advertisement

Alice Coltrane

I've been playing the newly released Alice Coltrane CD pretty much on repeat this week.

I think I have most of her official releases but time to fill the gaps. I came to her music a little late. I had tickets to see her perform in London in 2007 but she passed away a few months before the concert.

For someone who led such an incredible life it seems an incredible oversight that no one has written her biography. Where can I read more about Alice?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've just realised today is Alice's birthday!

This 15 min documentary on Alice from 1970 is great: https://nmaahc.si.edu/object/nmaahc_2012.79.1.16.1a

I love the opening sequence of her arriving home in the E-Type.

3lz1Kln.jpg

I hear Alice Coltrane tracks on 6 music now and again and always think I must have a proper listen.

She seems like an interesting artist.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've been playing the newly released Alice Coltrane CD pretty much on repeat this week.

I think I have most of her official releases but time to fill the gaps. I came to her music a little late. I had tickets to see her perform in London in 2007 but she passed away a few months before the concert.

For someone who led such an incredible life it seems an incredible oversight that no one has written her biography. Where can I read more about Alice?

Thanks for this post. I've been streaming Kirtan: Turiya Sings a lot in the last couple of week after reading it and have gone back into the Alice Coltrane recordings I have on the shelf ( Currently only CDs of Ptah and Satchidananda).

Can someone guide essential further listening - there's a lot to explore here.

I've always found her own music almost completely unlistenable. I might revisit, it's been a few years.

I really like Alice Coltrane. She is frequently unfairly viewed and overlooked due to her husband’s career, but her work has proven hugely influential IMO paving the way for a lot of stuff outside the conventional jazz field. I hear echos in Amon Düül etc and a lot of more recent drone/ambient stuff along with a fair bit of soul-jazz. You can’t listen to much modern stuff such as Emma Jean Thackray, Makaya McCraven, Damian Locks Black Monument Ensemble, Miasha etc without hearing a little Alice in the mix. I’d love to see Acoustic Sounds properly issue some of her Impulse albums.

She was an absolute genius, in my view, and a huge influence - Matthew Halsall, for one, is indebted to the music she created.
My single favourite jazz track of all:

The Journey album already mentioned, Ptah the El Daoud, and A Monastic Trio, rank as three of my all-time favourite jazz albums.

Indeed, I picked the Craft/Jazz Dispensary reissue of that up a while back and it is excellent. Must dig it out for another spin.

One to get lost in...

61-FAF10-B-9993-42-C4-AA6-F-123-AE5-C8-DC61.jpg

The closing track, ‘Earth’, is on some other level.

That is a great album, indeed. She's an integral part of many albums I love, but I'm mostly completely indifferent to the records she leads on.

I'm a big Yoko fan, mind.

advertisement

Back