advertisement

MF System Camera

Mr Perceptive

Perceptive Member
Right I've decided to purchase an MF system camera, interchangeable backs, interchangeable lenses. I want to keep the weight reasonable (so no Fuji GX680s!!) but I can't make my mind up between 645 and 6x6. I like 645 negatives, they give plenty of detail and scan well but I've always had a hankering to shoot 6x6. A square camera with 50/80mm lens combination would suit my day out shooting.

I want through the lens viewing so no rangefinders (this time), I also don't have unlimited funds so I think a Hasselblad is not achieveable.

Currently I'm drawn to the Bronica's ETRS range (645) or the SQ range (6x6), if any one has any experinece of these or alternative cameras please feel free to impart some knowledge!

No knowledge - but if you do want an SQ system - I have an entire set in an aluminium flight case here. It was my Dads - and I am not a photographer. Do contact me if interested.

I dreamed of getting one of these back in the day...

00H5JUK.jpg

The SLR camera I most enjoyed photographing with was the Contax RX, which I bought '98 and used well into the late '00s.
It was an upgrade from the 167mt

I have three MF systems, a Mamiya 645, Hasselblad, and Mamiya RZ67 system. This covers 645, 6x6 and 6x7. If I were to only be able to keep one, it would be the Hasselblad setup. I think 6x6 is the best compromise for me, but saying that, i've just invested in a digital back for the 645, so that is likely to see more love this year, so we'll see where that leads.

In general I find that I shoot only B&W through these cameras, and the negative sizes for them all is totally up to the job. Printing from 645 or 6x7 feels very natural to paper, 6x6 you almost always end up cropping and so have more decisions to make when printing. Being able to print square is something i've done less than I was expecting, but is nice when it's right for the subject.

You mention interchangeable backs - i've found that I rarely go out with multiple films, so i'm not sure if this is something you need specifically from the system. You didn't mention interchangeable finders - are you expecting to end up with a prism or a waist level finder? This is most relevant for 645 since if you want to take portrait shots, you have to hold the camera sideways, so you need a grip and a prism to be able to see what you are doing and not drop the camera. This adds significantly to the weight, but it is something that you can remove if you are not wanting that ability.

If you do end up leaning to 645, the other option to consider is the older Mamiya 645 system, the manual focus one. Those cameras have a lot going for them, mainly huge numbers of cheap and decent lens options, and some choice of finders and backs.

Another 6x6 option to consider is the Rollei SL66 which tend to be cheaper than the equivalent Hasselblad, and have bellows and tilt built into the body.

Oh, and obviously, you can stick a 645 back on the 6x6 bodies if you want that negative shape but want to keep your options open between the two negative formats.

You mention interchangeable backs - i've found that I rarely go out with multiple films, so i'm not sure if this is something you need specifically from the system.

If you shoot a lot then isn't it easier to load a few backs before going out and just replace them as they film gets exposed?

I have three MF systems, a Mamiya 645, Hasselblad, and Mamiya RZ67 system. This covers 645, 6x6 and 6x7. If I were to only be able to keep one, it would be the Hasselblad setup. I think 6x6 is the best compromise for me, but saying that, i've just invested in a digital back for the 645, so that is likely to see more love this year, so we'll see where that leads.

In general I find that I shoot only B&W through these cameras, and the negative sizes for them all is totally up to the job. Printing from 645 or 6x7 feels very natural to paper, 6x6 you almost always end up cropping and so have more decisions to make when printing. Being able to print square is something i've done less than I was expecting, but is nice when it's right for the subject.

You mention interchangeable backs - i've found that I rarely go out with multiple films, so i'm not sure if this is something you need specifically from the system. You didn't mention interchangeable finders - are you expecting to end up with a prism or a waist level finder? This is most relevant for 645 since if you want to take portrait shots, you have to hold the camera sideways, so you need a grip and a prism to be able to see what you are doing and not drop the camera. This adds significantly to the weight, but it is something that you can remove if you are not wanting that ability.

If you do end up leaning to 645, the other option to consider is the older Mamiya 645 system, the manual focus one. Those cameras have a lot going for them, mainly huge numbers of cheap and decent lens options, and some choice of finders and backs.

Another 6x6 option to consider is the Rollei SL66 which tend to be cheaper than the equivalent Hasselblad, and have bellows and tilt built into the body.

Oh, and obviously, you can stick a 645 back on the 6x6 bodies if you want that negative shape but want to keep your options open between the two negative formats.

Multiple backs is a must for me (this time), this is the most limiting thing about my GA645 in that it often has the wrong film in it.

I quite fancy a WLF but I understand the limitations with 645 and almost certainly would need a prism finder (as well)

Thanks for the info

I don't have much experience and none recently, but when I was shooting this stuff, the build of the Bronica was not up to Mamiya standards. Doubt this helps much but buying used kit it may matter.

If you shoot a lot then isn't it easier to load a few backs before going out and just replace them as they film gets exposed?

