advertisement

Fancy a steak and chips down the pub

But the experience of a good meal out will last a life time.
Indeed, I quite agree.
We had my 40th at Gordon Ramsey's in Chelsea, way way back.
The food was superlative and the service was remarkable. We felt as if we were the only people there. It was fantastic.

But it did spoil me. Coming back to my little seaside town, I was immediately aware of paying nearly as much for food that I could have bettered at home.

I like small restaurants and cafes in France. You can have good food for little money.
Or you can go to a Michelin starred restaurant for something special. Either is a good meal.

:rolleyes: you got Google?

I am sure the meal described by @MichaelC was fantastic and will live long in the memory. All the ingredients would have been in mis en place already and may well have ended up in the stock pot or bin or staff meal depending on policy, date etc....

I do have Google. Sounds like a great moment. I sounded bitter, I didn't mean to.

Ok. I have actually eaten at the Hand and Flowers. More than once. It was excellent. Yes, it was expensive, but given the quality of the food and the overall experience I didn't feel it was bad value at all. That judgement clearly depends on your own personal circumstances, preferences and locations.

I've also been to the Manoir au Quatre Saisons, which costs a lot more. Similar to k90tour I came away thinking that was a lot of money, but now I have a benchmark for how good a meal can be, and it's made me very intolerant of places which charge even half as much without even trying to achieve these standards.

Carping about expensive restaurants is no more sensible than moaning about expensive luxury cars, hifi, cameras, wrist watches, or anything else that is entirely discretionary.

Food is a necessity, cars and cameras are a commodity.

Like Estate Agents, those who profits heavily from the sale of a necessity have skewed morals.

I’ve had a Bellini at Harry’s bar, Venice.
€16.
Ridiculous.
But you only live once.

Food is a necessity

Eating out in a Michelin 2* restaurant isn’t though, it’s a treat. It’s as much a Veblen experience as going into a Rolex/Naim/Porsche dealership and handing over your credit card, the goods might not last as long, but the memories might well last longer, depending on the occasion.

Personally, if I was dining at a 2* restaurant, I might try something a tad more adventurous than a steak and chips though.

I like small restaurants and cafes in France. You can have good food for little money.
Or you can go to a Michelin starred restaurant for something special. Either is a good meal.

Yes, another stand out memory for me. Best part of twenty years ago we stayed with friends in their home in Luzech. One lunch time we popped out to one of the nearby villages for lunch. A lovely rural restaurant, basic but full of charm. Richard did warn us, with a wink, to eat moderately. No menu whatsoever. Rather, you simply ate what you were served. Wow, wow, wow. Simple, rural cooking, wholesome food, so many courses, each sublime all washed down with locally produced wine.

Oh, so may other memories come to mind. From home cooking to meals out in a whole variety of different places.

There are simply priceless memories which always bring a smile…

I went to Carters of Moseley, a Michelin starred, 10 course tasting menu ‘experience’ kind of restaurant for the first time at the weekend. Never been to that sort of establishment before.

At £125 a head plus drinks I can’t afford to do that often or without saving up, but this was a special occasion that’s been a long time coming.

It was definitely worth it IMO. Thoughtful, occasionally even thought provoking, distinctive, genuinely an experience. Some of the food was unbelievable, as of course it should be.

For a normal menu with the same dishes you can get elsewhere, but at triple the normal price, I do think that’s bordering on the obscene. So the steak and chips doesn’t sound like a good idea. But for what’s effectively a carefully curated, memorable evening once in a blue moon, I’d happily go back for that.

I’ve eaten in a lot of posh joints but the ones I remember were simpler affairs. Outside in Alicante in a narrow street eating paella and drinking a rough chilled red, high in Chatel in a ski chalet eating something Savoyard with a beer or rowing ashore to a little place in Lamlash that opened just for us and eating Lobster from the bay.

For a really special occasion, eating at an expensive, good restaurant is very memorable and a real treat. We spent a weekend at le Manoir au Quatre Saisons, and it was fabulous. Surprisingly relaxing, friendly, and the food was exceptional. Mr Blanc was wafting around, and we had a very pleasant chat with him during courses (of which there were lots!). There's always that awkward moment around the autograph thing, but I was happy enough to sign a blank cheque he happened to have handy.

Lussmans, a local restaurant chain (4 or so establishments) provides the opportunity to pay a discretionary 12.5% service charge, apparently tax free for all staff.
£100 for a good meal for two, including a few glasses of vino, that makes sense to me.

Bloss

IFBTJB

That makes me furious! WTF is a "discretionary 12.5% service charge"?????? If you want to tip (repeat: "tip") you tip what you like, be it 5% or 25%.
And "service charge" makes no sense. If you go to a restaurant someone brings the food to your table, and afterwards takes the empty dishes away. That is what a restaurant is. So why a "service charge"? Is service optional? Can I go into the kitchen and get the food myself?
It can be so simple. You pay the prices on the menu, and if you are satisfied you "leave a tip," which by definition is "discretionary." And don't let me hear any nonsense about waiters not being paid and having to live off tips, that is not my problem, and I know nothing, and do not want to know anything, about the relationship between waiters and management.

Spending £25 a head in a restaurant once a week is the same as £100 a head once a month. Your choice.
Spending £10 each on 3 bottles of wine a week is the same as £30 on 1 bottle of wine a week. Your choice.

advertisement

Back