advertisement

Tyre sizes and departing from OEM spec

But if you’re aware, and know not to exceed, say 27 indicated in a 30 limit, would you still be illegal? And how much discretion does an MOT tester have over an opinion that something is ‘inappropriate’?

1 - As long as you don't speed, there's no problem. If you do speed and get caught, "sorry officer I had big tyres" won't cut it.

2 - That's a very grey area and down to what the tester thinks is safe and roadworthy IAW the guidelines - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-ins...les-wheels-tyres-and-suspension#section-5-2-3 for example, rubbing at full lock might be considered an issue ("fouling").

So you might get away with it, or you might not. :)

A quick back of the envelope calculation suggests a 3% change in diameter would give you just slightly under a 10% change in the rolling circumference, which would potentially increase your car speedo error beyond the 'nominal' +10%/-0% that manufacturers are believed to be allowed*

Might be just a case that somebody's done the calc. and figured out that's the max change you can have before your speedo is legally unfit for purpose ?

*I haven't had my morning coffee yet, so that calc could be rubbish btw.. :(

And since the odometer is part of the speedo, your mileage would also be off, affecting service intervals and such.

And since the odometer is part of the speedo, your mileage would also be off, affecting service intervals and such.
It's not going to be sufficiently far out to make a difference, service intervals are nominal anyway. If 10,000 miles becomes 9500 or 10500, no big deal.

My wife's SLK needs tyres and, having been impressed by the Michelin Cross Climates on my C-class, I'm also thinking about putting all-season tyres on that. The front (225/40R18 92Y XL) is no problem as there are plenty of all-seasons available in that size, including the Michelins. The rear seems to be a problem though - it's 245/35R18 92Y XL and there don't seem to be any all-seasons matching that size and speed rating. The closest (and which some sites list as a fitting for the car) is the Continental AllSeasonContact however it's a W speed rating in that fitting (and the front fitting), not Y. Given W speed rating is 168mph (compared to the 186mph of the Y) then that still seems like it should be ok (given the top-speed of the car isn't much over 150mph).

Any thoughts?

My wife's SLK needs tyres and, having been impressed by the Michelin Cross Climates on my C-class, I'm also thinking about putting all-season tyres on that. The front (225/40R18 92Y XL) is no problem as there are plenty of all-seasons available in that size, including the Michelins. The rear seems to be a problem though - it's 245/35R18 92Y XL and there don't seem to be any all-seasons matching that size and speed rating. The closest (and which some sites list as a fitting for the car) is the Continental AllSeasonContact however it's a W speed rating in that fitting (and the front fitting), not Y. Given W speed rating is 168mph (compared to the 186mph of the Y) then that still seems like it should be ok (given the top-speed of the car isn't much over 150mph).

Any thoughts?

Is the Michelin Pilot All Season 4 available in your sizes?

Doesn't look like it. Looks like they tend to be for bigger and lower profile options.

Not that this does you any good, but your sizes are available for the Pilot Sport All Season 4 in the USA:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...iameter=18&rearSortCode=53950&performance=ALL

DW5XB0h.jpg

Hmm - it doesn't come up on any of the UK tyre places I tried or the Michelin site (in fact I don't think the 4 version of that appears at all - seems to just be the 3).

I once had a National tyre chain fit the wrong size tyres on the back of a C5 estate most likely to save money when I asked them to price match another supplier. No one noticed until they were due replacement when I spotted the front and rear tyres were different sizes.

Any thoughts?

what are the standard range of tyre sizes quoted? It'll be in the handbook, might also be on a sticker on the driver door pillar.

TBH if you can fit the same size on the rears as the fronts, they are only 20mm diff width, I'd just do that. Fitting allweather tyres of same tread width all round isn't suddenly going to turn it into an oversteery monster.. esp on an SLK ;)

And there is just so much 'oh but insurance' FUD up-thread it is unbelievable.
  • Check the handbook for the recommended range of sizes.
  • Fit within those ranges if pos. Pick for purpose first, like your entirely-justifiable consideration of response to local climate: and forget the excess speed rating, you don't need 186mph in the UK...
  • Fit, forget: enjoy a safe drive in-season everywhere. You have taken more care over your choices than / a desperately, god-awfully high proportion of the unthinking/ covered by the exactly-similar kinds of insurance provisions and considerations.

PS on speed rating: of course winter/cross climate tyres aren't available in the higher bands - poor conditions are the definition of mitigation against needing such!

sincerely
Captain Obvious.

TBH if you can fit the same size on the rears as the fronts, they are only 20mm diff width, I'd just do that.
Even if the rear wheels are wider? I think that would look naff.

Actually, I think that combination is off. The rear 245/35R18 tyres have a smaller rolling diameter than the 225/40R18 fronts. A closer match would be 255/35R18 on the back. If the rear wheel is at least 8.5" wide, 255 section tyres will fit with no problems, except maybe more understeer at the limits.

The diesel SLK has masses of torque and is quite prone to oversteer, and in slippery conditions even with the traction control active - so I wouldn't be inclined to fit narrower tyres than standard at the back.

Mercedes models tend to have so many possible fitments that they're not marked on the car or in the handbook - so it can be tricky to work out what standard options are available.

PS on speed rating: of course winter/cross climate tyres aren't available in the higher bands - poor conditions are the definition of mitigation against needing such!

Definitely the case with winter tyres, but not with cross climates as they are an all year fitment.

sincerely
Captain Obvious.

A friend took his Pirelli Sottozero-shod Golf Edition to the Nurburgring in spring a few years ago. The Sottozero is a pure winter tyre. Drove flat out in mild, wet conditions fast enough to have to stop to let his passenger puke over an Armco barrier, and cleared 140mph a few times. That was in 2013, and winter/cross climate tyres have come a long way since.
And no, he didn’t destroy the tyres, the rubber didn’t turn to bubblegum, and he knows how to drive very fast.

advertisement

Back