advertisement

Devailet Phantom gen 1 Lifetime

Reenberg

pfm Member
Dear all

I was the happy owner for a pair of Devialet Phantom White ( the first generation )

Devialet changed to a new OS systems some years ago, and the 1. gen. products was not able to update to this.
Until recently they where still working with Tidal and local radio, but now Tidal disaperad, and most of the local radios too.

Devialet claims that they don't service the old app any more, and that's how it is. It is still possible to add another streamer to the devialet system (eks. Bluenode) via the optical input and then keep the speakers playing, but that is a bit clumsy way to hear music.

Besides being quite disappointed of a lifetime of 7 years (they where not that cheap), and sad that see that a company like Devialet is that irresponsible to the environment (my more than 50 years old LEAK 20 is still playing), I would love to hear from other in same situation, and Wath they did ?

Maybe one can just change to Deezer/Spotify... Now where most of the streamers has seen the light with CD-quality streaming :D

Txs

Theis

Yeah, computer based audio hardware sucks with longevity.

Does Roon support your Phantoms? Not a cheap solution but might be an option.

There's a thread on this on Devialet chat - a workround using Mconnect and UPnP
DGP

Yeah, computer based audio hardware sucks with longevity.

Does Roon support your Phantoms? Not a cheap solution but might be an option.
Linn’s first streamers from 2007 are still fully supported, and are far more full featured and capable than they were when they were new, including room correction, all made possible with flexible hardware and firmware updates.

Devialet can get screwed though, they make expensive, unserviceable products and now it seems they’re deliberately making them obsolete. I’d accept newer features/services not being added after a few years, but removing them is utterly unacceptable.

Linn’s first streamers from 2007 are still fully supported, and are far more full featured and capable than they were when they were new, including room correction, all made possible with flexible hardware and firmware updates.

Devialet can get screwed though, they make expensive, unserviceable products and now it seems they’re deliberately making them obsolete. I’d accept newer features/services not being added after a few years, but removing them is utterly unacceptable.
Ouch ! $$$$$

If they have optical input then absolutely you can add Bluesound Node and that's that. Simple and relatively inexpensive solution.

That looks like it, well said. The Devialet Phantom are wireless speakers with support for streaming services. Similarly, I would accept the possibility of products with streaming capabilities becoming obsolete when new features or services are added in the future. Some companies (such as Linn which was cited) do better than others in providing continuous support for these streaming devices. However, based on the OP's post it does appear that Devialet is deliberately making the products obsolete which in my view is a disservice to existing customers or owners. One can just imagine the principles or ethics that the company is built on if they can resort to such practice.

Having said that, to get more than 5 years from a streaming product is not too bad considering that the features or services get updated or added from time to time. If lucky, one would get better support or a longer product lifespan from select (good) companies.

This does sound bad. It is the same with some Apple products and even Sonos, who had to correct their mistake after customer complaints. Squeezebox products are still maintained by a Logitech engineer after years old discontinuation. I bought a Squeezebox Radio recently and was able to update it with a new Community firmware which is remarkable really. Despite their abandonment of the products Logitech we’re still gracious enough to lend an engineer to maintain and improve software and hardware.

Having said that, to get more than 5 years from a streaming product is not too bad considering that the features or services get updated or added from time to time.

I disagree. They are a £2k+ per unit largely unserviceable lump of planetary resources that compete in a mature marketplace of classic audio much of which that has a proven service lifespan of half a century or more. We are on the verge of climate collapse, there really is no excuse for a modern producer not to have a credible green strategy. It’s actually one of the easiest ways of sorting quality design from vacuous marketing shite IMHO.

Do streaming right and the only thing that can ever possibly become obsolete is a tiny SBC such as a Raspberry Pi or an Airport Express. The rest of the system is all mature and long-term serviceable technology. As an example Lordsummit came round at the weekend and wanted to play me a few bits and bobs from Qobuz via his iPhone. I have an elderly Airport Express (the plug type, certainly far older than these Phantoms) hooked up to my 12 year old Dac and it all sounded great through my vintage Verdier/Quad 303 and Tannoy speakers (the later two being more than 50 years old and still going strong!).

Streaming is extremely energy inefficient and as some here seem concerned about climate change, perhaps having streaming hardware deliberately fail by, say 2030, would be a good thing. Just saying.

CHE

I disagree. They are a £2k+ per unit largely unserviceable lump of planetary resources that compete in a mature marketplace of classic audio much of which that has a proven service lifespan of half a century or more. We are on the verge of climate collapse, there really is no excuse for a modern producer not to have a credible green strategy. It’s actually one of the easiest ways of sorting quality design from vacuous marketing shite IMHO.

Do streaming right and the only thing that can ever possibly become obsolete is a tiny SBC such as a Raspberry Pi or an Airport Express. The rest of the system is all mature and long-term serviceable technology. As an example Lordsummit came round at the weekend and wanted to play me a few bits and bobs from Qobuz via his iPhone. I have an elderly Airport Express (the plug type), certainly far older than these Phantoms hooked up to my 12 year old Dac and it all sounded great through my vintage Verdier/Quad 303 and Tannoy speakers (the later two being more than 50 years old and still going strong!).

I'd go further - get a device capable of upnp streaming, and hopefully it'll never go obsolete. I hope not, anyway, once I've dotted the i's and crossed the t's on this system I'm planning on doing bugger all to it for as long as possible, time to sit back and enjoy the music (and video).

That looks like it, well said. The Devialet Phantom are wireless speakers with support for streaming services. Similarly, I would accept the possibility of products with streaming capabilities becoming obsolete when new features or services are added in the future. Some companies (such as Linn which was cited) do better than others in providing continuous support for these streaming devices. However, based on the OP's post it does appear that Devialet is deliberately making the products obsolete which in my view is a disservice to existing customers or owners. One can just imagine the principles or ethics that the company is built on if they can resort to such practice.

Having said that, to get more than 5 years from a streaming product is not too bad considering that the features or services get updated or added from time to time. If lucky, one would get better support or a longer product lifespan from select (good) companies.

Its VERY bad IMO

I hope this issue counts for a minority of streaming products.
Those who pays premium for lifetime of 5 years only, must be silly annoyed afterwards

IMO that would be the time to go back to an existing format. I don't think there is anything more frustrating than when a manufacturer forces obsolescence on to its customers in a manner such as this. Like when Apple deliberately slowed down the operation of its iPhones to make you buy a new one. That is unforgivable in my eyes...

Hi-Fi used to last decades and now we're told its down to a few years. No wonder the planet is suffering...

I'd go further - get a device capable of upnp streaming, and hopefully it'll never go obsolete. I hope not, anyway, once I've dotted the i's and crossed the t's on this system I'm planning on doing bugger all to it for as long as possible, time to sit back and enjoy the music (and video).

The life of my 11 year old UPnP streamer, a Naim NDS, has been extended by adding Roon and bridge software that makes it look like a Roon-enabled LMS endpoint. Works very well!

Just traded them in for a new pair (gen 2) for 1300 pound. Devialet also offered me a gen 1 pair ( but the newer version) for 640 pound.
All in all I think it's fair. I must admit that I used them a lot. (much more than the big setup with tubeamps and electrostat's)

Just traded them in for a new pair (gen 2) for 1300 pound. Devialet also offered me a gen 1 pair ( but the newer version) for 640 pound.
All in all I think it's fair. I must admit that I used them a lot. (much more than the big setup with tubeamps and electrostat's)

£640 for a pair of Gen 1 is a great deal, since your OP I have found the Wiim Mini streamer that for £89 would make a great package.

advertisement

Back