advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is coming up for 2 bloody years of Covid. Every day could be viewed as a special occasion... plus it is Saturday. I don't care if MrsW insists on fish tonight I'm opening Ridge Geyserville 2013 :)

I was sent this flyer by Eurotunnel last night. It was related to Carrefour Cité Europe, who have apparently signed up to this scheme. I have to say it was news to me, but if I’ve read it properly, under certain conditions you can claim VAT back on wine and beer bought in the EU from participating outlets that you have carried back yourself. Which presumably means you can get an extra 19% or so discount on your allowance, or alternatively bring back as much as you want and once you have paid UK VAT at customs you are only down by the £2.70 or so duty (£2.23+VAT) on every bottle. And if it also works with the Belgian beer outlets that I have been known to frequent, well, I might even be the first person to post on the ‘Brexit - give me a positive effect’ thread with an answer!

Good to know of discounts/tax savings given all the chat about a forthcoming Christmas Wine shortage.
( no link but in today's papers )
Any excuse to buy more wine!
Tonight's Brunello de Montalcino Capanna 2016 is rather delightful.

I’m as implacably opposed to Brexit as anyone, but I can’t see any point in endlessly whingeing about it as it won’t be reversed - at the very least not in my lifetime. So I’d rather put two fingers up to those that promoted and voted for it, boycott Brexiteer businesses and in the meantime squeeze out any small plusses from it that I can.

The conditions seem to be mainly spending 100€ minimum in one transaction, not buying more than 15 of anything (my beer warehouse calls 24 bottles of Rochefort ‘one crate’ so that should be OK, I’ll only be buying five things) and getting the paperwork right (having juggled the necessary forms and tests for entering and leaving France in July that should be trivial.)

51425528995_7cfd8a203f_z.jpg

Tonight’s bottle is courtesy of the Young And Exciting Julien Sunier. Beautiful fresh-tasting stuff, and (as I think I said about something from JP Brun) not what I was expecting from a bottle of Gamay at all. Really good.

It’s Hanns Eisler night tonight. Following Historische Ausnahmen (Solidarity Song has such a fantastic sing-along melody, knocks The Red Flag and The Internationale into a cocked hat) I’ve now moved on to The Hollywood Songbook. An Eine Stadt is another tune to die for, but Hanns, I have to say I don’t think it will end well...

Last edited:
Back to an old favourite Coudoulet 2016 this evening. Give it 2 hours of air IMO.
With a home made burger. Does that make it a burger wine ?
Had a google around and the '16 looks sold out. The '18 seems significantly up at £26/27.

Last edited:
Back to an old favourite Coudoulet 2016 this evening. Give it 2 hours of air IMO.
With a home made burger. Does that make it a burger wine ?
Had a google around and the '16 looks sold out. The '18 seems significantly up at £26/27.
2016 around £22.50/bottle at J&B after postage
2018 around £17.50/bottle at Uncorked after postage (still EP price)

Both for a case.

2016 around £22.50/bottle at J&B after postage
2018 around £17.50/bottle at Uncorked after postage (still EP price)

Both for a case.

Thanks MB: you are better than Wine-searcher ! If I didn't have quite a few more 2016 I would be tempted. Delivery is 15 days so wonder where they are coming from...

51440662311_d72a1ffca1_z.jpg

Alain Voge Saint-Joseph 2014. I bought this on a whim as L&W were offering it to me at 10% off (£13.50 IB) as compensation for removing my 10% Majestic discount. Bastards. I’d been bowled over by Saint Cosme 2015 SJ and thought it would be a good idea to try an equally prestigious name from a lesser (albeit not bad) vintage. It wasn’t, really. Although perfectly fine, it was less fruity, less weighty and generally just less than the SC. Oh well. I think it was Aristotle who said ‘you gotta find out for yourself and be prepared to screw up sometimes, or you’ll end up only buying Jeb Bloody Dunnock’s 92++ point recommendations.’ Naturally I’m paraphrasing, my Ancient Greek is a bit rusty.

I paired this with Centipede’s Septober Energy, which I hadn’t played for years and couldn’t remember. I know why now, that was a bit ‘meh’ too.

I may have a punt.... Meanwhile this popped up in my mailbox.
https://mailchi.mp/056cd56305c4/2018-beaucastel-legend-of-the-wine-world?e=29b7517385 2018 Châteauneuf-du-Pape
Château de Beaucastel £55 a bottle - was £67
I passed on the 2018 Beaucastel - there were big problems with mildew wiping out the Grenache crop, and the resulting blend was somewhat unusual. Whether I should have let that concern me, I’ll let those with more knowledge say. But it was written up well, and that’s a good price - EP or close to.

(I do have some 2018 Coudoulet though!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back