advertisement

New Mc cartridge

I can see how 1. could be an issue, though not a problem on either arm I've used, Funk FX3 & Brinkmann.

Point 2? I know two happy 500 owners, not heard the 2, 3 or 500 myself but patently untrue as regards the PP2000. This Misnomer appears to have spread from Fremer's review when comparing to Atlas and Anna D, others I know who've heard (and like) all three have suggested the latter two may over-egg through the bass by comparison. Each to their own

My point is there are much better cartridges available that do most of it right and also fit on all tonearms. I had some dealings with Phasemation and a turntable manufacturer a few years back. The cartridges were all returned to Phasemation because of too many incompatibility issues...

Well I have my new Kleos installed and it’s running in nicely.So far ,it’s sounds just what I was after,great dynamics,detail and soundstage.I have about 10 hours on it so I expect it to get even better.Thanks for all the comments and advice.

:D

Well, I have my new Kleos installed and it's running in nicely so far; it sounds just what I was after; great dynamics, detail and soundstage. I have about 10 hours on it so I expect it to get even better. for all the comments and advice.

Good choice; should keep you going for years as Lyra styli etc. are long-lasting. Make sure VTF is close to recommended max (1.75 ????) and maybe ease off a fraction after a couple of hundred hours. The ones my friend and I had/have prefer about 400+ R but that does depend upon the s/s ph,/stage. Anyway, tune to taste when run in (30+ hours?)
`

My kandid is four years old and was beginning to sound a little rough.

ten mins on the AT637 and it’s back to sounding like new.

My Kandid is four years old and was beginning to sound a little rough.

Ten mins on the AT637 and it’s back to sounding like new.

I'm a bit surprised that you couldn't see what was impairing playback, David. If the 637 sorted it, there must have been visible fluff/gunk/whatever on the stylus. I.m.e., once gunk/crud has baked on, only liquid, loupe and brush can properly clean it. Easy with a detachable h/shell, a p.i.t..a. if fixed, as all mine have been. Maybe you wetted the 637 pad.

My kandid is four years old and was beginning to sound a little rough.

ten mins on the AT637 and it’s back to sounding like new.
Ten minutes? I'm interested as I have a 637 and go for 30 seconds and no more - which is probably just impatience. Do you sit there and watch it, in case it pops off or the platter moves; if you even do it on the platter? Do you find a more prolonged session moves some of the more baked on crud?

Thanks, Myles

I use an SC2 brush as my day to day stylus cleaner and nano gel to remove fluff n stuff

the 637 only gets used every few months and I use elixir cleaner on the pad.

my eyesight isn’t up to seeing anything more than a beard forming.

ive never had the platter or stylus wander during cleaning. It was probably 5-6 mins rather than ten , but defo not just 30 secs.

Thanks , but I personally think buying a used cartridge is like buying used tyres for your car,you never fully know the condition and it’s a big risk. I’m looking for something that will last me a good while and prefer to have the peace of mind by purchasing a new one, but it was very kind of you to post the link so thank you for the heads up.

PM me If anyone is interested in my <50 hours Cadenza Bronze as I’m looking to sell it.

ok, so how much tread is left on this tyre!

the 637 ...... was probably (used) 5-6 mins rather than ten , but defo not just 30 secs.

I've had and occasionally used a 637 for many years, but I've never known what A.T. advised for its duration of operation. I've tended to the sub one minute time; maybe repeating in another spot on the pad for another 30 sec's or so.

Does anybody know what the recommendations are? 5 to 6 minutes seems excessive to me, but this is pure conjecture and you may be nearer the optimum.

95% according to Ortofon's website:p

Hope so - I bought it. I wouldn't buy used tyres though, even off NEWGUY;)

Jim
Don’t get me started on Tyres....seems there’s a shortage of new tyres and I can’t get a set of front Michelin’s to match my rears I just fitted !

I've had and occasionally used a 637 for many years, but I've never known what A.T. advised for its duration of operation. I've tended to the sub one minute time; maybe repeating in another spot on the pad for another 30 sec's or so.

Does anybody know what the recommendations are? 5 to 6 minutes seems excessive to me, but this is pure conjecture and you may be nearer the optimum.
According to the enclosed instructions on my NOS AT637, from which I quote:

(5) Recommended cleaning time is 5 to 20 seconds; time should be determined by the actual condition of the stylus. While in use, DO NOT allow the platter to move while the stylus is in contact with the cleaner.

Seems clear enough. I use mine dry for 5-10 seconds after three or four slabs of RCM-cleaned vinyl. A teeny drop of Lyra SPT might be needed after 50-60 slabs, and then I leave it to vibrate for maybe 20 seconds.

I use mine dry for 5-10 seconds after three or four slabs of RCM-cleaned vinyl. A teeny drop of Lyra SPT might be needed after 50-60 slabs, and then I leave it to vibrate for maybe 20 seconds.

Thanks for the official recommendations, James; more or less what I guessed; well, less, truth be told, but I can't think damage can occur to the stylus/canti; possibly the cleaner itself though.

I rarely use it, as the stylus on my Proteus seems to be the best I've had at NOT picking up crud (again, from RCM -cleaned records). Previous Koetsus and Lyras were okay in this respect, though well behind the Transfig. The Benz (Ebony LP) did need more attention, but this stylus is only glued, not crimped.

The idea that the residue accumulated whilst playing records for hours can be removed in 10secs seems to me counterintuitive.

All I can say is that there was a definite and massive improvement for giving it a more lengthy clean.

It's all well and good to keep the stylus clean, but the canti. accumulate quite a coating of dust (etc?). This must affect the compliance to some degree. The only way I've ever addressed this is by a quality paint brush, slightly wetted, and loupe. This done at the same time as a thorough check and clean up of the stylus, which for me (fixed headshells always) means only doing this when changing cart's for one reason or another; too tricky in situ.

advertisement

Back