It's even easier to go out with no film loaded, and few rolls in your bag. Once you decide what the light is, you load and shoot the film in one go. With 6x6 it's only 12 shots after all, so easy enough to get through. Leaving a half finished film in a camera back is the mistake to avoid (i'm not perfect at this, but that's the right approach). Also, if the light is too strong to load a back out in the field, you need less sensitive film :)

I've got 3 different MF cameras - a Mamiya M645, and for 6x6 a Yashica 635 (basically a Yashicamat TLR) and the Hasselblad 500C/M.

The M645 is from a time (mid-late 70's) when Mamiya were making all-metal cameras, and the build is significantly better than the later ones. Non-interchangeable back though and no built-in meter - you can find metered prisms though on eBay etc. Lenses are excellent, especially if you can track down the stunning 80-1.9 (not cheap though!).

The 635 is a lot of fun, has a superb lens and is about as simple a camera as you can get (within reason, natch). I changed the focusing screen to a split prism which has made a vast difference. The standard one is very dim.

The Hasselblad? Just get one. :)

I've used a Hasselblad V system, and various other MF film cameras (Fuji 6x9, and 6x17). Although I like the 6x6 format, I found the V-system heavy, clumsy and non-intuitive in operation, and I much preferred using a 4x5 Sinar. I currently use a Hasselblad H2; it's easy to carry, has highly accurate metering, can use both film & digital backs, and is well-built. I think Mamiya, Phase One and Fuji have very similar cameras to the H2, so I'd suggest looking at some of these.

For ultimate simplicity, I'd be quite happy with a Fuji 6x9 with the 65mm lense.

I've used a Hasselblad V system, and various other MF film cameras (Fuji 6x9, and 6x17). Although I like the 6x6 format, I found the V-system heavy, clumsy and non-intuitive in operation, and I much preferred using a 4x5 Sinar. I currently use a Hasselblad H2; it's easy to carry, has highly accurate metering, can use both film & digital backs, and is well-built. I think Mamiya, Phase One and Fuji have very similar cameras to the H2, so I'd suggest looking at some of these.

For ultimate simplicity, I'd be quite happy with a Fuji 6x9 with the 65mm lense.

Thanks, prices are starting to creep outside my budget!! - just sold my GSW690III !!!!

The SLR camera I most enjoyed photographing with was the Contax RX, which I bought '98 and used well into the late '00s.
It was an upgrade from the 167mt

Just picked one up last week! Looking forward to shooting with it. The build quality and mechanical precision is amazing. The shape and rubber covering reminds me a bit of the Nikon F4, but the weight is far more manageable.

I don’t usually use date backs, but since it had one as standard and it prints between the frames I figured I’d buy a battery and give it go. Unfortunately the two digit year code can only show numbers between 87 and 19. Out of luck in 2021! Shoddy programming.

Would love a Contax 645 but its not going to happen at current prices.

I used to have a Bronica ETRS system and like it, plus it was also quite cheap compared to other equivalent systems. I didn't keep if for long as most of my kit is Pentax and I ended up getting a Pentax 645 system instead however while the Pentax lends itself to being used much like a big SLR there were things I liked more about the ETRS set-up e.g. the interchangeable backs and finders. I wish I still had that setup in fact as I had wide, medium and portrait lenses, waist and metering viewfinder finders and 120 and polaroid backs and it was cheap (if I recall correctly I got all that when I lived in Hong Kong).

I always fancied a Pentax 645. All my 35mm cameras were Pentax.

I bought a perfect Pentax 645n last year in Japan, and I love it. It's just like using a big SLR - auto-wind, auto focus and (very accurate) electronic metering/exposure. You get 16 shots to a roll too.

Unfortunately I knocked the speed dial off, and lost it, apparently a common weakness, and you can no longer get a replacement. Fortunately it was set to (AP) auto at the time, and you have the usual override as well as being able to spot meter and hold, but long-exposure (and full manual) is off the menu at the moment.

Exposure dial apart, the Pentax is apparently far more robust than the Contax. I've read that the latter need a lot of tlc.

No interchangeable back, of course, so no interest to the op.

I used a Bronica SQ-A and then a SQ-Ai from the mid 80's until I got my Hasselblad in 2009 (not really through any dissatisfaction with the Bronica).
Never had any issues with either (apart from flat batteries a couple of times), used mine with the speed grip and ended up with 50mm,80mm, 135mm,150mm and 250mm lenses and several backs. There was a point when 2nd hand prices for them really dropped and I had a buying spree. I loved the 135mm for portraits. Sold the lot to a friend.
Personally I find the square format suits me - I have a RZ but that gets used infrequently ( and weighs a ton)
Bronica also used to do 645 and 35mm panoramic backs as well.

Also it had a nice bright viewfinder. First time I tried a Hasselblad (in 1988) in Trevor Leighton's studio, I was amazed by how dingy the screen was in comparison.

Well I've just purchased from @JensenHealey , an SQ-A, 50/80/150 lens, two 120 backs and an assortment of bits. Got it home, given everything a good clean, all works as it should do, a test roll has been put through (will get that developed tomorrow) - as a precaution I'm going to replace the seals in the backs, as one of them is showing signs of deterioration, but still is intact. I'm very pleased :) and can't wait to use it in anger!

As @mentalp says, the viewfinder is bright, it makes you fall in love with the scene before you've pressed the shutter button :D

advertisement

Back