advertisement

Audiolab CDT 6000, anyone heard it?

Chas B

pfm Member
I've been thinking about getting another CD player for some time but haven't acted on it yet. I recently read a few reviews about this transport from Audiolab which is supposed to be very good. I just wondered if anyone here had heard one or better still owned one, if so I would love to hear your opinion of it.

Owner here. I can’t comment for it’s sound (if transports have a sound), but I love mine. Well built, programmable, and has never failed to read a disc.

That’s no mean feat, given at least half of my discs come from the charity shop.

It was a rare new purchase for me, and I’ve not regretted it for a moment.

I had one and compared it to the Cambridge CXC as well as my Meridian 500Mk2 and Exposure 3010S2 CD player (as transport only).

Between the Audiolab and the Cambridge, I preferred the Audiolab. Not a huge difference musically, but it seemed just a bit better overall. The Meridian and Exposure were both noticeably better, but are both discontinued and the Audiolab strikes me as a great bargain. I've been tempted to just buy one to have if the Meridian and Exposure both go tango uniform.

(DAC is a Naim nDAC/Pardo TXPS if that makes a difference to you.)

there are loads of threads on this cdt transport . mostly positive , one or two mention scratching discs but nearly all positive

Had one, worked well for about 4 months, started making weird grinding noise after ejection (like motor still going)... sent it back and got a replacement.

Had one, worked well for about 4 months, started making weird grinding noise after ejection (like motor still going)... sent it back and got a replacement.
These reports are putting me off a bit, have read a few cases where reliability has been iffy.

Mine has been fine. A very slightly darker presentation than then Pro-ject RS2T transport I own. Sound quality of both is excellent. Not bad as the RS2T is 6 times the price !. Buy with confidence.

I have two and I love the sound. Compared to other CD players as transports (using the same DAC) and it just sounds better. Full and rich and as has been said, never fails to read a disc.

These reports are putting me off a bit, have read a few cases where reliability has been iffy.
Not to worry, like all slot loaders if you pull the disc before it’s completely out it may think you are inserting the disc and start spinning. Not the fault of the player and easy to stop. It’s a fantastic budget player. Highly recommended!

Another very happy owner here. I use it with my Chord Mojo and to me sounds better than my Poly streaming Qobuz. Not by much but just sounds a tad smoother and less harsh. Maybe the difference between the optical and coax though.

Mostly positive replies here (never mind the many others online) with a 'few' bad ones putting you off?

That's what warranties are there for.

CD players do go wrong occasionally. If you are that worried about it ... stream.

No offense.

Not to worry, like all slot loaders if you pull the disc before it’s completely out it may think you are inserting the disc and start spinning. Not the fault of the player and easy to stop. It’s a fantastic budget player. Highly recommended!
I'm sure 99% of them are fine, but what you describe is not what happened here.
Agree with RoA, he should buy one and IF anything goes wrong, return it for a replacement - as I did.

I bought the Richer extended warranty, on the basis that I’m covered for six years for £40.

And you get the money back at the end, if you don’t claim. £400 for six years (including the warranty) seems like a reasonable cost per day.

Would love to try the expensive Project, or a CEC, but it would take a lot to persuade me the extra cost was worthwhile.

I have a 6000 CDT hooked up to an M-DAC in my spare room system and it's wonderful. No issues whatsoever. Totally solid and well in control and highlighted my need for better speakers to capture more of its capabilities.

Having said that, both the 6000 and the M-DAC are for sale at the moment to finance a Linn Ikemi CDP to complete my living room changes.

The 6000 is a lovely and capable piece of kit.

I bought the Richer extended warranty, on the basis that I’m covered for six years for £40.

And you get the money back at the end, if you don’t claim. £400 for six years (including the warranty) seems like a reasonable cost per day.

Would love to try the expensive Project, or a CEC, but it would take a lot to persuade me the extra cost was worthwhile.

The best extended warranty deal around. No brainer really if you plan to keep the purchase (I believe its non-transferable but could be wrong).

advertisement

Back