advertisement

Diasabling the fan on a Synology containing only SSDs

4 days 19 hours running in its box and the NAS is still running at normal internal temperature according to the info centre.

I replaced the fans in my Synology Ds415+ with ultra quiet ones. That way I cannot hear them. I’d include a link but I cannot recall which model I bought and have no great wish to take the NAS apart to find out. I also replaced the fan in my UPS with a quiet one.

Temporary fix which might become permanent or serve as the design for permanent.

One white IKEA Eket single cube (25x35x35) two pieces (36x36cm and 31.5x31.5 cm)of 15mm plywood and some black paint.

I made a tight-fitting lid from the two squares of plywood - slightly larger top piece so I have something to pull on. I've drilled a 2cm hole in the rear of the Eket for cables and symbolic air-flow.

So far, after 3 hours of music, the NAS monitor is displaying temp as "normal" with the fan set to "calm" and I have to get seriously near to hear the @&é"' fan.

I wanted to keep the Synology 420+ rather than get a QNAP hs 453 dx because I feel it is better suited to my storage needs. At the speed I'm acquiring albums I will soon fill the 1.1Tb left on the SSD.
The Synology 420+ NAS has been running for more than 14 days confined in its box with only a 20mm dia hole for air circulation (actually made to pass the cables) and its DSM NAS management app is still displaying internal temperature as "normal".

That’s absolutely fine then. You have zero issues with ventilation or heat IMHO. Plus it’ll keep the internals of the NAS reasonably dust free.

Update

Acceptably quiet :)

I got fed up with he noise and ordered some quieter fans since my NAS is now out of guarantee. Even with my poor sight and double checking everything it took around an hour to take the DS 420+ apart, remove the old fans and insert the new ones.
I used the "ultra low noise" adaptor cables in the box and now have a NAS which no longer has a vibrating case and emits very little noise from the fans - when the box I've confined it to is closed the Synology is inaudible at 2am at 2m :)

I used two NOCTUA NF-A9 FLX (around 20€ each from amazon)

I found a useful video on youtube - it's about doing the same on a Synology DS 920+ but I could not see any differences between it and mine. Unlike this guy, I was patient enough to be able to re-attach the plastic clips without removing the silicon noise-reducing insert from the corner of the Noctua fans. The silicon screw replacements Noctua provide were just too fiddly in the confined space of my NAS, so I used the screws.

If you look at the sinology.co.uk spare parts page you will find a list of NAS that use the Synology 92*92*25_1 fan like my DS 420+ does.

PS
SSD temperatures seem to be unchanged compared to before the mod - 37-38°C for the 4To models containing the music.
On this normally hot late summer day with the NAS in its closed enclosure.

Looks like you'll be fine then. SSDs aren't actively cooled inside the close quarters of a laptop for example, at best they'll have a thermal pad with a flimsy bit of metal across. They can quiet safely take a bit of heat, most are self monitoring and will throttle if temps get too high. You'll loose some performance till it cools down that's about it.

My silent solution.. plugged into the Roon Rock NUC core, with NAS and hard discs for back-up. Works a treat.

IMG-8734.jpg

advertisement

Back