advertisement

Your Tone Arm History @ an arm which aesthetically you would love or have

Surprisingly short list for my main system, although I’ve obviously tried dozens and dozens of others!

- SME 3009 Series II Improved Fixed Headshell
- Audio Technica AT-1130
- Alphason HR-100S
- SME 309
- SME Series V

The only arm is like now is a Yamaha YSA-2 for my GT-2000

Short-term, didn't like
- SME 3009 fixed head shell
- Hadcock 282
- The Sony PUA something which came with the TTS3000

Kept for some time and eventually gave away (the friend still uses it regularly)
- Mitchell Technoarm a

Long-term
- 9 inch Ittok (sold on)
- 12 inch Ittok (not been used for several years but still here)
- SME V - the best I've had at home, great on the SME 20

Would love to try long-term (but that will have to wait for a BIG lottery win)
- Dynavector 507 on a DD
- SME V-12 on the appropriate version of the SME 30

Great list of arms.

In Order
Arm that came on Rotel RP830
Mission 774LC
Ittok LVII
Clearaudio/Souther Linear Tracker TQI (I think)
Wheaton Triplaner III
Naim ARO

All now gone except the LVII (Using it tonight on my LP12)

Now have in addition to the Ittok:

Mission 774 (also a second 774 custom mod for Townshend table)
Rega RB300 (Custom mod for Townshend table - Rega Bearings, Townshend arm tube and outrigger)
Rega RB600
Syrinx PU3
Tiger Paw Javelin
Supatrack Blackbird (on its way to me soon).

All are special to me in some way. If I had to keep one only. Don't think I could decide without regrets....

I have cut down from many boxes to an integrated amp and a couple of turntables (LP12 and Townshend Rock). I spend my time swapping arms and carts to satisfy my upgrade itch.

Wish list:
Mission Mechanic
Alphason HR100
Helius Cyclene 2
Kuzma Stogi Ref

Also interested to try:
Zeta
Audiomods
The Wand

IMG_1891.jpg

Except for earlier integrated TTs with non-descript arms, I think I've had a grand total of three arms since 1985.

Rega RB-300 on an AR Turntable (1985-87)
Linn Ittok LV-II on LP12 (1987-2000)
Naim ARO (2000-now)

I don't feel great compulsion to change tonearms. In fact, I'm totally happy with the ARO.

If I remember them all correctly…a lot of swapping and changing in the first years

RB300 (on a Rega)
Basik Plus (on an Axis)
RB300 (on a PT Too)
Ittok (PT Too)
SME IV (PT Too)
Ekos (LP12)
<sold system to support studies>
RB300 (Xerxes)
Graham 1.5T (Xerxes)
Forsell Air Bearing (Forsell)
<sold system to buy house>
RB900 (P9)
Ekos (LP12)
Aro (LP12)
<sold again due to major house refurb>
RB808 (Rega P8)
SME IV (PT Anni)

As you can see, a lot of repeats in there! Some caused by living somewhere (Ireland) where we don’t have a lot of dealer coverage, so effectively buying (esp. s/hand) is a long-term demo. The last three I have had for nearly 15 years so the changes definitely slowed.

Favourites in there: Forsell was absolutely stunning but far too fragile and complex for day-to-day use. Aro is a lovely thing and would happily use one again, especially with a Keel which really allowed it to shine. But the SMEs are still so special, beautifully made and the whole setup/ownership process is still top notch, amazingly since they are now nearly 30-year old designs. The Graham is also very special, but I had it quite briefly and probably didn’t fully appreciate it at the time.

As to what I’d like to try, I would love to hear a Moerch or one of the Funk options

Since 1975 a total of 9 arms - the Mission has been on turntables for the last 15+ years and feel no need to change it
Michell Fluid
Hadcock 228
Rega RB300
SME 3009 S2
Linn Basik+
Roksan Tabriz
Roksan Nima
Audiomods original
Mission 774 original

Arm I would like to try?
Michell Focus

RB300
SME 3009 (fix h/s)
Mission 774
Audio Note Arm 3 (old)
Michell Tecnoarm A
Jelco 750
Jelco 750EB (10.5”)

Those are the ones I recall, there were at least a few more. I am happy with the Jelco and have no intention of changing, the PTP deck I have is set up for the longer jelco arm so replacement is awkward.

RB300
SME 3009 (fix h/s)
Mission 774
Audio Note Arm 3 (old)
Michell Tecnoarm A
Jelco 750
Jelco 750EB (10.5”)

Those are the ones I recall, there were at least a few more. I am happy with the Jelco and have no intention of changing, the PTP deck I have is set up for the longer jelco arm so replacement is awkward.
Main system:
Akito (on an Axis)
Akito (on an LP12, followed by)
Ekos Mk1
Ekos Mk2
Ekos SE

Second system (PT Anni)
Funk FXR

Wants (for MRM Source currently being refurbished)
Syrinx PU2 or PU3
Audio Origami PU7
Original Zeta with gold arm tube to match

Would like play with
Audio Origami Uniarm
Moerch (on an Opus 3 Continuo)

Lottery win
Bergmann turntable with air bearing parallel tracker

Cheers

Iain.

