advertisement

ESLs in trouble???

davidjt

pfm Member
It's been over a year since I've been back in France. Old stone house, cold in Winter, cool in Summer but no obvious signs of damp indoors.

First things first - I switched the power back on and fired up the '57s. Nothing else. After about half an hour (?) I thought I could hear a hornet in its death throes - they're relatively quiet towards the end. But instead it's the right hand ESL. If memory serves, only the left one has had a replacement HT board recently.

Questions: Is it on its way out or could it settle down?
It would be inaudible with music playing - but could that damage the speaker further, or the amp?
Should I switch off straight away and make do with the cheapo Focals?

I think I've just talked myself into the last option, but any helpful observations welcome.

I'd say let the 57s charge for a day. Check your humidity. Get it down below 55%. Use the Focals until the Quads are quiet.

Thanks for the replies. Patience was never one of my virtues. But just this once.....maybe.

Ensure they're in a room that is dry /warm meanwhile; its not just the panel but the HV supply itself that is susceptible to accumulated moisture, which will show-up as excess leakage as current draw/buzzing.

I'd leave them off for a few days in the living area while you air the place out, then power-up: no, there might not have been overt condensation you know of - but this would ensure no harm.

Or…unplug for 48 hours, pop the Metal grilles off and start to clean up all the dust 57s attract - I used first a Hoover with soft brush and then baby wipes on my 57s - honestly, the amount of gunk they attract is unbelievable…and you cannot see it until you remove the grilles. 63s much better in this respect, no idea why…maybe because they’re 20 years younger :)

They could probably do with a clean. As could the rest of the house after a year away.
Fortunately, according to the forecast, it will cool down enough to tackle some of that tomorrow.
A Class A amp should be bearable, too.

advertisement

Back