advertisement

SBLs

Option A
Things which serve no practical purpose and may be difficult to remove.

Option B
Things which conceal some unfortunate damage which if revealed would make the item unsaleable.

As it happens I'm after a Naim bass driver or two but they certainly aren't going to be my donor units!

I reckon those are development units that someone has been pointing a laser vibrometer at, hence the reflecting tape. Maybe a student at Southampton University

I'm the 'lucky' buyer of these.... Will confirm if they've been suitably balanced when they arrive.

It was only after purchasing that I realised there's no crossovers included! Will have to give that some thought if they are otherwise salvageable

Prices of the XO are all over the place, which is odd since there ought to be quite a lot of spares out there from IBL's, early Intros, Credos and SBL's which are beyond economic repair after bass driver blowouts. It's the same PXO apart from the lead lengths.

Just click the ebay ink - weird SBL advert pics!
My first thoughts were defect indicator markers for would be buyers.

I'm the 'lucky' buyer of these.... Will confirm if they've been suitably balanced when they arrive.

It was only after purchasing that I realised there's no crossovers included! Will have to give that some thought if they are otherwise salvageable
If everything else is ok when they arrive I can help you with the crossovers. PM is good.

Thanks Brian,

I'll take some close ups of the stickers working their magic before attempting any removal!

I don't want to get ahead of myself but this could be one of the very rare occasions when I've picked something up for a decent price! From an initial inspection the main drive units appear to be fine from a mechanical point of view, no rubbing or anything. The cabinets themselves are covered in some fairly 'unusual' stickers and writing but it all seems to be coming off without much bother at all. The first issue i've come across is removing the tweeters... i've removed the screws partially and attempted to pull the units out by the screws but they seem to be stuck fast.

Perhaps naim used a similar construction to Linn at the time and used silicon everywhere

ISTR that there's a cunning technique for removing tweeters from Isobariks without stress, which would probably be useful for SBLs

Congrats on the good score!

I seem to remember the bass units were sealed to the middle boxes with a very stiff & sticky blue non setting jointing compound (Hylomar?) and only responded to sustained pressure to remove them. With the plastic tweeter housings you'd need to be careful not to crack them if you try to prise them free assuming a similar sealant was used.

Do you need to remove them?

The tweeters will be stuck in with Hylomar blue. It should release with a bit of a tug. The way to encourage it is to screw in an oversize screw into the tweeter bezel which gives something to pull on. If needed you can use a claw hammer but protect the baffle with a piece of wood when you lever.

I'm not familiar with naim serial numbers but these are 1010. They're also very dirty!

Thanks for the info above gents. The reason for tweeter removal is to check they are measuring ok. Black ash isn't my favourite either, so in the long run I will attempt to sand back and re-do this at some point, so will need the driver's out anyway

Last edited:
https://ibb.co/0hHmkj0

I'm not familiar with naim serial numbers but these are 1010. They're also very dirty!

Thanks for the info above gents. The reason for tweeter removal is to check they are measuring ok. Black ash isn't my favourite either, so in the long run I will attempt to sand back and re-do this at some point, so will need the driver's out anyway
You sure about that number?
1010 means made in 1982.
Very early Mk 1!

advertisement

Back