advertisement

Dynavector P75/AT33EN & RTFM

cooky1257

pfm Member
I've recently purchased the above through this site and despite much VTA and cartridge alignment fettling, stripped the LP12 down, re did the arm cable, set the bounce- everything really but the combo still left me a bit dissatisfied with some aspects of the sound- mainly a thin and distant midrange and slight veil of grain over everything......
The P75 arrived set up for DrT 'enhanced' mode and so I assumed this was as good as I was going to get but frustrated I decided to open up the P75 and check everything was as it should be. It was at this stage I decided I should maybe read the manual. There was nothing amiss and all the links 'looked' to be properly seated and set for the cartridge low impedance 5-10 ohm position, the AT spec says it's 10 ohms and is on the cusp of the low/ medium settings so just out of curiosity I swapped the links to the medium 10-20 ohm position.
This change has transformed the sound into something I'm very happy with, deeper cleaner multi layered bass, more space, mids are now more forward an have solidity and weight, soundstage is deep and wide and the grain has gone, blown away by the improvement.

As I understand it these DrT settings alter the gain but I wondered if there's more going on here, it's a completely different sound?

Have you tried setting it back? I suppose moving the links could have wiped the contacts to get a better link? Unlikely if they are decently gold plated but possible otherwise.

EDIT: I went to check the spec on AT33EN but can't find any such, AT33EV perhaps?

Last edited:
Have you tried setting it back? I suppose moving the links could have wiped the contacts to get a better link? Unlikely if they are decently gold plated but possible otherwise.

EDIT: I went to check the spec on AT33EN but can't find any such, AT33EV perhaps?
Yes typo. AT33EV.
I'm not short of available gain in my Mark Levinson 38S preamp and didn't need any extra output from the P75, everything looks spotless/ mint so can't see it as a dirty pin thing on both channels, either way I've gone from meh to wayhey!

Odd that a it is such a big change but hey, if it works for you, that is cool.
Yeah I know, I suppose the other possibility that the original set up wasn't as it seemed...I'm sufficiently intrigued now to have another look and swap em back to the low level setting as you originally mentioned.

Hi, My understanding is that the ''Trans mode'' somehow uses the carts current output, whereas standard phono setting use the signal. Another huge upgrade with the P75 I found was to dump the P/S & use a battery.
Also although you do not advise your tonearm, if you are using a Linn arm, then their arms a not very suitable for carts like the AT33. The Linn arms generally have a Eff Mass of around 10 to 13 grams, whereas the AT33 need an arm with an Eff Mass o 18 to 13 grams. They will work together however generally you loose base depth & a little slam.

Cheers

Hi, My understanding is that the ''Trans mode'' somehow uses the carts current output, whereas standard phono setting use the signal. Another huge upgrade with the P75 I found was to dump the P/S & use a battery.
Also although you do not advise your tonearm, if you are using a Linn arm, then their arms a not very suitable for carts like the AT33. The Linn arms generally have a Eff Mass of around 10 to 13 grams, whereas the AT33 need an arm with an Eff Mass o 18 to 13 grams. They will work together however generally you loose base depth & a little slam.

Cheers
From Dynavector (P-75, all versions):
"The P-75 has a unique power supply that runs at over 1/4MHz. It takes the low grade single voltage DC supply from the ac adapter and converts it to the dual high voltages required for true professional quality audio reproduction. The operating frequency is over 12 times higher than the top of the audio band and it incorporates super low noise wideband regulators in its output stage to give ultra low noise supply rails.

The internal P-75 power supply is totally self contained and stores many times the maximum possible energy requirements for the phono amplifiers. This means that the quality or size of the external ac adaptor is irrelevant. Increasing the capacity of the external supply will make no difference to the quality of the sound."

advertisement

Back