Fast, David Rhodes, Paul Weller, David Lord and Phil Collins (yes I concede he could drum :D ).

And yes I'm a massive Gabriel nerd :D

Genesis is just a tarted up Hyundai. What? Oh, that Genesis?? Yes to the Gabriel years, with Supper’s Ready being a particularly memorable highlight.

advertisement

Back