advertisement

Maggie! Maggie! Maggie!

Lovely review.
Nice to see a Pinkie comrade valuing the quality of these planars. I really love mine. I’ve got the positioning and integration with REL just about right now. I played my test Chesky recording yesterday and it was hair raising.
Best hifi purchase I have ever made.

Great write-up @Robert

Do these have the whole planar diaphragm/VCwinding in front of the magnets still? If so, as a single-ended 'drive' that can't but add a significant measure of % 2nd HD.;maybe why they can juice-up such older recordings... not like that's a bad thing! - & these do appear fantastic vfm given your other comments.

keep enjoying them, and I would love to hear a pair.
ATB

Great write-up @Robert

Do these have the whole planar diaphragm/VCwinding in front of the magnets still? If so, as a single-ended 'drive' that can't but add a significant measure of % 2nd HD.;maybe why they can juice-up such older recordings... not like that's a bad thing! - & these do appear fantastic vfm given your other comments.

keep enjoying them, and I would love to hear a pair.
ATB

Thanks Martin,

Yes I believe still single ended and you could well be right on 2nd HD.
Older Maggies used wire bonded to the mylar but these and all recent Maggies use a thin aluminium foil for both bass and tweeter. The crossover looks to be around 700Hz from the impedance plot, so quite low, and 1st order electrical - one series inductor and cap.

Lovely review.
Nice to see a Pinkie comrade valuing the quality of these planars. I really love mine. I’ve got the positioning and integration with REL just about right now. I played my test Chesky recording yesterday and it was hair raising.
Best hifi purchase I have ever made.

Thanks - I've yet to fire up the subs :)

I heard them at the Bristol show and thought, wow that is a lot of ESL type goodness for not a huge outlay, and as we all know, shows are a great way to hear components at their worst ... nice write up Robert, now if only Mrs Nobeone was open to large panels in the middle of the room ... ah well, when the kids have left and I win the lottery, perhaps a separate listening room with security code only I know will allow ...

Robert, nice review. I do remember that Walrus HiFi (remember them) liked Maggies and had a nice room at one show with SMGa's, Lector amp and cdp. Terje Rypdal sounded fantastic.

I don't mind the lack of sparkle as at the tender age of 61 I can barely hear above 5k these days. Back in the day, I do believe some folk put piezo tweeters on them. I did try that but I didn't hear any difference.

....... now if only Mrs Nobeone was open to large panels in the middle of the room ... ah well, when the kids have left and I win the lottery, perhaps a separate listening room with security code only I know will allow ...
Tastes vary and I'm no style expert..... But I've always wondered why dreadful, metal speaker speaker stands (with funny veneered boxes perched on top of them) find their way into people's homes yet panels are somehow a no-no.

Tastes vary and I'm no style expert..... But I've always wondered why dreadful, metal speaker speaker stands (with funny veneered boxes perched on top of them) find their way into people's homes yet panels are somehow a no-no.
Oh completely agree, panels can be nicely architectural and angle iron with mdf lumps on are ugly, but for me it would be a difference of the same ugly black ash boxes for the last few decades (but up against the wall) versus a radical change to panels out in "the middle" of the room. Some discussions I know I have lost before I start, not because Mrs Nobeone is unreasonable, but because putting panels in "the middle" of the room when it is the family living room is unreasonable :p

loved my 1.4's than I had them in a 2nd system better than any electrostatics that I have owned in the bass, but worse in the treble and imaging. a good compromise. I first heard the 1.4's at a WAM show and was looking for the sub since the bass was so good.

Rgds
Stuart

Oh completely agree, panels can be nicely architectural and angle iron with mdf lumps on are ugly, but for me it would be a difference of the same ugly black ash boxes for the last few decades (but up against the wall) versus a radical change to panels out in "the middle" of the room. Some discussions I know I have lost before I start, not because Mrs Nobeone is unreasonable, but because putting panels in "the middle" of the room when it is the family living room is unreasonable :p
I get that 100%. Please dont think my remarks were aimed at you personally.

Magnepan state that you should not put MC1s (small wall-mounted Maggies) in corners here: https://www.magnepan.com/model_MC1
My Quad ESL57s work well high up in the corners of my small study.

At one point, I owned a pair of MC1sand I am not adverse to the idea of buying another set for our livingroom + a set of good subwoofers or Magnepan Woofers. They are very discrete compared to Quad ESLs or bigger Magnepan speakers. I also owned a set of Magnepan 1.7s at one point so I know my wife's attitude to Magneplanar speakers large and small.

Reactions: RoA
Yesterday was one of those days where the neighbours are away on holiday and I can crank things.
So I did, crazy loud all afternoon after putting the Rega Elicit-R on suicide watch.

We got about three hours in before the protect relays cut to silence right in the middle of Jimmy Smith's Root Down in felt pelt. Sink temperature was up at 70 degrees - Ouch!

The sort of afternoon I have about once a year and it was good to establish the limits.
I couldn't overdrive the LRS with 170W into 4 Ohms and the Rega didn't lack current, it just reached thermal capacity.

I get around 160W into 4ohms. The Yamaha seems very efficient and the REL is taking a little more of the potential strain. Playing the Thorens through them at the moment. Really engaging listen. Positioning of the instrumentalists, mid range detail and appropriate bass extension all apparent.
Great stuff.

Yesterday was one of those days where the neighbours are away on holiday and I can crank things.
So I did, crazy loud all afternoon after putting the Rega Elicit-R on suicide watch.

We got about three hours in before the protect relays cut to silence right in the middle of Jimmy Smith's Root Down in felt pelt. Sink temperature was up at 70 degrees - Ouch!

The sort of afternoon I have about once a year and it was good to establish the limits.
I couldn't overdrive the LRS with 170W into 4 Ohms and the Rega didn't lack current, it just reached thermal capacity.
Have you engaged your subs yet Robert?

I had a pair of the MG-1 Maggies back in the late Seventies, sounded amazing when positioned properly in my largish room.

Until you stood up…then mid-high frequencies disappeared. Vertical dispersion was virtually non-existent.

advertisement

Back