advertisement

Speakers with good off-axis response

Omni's like Shahinion or MBL are great for this. They also sound great.
If you just want conventional speakers, avoid horns (unless it's a shallow waveguide on the tweeter) and look for something like a 3 or 4-way with a small midrange. Anything between 2 and 5" for the midrange would be ideal.

You’re always going to hear the speaker you’re sitting closer to. Something I discovered this year was setting up my Tannoy speakers in a cross position where the axis crosses in front of the sweet spot. Reduces side wall reflections and makes the experience for those sitting left and right of the sweetspot better.

This white paper explains:

http://www.gedlee.com/Papers/directivity.pdf
That's fascinating. I'll give the paper a read. Thanks.

Budget?

Duevel Planets (£1050 in wood finish, cheaper in coloured cabinets) are the bargain among omnis; I used them with a DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0 room correction device (~£700) and the combination was terrific in my smallish room for the large-scale music I like.

Even better are the Duevel Venus (£4249 in bubinga veneer) to which I upgraded after a couple of years. Still using the DSPeaker, which I would never part with.

Once you become accustomed to omnis, all other speakers become irrelevant.
Definitely Duevel or Morrison speakers as per the link here :

https://www.morrisonaudio.com/

Another concept that really amazes me is the Boenick speakers but a tad more difficult to place in a room and a bit less widespread.

It’s pretty much Kefs USP at the moment. It should be easy to find a pair in a dealer to audition.

When I heard them the sound wasn’t for me, quite big and bold sounding, not massively detailed but could sound like good fun.

I was at a show where Kef demoed about three or four different models at different price points. A lot of the audience were impressed, especially with the Blades.

Something on the smaller side and incredibly fun is the Davone Mojo. I tend to like the omni presentation though...

Most decent speakers with a wave guide around the tweeter and Dual concentrics, if well designed.

advertisement

Back