advertisement

Whose stupid idea was Tier E-Scooters?

Walking along a tube platform this afternoon as an E Scooter went past at full tilt. Bonkers.
I'm not a fan but see that there are sections of the cycling community who take the view that they less of a problem than the large polluting cars that a scooter rider may otherwise choose to ride.

Surely they are banned on the tube?

In an ideal world I would like to see city centres devoid of cars with dedicated cycling infrastructure which can be shared with other vulnerable road users. More space for walking, less pollution with some nice open plazas where you can sit down & have a drink.

It is possible & I see our towns & cities having more space for leisure & less for retail. We often aspire to be more continental but refuse to take the necessary steps to get there.

It's awesome that cars have safety features, but when they play the "let's see how close we can pass the cyclist at 120km/h" game I don't feel very safe at all. It's often expensive German cars that play this game so I'm guessing it's not just teenagers.

I spent quite a few years on skateboards and Rollerblades in a hilly city and apart from losing quite a few patches of skin, none of my mates suffered any serious injuries. I wish I could say that of my car and motorbike friends.

All white van and Audi drivers are homicidal maniacs: I know this as a fact by extrapolating the few encounters I have had with them....

I was driving on a 30MPH dual carriageway the other day. There was an E-scooter in the LH lane. I thought I would need to change lanes to overtake, but realised it was doing 25 to 30 MPH.

The next day I saw a guy on an E-bike sort of thing. He was riding on the pavement and crossing (carefully) a dual carriageway at a pedestrian crossing. He had a young girl on a mini E-bike with him, she looked about 6 years old. His bike had footpegs, no pedals and looked like a small motocross bike. I don't think the girl's bike had pedals either.

Seems like a free for all.

Interesting vid.

I agree that cars have/had far too high a share of the space between buildings.
High density and speed of motorised vehicles leads to unappealing places - as demonstrated by Tiggers' linked vid :eek:. Of course an E-scooter is a sort of motorised vehicle, but it's on a more human scale.

My policy is generally to avoid over-populated and over-congested places.

Interesting vid.

I agree that cars have/had far too high a share of the space between buildings.
High density and speed of motorised vehicles leads to unappealing places - as demonstrated by Tiggers' linked vid :eek:. Of course an E-scooter is a sort of motorised vehicle, but it's on a more human scale.

My policy is generally to avoid over-populated and over-congested places.
Unfortunately it is proving impossible to avoid overpopulated areas, ever been to the Peak District on a weekend?

Theoretically we should be able to have more control over how cities are designed, make them friendlier to active & low impact forms of travel. Whatever happens the powerful motoring lobby will object to any infrastructure project which leaves less room for cars.

advertisement

Back