advertisement

Size does matter!

Part one I can answer, but part two is becoming harder and harder all the time. I suspect I won’t bother replacing my current one when it gives out.

I never had one my whole adult life, then a couple of years ago I caved in and bought some 50" Samsung monstrosity, when the novelty wore off I put it in the spare bedroom then eventually sold it on here when I got sick of tripping over it.

I bought a 26 inch Loewe TV in 2007 from Audio T in Enfield abet in sits in an Old Charm cabinet which I bought in the 1980’s works for me and the wife.

Regards,

Martin

We've got a 32" dinosaur of a TV which we got for free from my daughter's ex-boyfriend. It serves its purpose, which is mainly for us to watch DVDs on it, but I have discovered that one of the obscure Freeview channels is showing old episodes of Perry Mason, and I'm hooked on those.

I had a 16” Sony widescreen CRT in my first home in the corner of a 6x5 meter room, so I was always around 4-5 meters or away from it, and it was fine then. I have a 55” Sony Oled 2.5 meters away from me now in my listening room… sat 6 meters away from the 43” TV in the living room, it looks tiny now, but I have a projector in there projecting a 150” image for serious viewing.

They are so ugly when off. And the bigger the uglier. I'm surprised there are no roll-down, or pull-up, fabric coverings to conceal them. Remember the TVs built into a sideboard with doors? If you have a nice living room, nice carpets, furniture, paintings, it seems like a crime to put one of these things in it.

Our TV (42" I believe) lives under a nice velvet throw when not in use, which is most of the time. Having that big blank screen in the corner is like having Father Stone over permanently. The amount of people who have their tele on all the time, and no books anywhere, is... well, it's quite sad.

They are so ugly when off. And the bigger the uglier. I'm surprised there are no roll-down, or pull-up, fabric coverings to conceal them. Remember the TVs built into a sideboard with doors? If you have a nice living room, nice carpets, furniture, paintings, it seems like a crime to put one of these things in it.

There a a number of solutions here. Some TVs can be mirrors when switched off. Several Samsung models can be made to look like very convincing pictures on the wall when not being used.

In our flat in Tel Aviv, which is mostly made of plasterboard, the 32" TV lives in a flat "niche" about 20cm deep. So I thought of putting in a thin curtain rail with two mini-curtains to conceal it. But then I thought it would look like a Punch &Judy think, or a toy theatre, or in a sense a tea cosy. I've been thinking about it for years.

Our television is 40” but is on a groovy wall mount that pulls out about 2’ making the screen appear 50”+ (the wall mount is like an arm that folds in or extends.) Most of the time it is pushed flat against the wall.
The TV looks great pulled out when we watch something worth the phaff, and gaming is more fun.
We might go crazy and have a 42” TV next time.
The current telly is a Sony summat or other.
The picture is adequate but not stunning.
It must be 5+ yrs old?

The amount of people who have their tele on all the time, and no books anywhere, is... well, it's quite sad.

why? we have pretty much given 1000s of books to charity, but taking up space we could I'll afford.

who are you to make judgement on others lifestyle choices

Good God you sound like Hyacinth Bucket!! It's a bloody telly and if you hide it in a cupboard it becomes very obviously a cupboard with a telly in it!!.

You'll be telling us next that you keep all of your hi-fi kit in cupboard and have one speaker behind the couch and the other behind the curtains...;)

We have a rather lovely 42" Panasonic. It was passed to us by my very generous Sister in Law who likes her telly and often upgrades. It doesn't really fit the room properly in its current position and would be far better between the speakers of my hi-fi.. but I've given up on that argument with 'er indoors. The sound is surprisingly good for a 'flattie'.

We watch quite a lot of TV.. mostly BBC, but some films on Prime etc. I also still buy DVD's of stuff I really want.

Good God you sound like Hyacinth Bucket!! It's a bloody telly and if you hide it in a cupboard it becomes very obviously a cupboard with a telly in it!!.

You'll be telling us next that you keep all of your hi-fi kit in cupboard and have one speaker behind the couch and the other behind the curtains...;)
Or in Queen Anne cabinets with a filigree pattern grille…

My old 40" Sony is pulled back between the ESLs when I'm having a music session, but I then pull it forward about 2 metres for watching. The potential downside is that when I replace my TV, I'm limited in size to avoid blocking passage between the speakers. So far, with the latest rimless models, I can get by with a 49", but I'd much prefer larger.

Unlike all the m/coil speakers I've had, with the TV in front of the speakers it's still an excellent sound presentation. Not sure why that should be, mind you.

Those charts have very little real world meaning.

I had a 65" OLED based on the optimum viewing on a similar chart, and had to trade it for a 55" OLED. The 65" was just too much, it was like putting on the news and being in a Hollywood Blockbuster, far too stressful. Great for the occasional lights off movie, but on a day to day basis, the 55" is much more suitable.

Bigger isn't always better.

The single most deciding factor is the size of your room. Clearly, a 95" telly in the front room of a 2 up 2 down terrace is not clever.
I still recall my amusement when flat TVs appeared and all the folks in the street with 'big ones' (very Freudian) used to leave their curtains open in the evening to advertise their latest acquisition. For some reason.. they also tended to have them mounted half way up a chimney breast, ensuring a stiff neck from lengthy viewing.

. they also tended to have them mounted half way up a chimney breast, ensuring a stiff neck from lengthy viewing.

This completely baffles me too...I've been in peoples houses, who have reasonably big living rooms so mounting a tv would be possible at normal heights, but no, they put it on a chimney breast an inch for the ceiling and all sit back like astronauts to watch Neighbours.

My Bulgarian ex tenants had this massive TV; must have been in excess of 75". The room is no wider that 9' which meant viewing from the sofa was i.r.o. 6 to 6.5 feet. I don't think it's possible to take in the whole screen under those conditions. Maybe the brain scans four quarters separately and creates a composite whole????

My daughter has just told me in a phone conversation that her 13 y.o. Samsung's sound had deteriorated to the extent that it was unusable; oddly, it has no h/phone socket. She's now looking for a cheap but good 40 to 50" TV but doesn't live in a Richer Sounds/John Lewis area. She mentioned Hisense as being recommended (by Which?). Never heard of them, so I must be showing my age. She doesn't have terrestrial TV;, only uses it as a monitor for Playstation, Netflix or whatever.

advertisement

Back