advertisement

Is it time?

I may have heard that, or something similar somewhere else. Anyhow, kindness is a thing now. A chap at some university or other is researching it, both the giving and receiving thereof and our reactions to it.

Paradoxically you gotta be cruel to be kind; converted me for sure.

I bet after many years of expensive research they conclude that in the right measure, it’s a very good sign.

I really don’t mind it, they even have non-religious content. Rarely catch it these days but hardly worth getting upset about is it?

Upset, no, mildly annoyed, yes. As Anthony Trollope wrote:

'There is nothing perhaps so generally consoling to a man as a well-established grievance; a feeling of having been injured, on which his mind can brood from hour to hour, allowing him to plead his own cause in his own court, within his own heart, and always to plead it successfully.'

'There is nothing perhaps so generally consoling to a man as a well-established grievance; a feeling of having been injured, on which his mind can brood from hour to hour, allowing him to plead his own cause in his own court, within his own heart, and always to plead it successfully.'
A jolly good case for leaving it be then?

Is this your thought for the day?

Any piece of public service broadcasting which says "Jesus said..." without challenge should be removed. Same goes for contributions from other religions.

The fact that we're the only country which mandates a daily act of christian worship in its schools and one of only two with clerics permanently within its legislature demonstrates how much growing up we have still to do.

I want it to still be last Tuesday.
There was more to look forward to.

Is this your thought for the day?

No, it was Trollope's thought for the day. Which reminds me of an old Punch cartoon of a man and woman at a museum, looking at some stuffed birds.

Woman: That's not my idea of a guillemot.

Man: It's God's idea of a guillemot.

advertisement

Back