advertisement

MQA part the 3rd - t't't'timing...

Additional ultrasonic signal is audible when it excites a dome tweeter oil drum breakup modes. This is easily demonstrated.
With real music sources, there is a good case for a gentler filter starting a little lower to remove some of the ~20 KHz "just about ultrasonic" that only children can hear anyway.

The ringing is only a impulse or square wave artifact, it is not adding or boosting a ringing signal that was not already there.
What I wrote is correct for ADC/downsampling - any energy in transition band of steep filter. I completely agree DAC filters are a different discussion, since their input should be band-limited.

Additional ultrasonic signal is audible when it excites a dome tweeter oil drum breakup modes. This is easily demonstrated.

Certainly. But the ringing is not additional. It is the absence of ultrasonics that manifests in the time domain as what is now called ringing.

OK. Long time no see. This evening, I just happened to look up the Norwegian Stereo+ / Stereopluss site, and as it happens, they have published their findings about lossy MQA. It is in Norwegian but I will gladly give translating it a go as I am on sick leave at the moment. Here it is, I suppose that you should be able to look at the nice spectrogram analyses and such:

https://www.stereopluss.no/mqa-for-viderekomne.6410460-355425.html

The title is approximately, "Advanced Lessons in MQA," so not exactly "undergrad stuff".

From the conclusion:

"Det som beskrives over av Craven, er at de som bruker apodising filterteknikk vil oppnå den samme korreksjonen av pre-ringing impulsresponsproblemer fra studio som MQA hevder de gjør. Spørsmålet som da melder seg: Er det eneste MQA egentlig tilbyr en videreutvikling av dette filteret? De ser nemlig ikke ut til å kunne forbedre impulsresponsen i MQA-enkoderen i forhold til native high-res.* og **

Man sitter da igjen med at MQA kanskje kun fikser et problem som i høy grad håndteres av DAC-produsentene selv, med mindre de bevisst har valgt et lineært filter på utgangene."

= [from the conclusion]

"What is described by Craven is the fact that those who use apodising filtering techniques will achieve the [very] same correction of pre-ringing impulse problems from (the) studio that MQA claim to do. The questions then is, "Is the only thing that MQA really offer a further development of this filter?" MQA do not seem to be able to improve the impulse response in the MQA encoder compared to the impulse response of native hi res.

You are left with the impression that perhaps MQA only fix a problem that to a high degree is handled by the DAC manufacturers themselves, unless they deliberately have chosen a linear filter for the output."

What about NOS dacs, do they still need to/do not need to apply filters to fix pre-ringing. I wonder if any of the newish ladder dacs are MQA enabled/certified?

Someone else will have to answer that question.

I believe that @Jim Audiomisc came to a similar conclusion about the application of an apodising filter when MQA does the lossy encoding, and the origami folding + secret sauce equalising happens.

I would rather not pay that extra MQA tax that MQA inc. try to force upon music lovers. Their product is most likely pure unadulterated snake oil. Shame on MQA!

I can't comment on specific current 'NOS' DACs as I don't know enough about individual examples. But can make a general point.

NOS may or may not mean the use of a following *analogue* low pass filter. Questions about pre-ringing, etc, then depend on the details of that filter. If there isn't one, the buck gets passed on to the following items in the chain. Which ends, of course, with the speakers... which often 'ring' at HF. (Many examples now shown in HFN speaker reviews as they go up above 20kHz and show this nicely.)

advertisement

Back