advertisement

Quad ESL 57s

Gaius

pfm Member
Looking to revisit these.

I would like recommendations for a suitable amp to drive them.

TIA.

The best I've ever heard them (and in some ways the best sound I've ever heard... period.) was a very fit pair of ESL57's driven by a VERY modified Leak Stereo 20 I'd built for the owner and which had separate regulated supplies for every stage (including the output stage) and a complete set of mil spec Mullards. The ECC83's were M8137's, CV numbered EL84's with gold plated pins IIRC and solid state rectification I'd fitted to get the extra voltage overhead for the regulators. With your eyes shut the sensation that the musicians really were in front of you was spooky:)

I can second the suggestion of a nice Leak Stereo 20. I could easily have lived with the one I had in the house last year.

My Exposure 15 worked great though I’d expect my Sonos Amps to work just as well.

Last edited:
I've had good to excellent results with the Quad 306, Hawk A18 (a Dutch class A MOSFET kit without loop feedback), and even the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170.

When I was shopping for an amplifier for my ESLs at around 1996 or so I got bad results with Cyrus III and Copland CSA-14.

See my ‘stacked’ thread. There’s something compelling about ‘57s, and it needn’t require fancy amps. In balance, my Lux/Arden system is better in many ways, but even it can’t quite bring that ‘stat magic….

In my experience, a Quad 303 works fabulously well with 57s (it was designed for that job, to be fair) to a “why pay more?”, bang for buck level. A Quad II Classic Integrated does even better.

Hi Mark,

When I had my ELS57's I first used the Leak Stereo 20, cannot remember what pre amp and my LP12, it was amazing.

I then progressed, or was it, to a Naim 12/160 that was more detailed but did not give the same feeling of something happening in front of you, as Jez says, done right they can sound stunning with valves.

I bought the latest Quad II Classics with the QC24 pre amp a couple of years ago in the hope I would get a pair of ELS63's, which I did get confirmed they were there and all reburbished, however although they were there for my taking I never went through with it so I never use my Quad valves much these days.

I would suggest for the feeling of something going on in front of you a valve set up, for accurate and dynamics go solid state, Naim 12/160 would be my choice or a 250 with the wick turned down.

All the best in your quest.

Cheers

John

I use 303, 306, EL34 PP (16 Ω tap) and the best of all by far, very far, the Technics SE-A3 — a 200 watter monster amp. This gives a very spacious 3D stereo image and plenty of dynamics.
This may seem odd but you need a muscle amp to drive them, knowing that you mustn’t overpower them of course. I use the amp’s VU meters to keep safe.

I used a Dada Quad 303 and a stock Quad 520 with my OTA sorted pair and they sounded identical and fabulous with both, usual stereo 57 constraints (plenty of space needed, weird listening spot anomalies, loud busy rock music can be a bit thin) notwithstanding.

Depending on how much you want to spend, I suspect that a well sorted 303 or Stereo 20 would be good places to start if you're buying something for the job.

I recall their impedance varies wildly across frequencies, so they can be a more demanding load than they first appear, although I suspect this is academic within the context of the power amps being discussed here.

Should never have sold mine - and just got it serviced instead. I bought it new so it was mint with box and Exposure cables. Oh well.
It was much better than the Naim Nait or 42.5, Snaps, 140 I was using before that.

advertisement

Back