Logic Datum
Linn basik plus
Linn Ittok
Linn Ekos
SME 310
Roksan Nima
Technics 1210 arm
SME 309
SME series V (current)
Arm I lust for , Ikeda 345 but I think it's too heavy for my Voyd and too much cash. But it's beautiful.

Arms I'm considering as alternative to my V .
Audionote arm 2 or 3 or possibly a FR 64s though might again be too heavy.

They are. I have one here earmarked for use with my Thorens if I ever get around to finishing the 12" armwand for it.

Are you tempted to add an Odyssey RP1-XG to that wants list, given its very close association with the Source turntable?
Yes, absolutely. The Odyssey's designer John Gordon is a top guy and has helped me enormously getting mine (now x2) up and running. I never remember about his tonearm though given I don't think I've ever seen one for sale... not sure how many were ever made.

My other post-lottery project would be to try and acquire a complete set of Scottish made turntables... or maybe more realistically one from each manufacturer. I used to have a Systemdek IIXE in my second system but sold it almost immediately when the Pink became available. So I'd need a Systemdek of some description (preferably a IV I think), an Ariston (RD11 would be obvious but one (RD90/Superieur?) with a lion rampant top plate would be nice), a Strathclyde, a Fons...

R200 on wood trim Rega Planar 2
Basik Plus on LP12
Ittok LVII (Black :)) on same LP12 - Gobsmacked at the time with how much more bass Ittok allowed through compared to Basik Plus.
I love the look of the black Ittok, particularly on my black LP12.

Various japanese arms that came with a succession of TT's in the 70's, then Regas running up the table ladder, then the same with Linns: Ittocks, Ekos. Ended up with a Mechanic on the LP12 but still fancy having a go with an Aro someday as I think that's a great looking arm.

80's to date: NA's uni's, NA parallel tracker, then a Souther, (both too much faff). Keith Monks, various Hadcocks (kept one), Moerch UP4, (should've kept that), Moerch Silver Shadow DP6, 12"and 9" armwands, Breuer Type 5, Breuer Type 8B, Air Tangent 1B, (best PT I've had), FXX 10" uni, Sumiko MDC 800 (x2), SME V, SME 3009 II and 3012, Odyssey RP1-XG, 12" fixed and detachable and 9" arm wands, Audiocraft AC4400, AC3300, several arm wands for those, Reson Regas, Reson Yota, Yorke S7's x 2, Viv Labs 7" recently a couple of great VFM handmade's from Jurijs in Latvia, (including the Volpar (?) copy at 22" long, for a bit of fun)

I'd like to try a Kuzma 4P and the parallel tracker, and Thales Simplicity. Missed out on Schroeders over the years but also like the look of those.

The Supatrac looks interesting and also the Sorane ZA-12.

AT1005 Mk2 (50 years ago! wish Id kept it)
SEM 3009 "Improved" (anti climax after long anticipation)
Hadcock GH228
Mission 774 (disappointing and messy with that silicone damping fluid!)
Grace G707 (came with that t/t & cartridge)
Ittock (bought when they first came out and still used today - can't see me changing it)

More recently in a second system:-
Linn LVX
RB300

Rega RB300
Rega RB808
Rega RB880
Rega RB2000
Rega RB3000
Moerch UP4
Moerch UP6
SME IV
Ittok
Ekos I
Ekos II
Ekos SE
Micro Seiki MA 505 II
AMG
Kuzma Stogi Ref (9 inch and 12 inch)
Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA
Kuzma 4 Point 9
Kuzma 4 Point 11
Alphason HR100 MCS
Audio Origami PU7 (twice)

I currently have a Rega RB880 on my P8, an AO PU7 on my PTP turntable, and an RB2000 as a back up. The PU7 is probably the best arm I have owned.

Having been disappointed by the Kuzma 4 Point, I’m not that interested in trying other “high end” arms, but still curious about the Triplanar.

Whatever arm was on the Philips GA-222
Rega RB-300 (tungsten counterweight)
Ittok LVII (during the years
Ekos Mk.II with Mrs. Bouncy Bounce (aka LP12))
Schröder DPS
Durand Talea (Mk.I version)
Triplanar Mk. VII/ui (recently back from an upgrade/tune-up at the manufacturer, and my current arm for the past 10 years or so).

Would be curious to hear:
Thales Simplicity II
Durand Tosca

advertisement

Back