advertisement

Dell Monitors?

ErikL

pfm Member
24 inch or 27 inch...

Yay or nay? If yay, which model(s) do you recommend (in the US)?

Mostly, I surf the interweb, news, YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime series'/films and Twitter. My eyes are below average.

Thanks!

27" is good to have, just make sure it's not a cheapo 1080p one. 4K may be overkill, 2560 x 1440 seems sufficient to me.

Yeah 2k dells are good, my wife has one. I have never had an issue with dell monitors.

27 inch 2k monitors seem to be a sweet spot for size and definition, handy if your eyesight isn’t the best.

I have Dell monitors at work and they’ll be fine for the uses you intend, but if you have a choice then do look at other manufacturers too like Asus, Acer, LG, Samsung etc. They all have plenty of options below the high speed gaming mega monitors.

I've had a Dell UP2716D for about 5 years. It is on every day for quite a few hours and still as good as the day I bought it. Superb monitor and as mentioned before, the sweet spot for size/resolution. 27" / 2560x1440 is crystal clear even when quite close. IMO, 1080 at 27" is not enough when sitting at a desk with one.

I've had a Dell UP2716D for about 5 years. It is on every day for quite a few hours and still as good as the day I bought it. Superb monitor and as mentioned before, the sweet spot for size/resolution. 27" / 2560x1440 is crystal clear even when quite close. IMO, 1080 at 27" is not enough when sitting at a desk with one.

It's the current prices 1440p around £440 - that's a joke. I use a Pixio PX7 prime gaming monitor. The current model can be had for about £300

It's the current prices 1440p around £440 - that's a joke. I use a Pixio PX7 prime gaming monitor. The current model can be had for about £300

I paid something like that 5 years ago and it was worth every penny. For fine photo-editing something like this is a dream. Absolutely no comparison to the cheapo BenQs we use at work (which however are fine for emails etc.). I was just pointing out that Dell monitors are very good. The OP didn't specify any price range anyway.

I paid something like that 5 years ago and it was worth every penny. For fine photo-editing something like this is a dream. Absolutely no comparison to the cheapo BenQs we use at work (which however are fine for emails etc.). I was just pointing out that Dell monitors are very good. The OP didn't specify any price range anyway.

That's a fair point but not for the requirements asked for here

My son and I both use Dell 2715H 2560x1440 monitors. He has a couple side by side as he does CAD work. I have found the need to upgrade now to a 32 inch Samsung U32J59 3840x2160 and have that and the older Dell in front of me now. For me it turns out not to be about the resolution as I actually have the windows settings on the Samsung so the icons are of a larger size than the Dell. It is the larger screen that I prefer as I can comfortably view it at the slightly lower resolution than the Dell but from an important 6 inches further back. I don't have a significant eyesight problem, just use 1.5-2.0 reading glasses, but the larger Samsung of effectively slightly lower resolution removes the urge to keep putting the glasses on as I am further away. The Samsung is currently available at £299 at Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BVXGBHT/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21. There is a curved version as well.

I am finding that I prefer screen real estate to resolution on mobile devices as well nowadays. Maybe you will find the same if you too are or become mildly short sighted.

John

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Dells are fine monitors. Nothing wrong with a 1080p at 24 or 27 inch. 1440p at full resolution will give you quite small text. You pay extra for the functionality of the stand and usb ports etc. Nothing in the computer world is cheap currently.

This is the base model at 27 inch I think

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-E2720HS...rds=dell+27+inch+1040p&qid=1631258831&sr=8-10
I agree. I have an ASUS 28" quad FHD screen and use it for normal daily work in FHD mode (1920*1080) as at the highest definition everything is too tiny for my eyes. Games and photo editing thats where the higher resolution pays off but why pay extra if you don't actually need this?

Cheers,

DV

Dell monitors are not the prettiest of things but do what they say on the tin and, IME, are pretty bombproof. I have been using a U3818DW and U2719D for work for the last couple of years.

Very happy with the Asus VG278 we got recently: 27" 2K. Fast refresh, low flicker, enough connection options for me for a little more than half your budget. More than enough real estate for our purposes.

advertisement

Back