advertisement

Fancy a steak and chips down the pub

If what he says is correct, then good on him. If he’s paying his staff decent money for a professional job, then that’ll bump up his costs massively. Perhaps what this highlights is rather the way most of the hospitality trade exploits its staff, because the market balks at paying a fair price?

On the one hand he says he pays fair wages, we have his word for that, he also says why is profit a bad word, these prices are ridiculous, the steak and chips with cabbage for £94.50 probably cost him well under a tenner to buy in.

All power to him and his team and good on him paying the team appropriately. Lots of top restaurants paying peanuts to the staff as they get the "honour" of working at a Michelin star establishment.

Plenty of Harvesters out there if you want a cheap steak and chips

He’ll charge what the market will bear. His restaurant is full for months, so he’s either bang on the money or too cheap. Of course it helps he’s in a nice part of the country.

On the one hand he says he pays fair wages, we have his word for that, he also says why is profit a bad word, these prices are ridiculous, the steak and chips with cabbage for £94.50 probably cost him well under a tenner to buy in.

https://www.caterer.com/job/restaurant-waiting-staff/hand-and-flowers-limited-job93184700

He pays waiting staff £20.5k pa minimum. A quick calculation means a wage of at least £9.5 per hour (45 hrs a week, 48 weeks a year) which is over minimum wage. It doesn't mention what happens to gratuities.

Whether that counts as "decent", I dunno.

It might be a pub technically but it is a Michelin 2* restaurant. And it is Marlow. I might not pay it but obviously there are some that do.

I doubt it, top beef joints are expensive and anyway the cost of the food is a small part of the cost, his prices include service and VAT as well. Then the rest of the costs, high wages - we assume he is telling the truth, rent/mortgage, business rates in Marlow, creating the environment, the number of covers is probably limited. It would not take long to get there.

There is a whole industry of high end Steak franchises in the USA where an $60 to $120 steak before sides is not unusual. Look at Mortons, Capitol Grill, Ruth's Chris etc etc. These are not top end by US Steak standards either, you can pay way more than that.

Can't stick to Wetherspoons, wouldn't set foot in one.

That depends on which Wetherspoons. I've been in some cracking well run ones, and I've also been in some real shitholes.

If you wouldn't enter one because of the twat that owns them, that's something I can understand though.

If what he says is correct, then good on him. If he’s paying his staff decent money for a professional job, then that’ll bump up his costs massively. Perhaps what this highlights is rather the way most of the hospitality trade exploits its staff, because the market balks at paying a fair price?
To an extent yes, when I was in the trade, I ended up paying my staff more than I paid myself in order to provide good food, good service and stay competitive… that’s why I’m not in the trade anymore. I know the real cost/s of running an eatery, so I do tend to gravitate towards those that charge a premium but treat their staff in an ethical manner… £87 for a steak and chips is a stretch too far for me though. Knowing what I know now, I’d have marketed at a higher end in the first place rather than trying to compete on pricing with the local carvery… I was providing massively better food and service than the surrounding businesses but when I tried raising my prices to a level where I could make a living myself, people complained.

I think top quality dining (food, service, environment) can be worth every penny. I will forever fondly remember the 3 Michelin star restaurant my wife (or soon to be) and I visited in Bruges as young and relatively naive diners. An experience we'll likely never have again.

However, I firmly believe even exceptional quality food should be priced to make it affordable to all. Perhaps a few weeks of scrimping and saving, but something attainable as a special treat.

Those prices are taking the p1iss, and only targeting a specific demographic.

While we're at it, no reasonably priced entry level wine is also two fingers up to the diners imo

Good luck to him, i bet a detailed list of his overheads would make it look cheap.

Had a steak at home last week that was £14 for a start.

Exactly, his costs just to open the door will be astronomical. Now he’s got higher NI costs to find. If he does manage to turn a profit, higher div tax as well. Might as well make it £100, he’d still be full.

The whole Daily Record article just comes across as a whinge from someone who doesn't understand the costs involved in running a restaurant. What is the relevance of the Christmas hamper cost and it's cooking time?

advertisement

Back