advertisement

KitchenAid Coffee Grinder 'Smoky'

snowflake

Former Albino Ape
Folks,

Got a kitchen aid grinder, hasn't been used a lot (casual domestic use). However whilst it runs OK, it has taken to spitting out a modest plume of blue smoke from the vents at the back, and the motor has that smell you dads black and decker drill had when the brushes were going in the 70's.

Do 'they all do that love', or do I need a CO2 extinguisher to hand as I grind my beans (matron...)

Anyone??

S

I used to have a kitchen aid artisan grinder and it was the same, every so often I’d have to strip the motor from the shell and clean the armature and brushes. It eventually went “bang” and gave up the ghost which I was thankful for as the grind consistency left a lot to be desired - no motor spares available at all from kitchen aid which is ****ing piss poor, bought a sage grinder pro to replace it and it’s been faultless for the previous 5+ years of daily use.

Hence why I asked on here, Kitchenaid info/service infro is scant on the interweb......got a link to the sage grinder pro, or would a google of those three words bear fruit :)

S

Google of sage grinder pro bears fruit, but many fruits.....got a specific model??

I use a Krups f203 for coffee and curry spices. It's great and cheap and you can buy plastic tops when they finally get broken beyond use by cinnamon bark.

Maybe your grinder is just trying to communicate with your coffee machine to get the grain size just right, smoke signals etc.

https://coffeeblog.co.uk/sage-smart-grinder-pro-review-3/ this one here, it’s coming up to Amazon Black Friday so hold out and you can get them for under £150 in the prime deals

My sage grinder has ground at least 3 double espressos a day for the previous 5 years (1kg of beans every 3weeks usually) and the only maintenance has been to clean the burrs every so often when I remember, very simple to do.

Never ever ever try and speak to Kitchen Aid’s service people. They are based in Belgium and Whirlpool do their UK repairs and servicing.
They are completely incompetent. It would take me an hour to type the experience we had with trying to get a Kitchen Aid mixer repaired, suffice it to say that I sent it back to Whirlpool and they said it was the coil and armature and they couldn’t source the parts and they could dispose of it or return it to me. On its return, I am absolutely sure they had never taken it apart. On doing so, I found the shear cog had sheared and it cost me less than £15 to repair.
Whirlpool are thieves, Kitchen Aid hopeless, and their chief exec didn’t give a toss.

I'm quite tempted by this but one thing puts me off -- no hopper. I like my grinder to hold 250g of beans -- the quantity in an Illy can.

The Iberital would seem to suit in that case. In the 15 years since I bought mine time hasn't stood still and they have improved it.

This was just a plain black knob back in the day.

I'm quite tempted by this but one thing puts me off -- no hopper. I like my grinder to hold 250g of beans -- the quantity in an Illy can.
But you wouldn’t really want to carry 250g of beans that you weren’t about to use on top of your manual grinder as you spun the handle round, would you? Or have I fallen for your joke?

Kitchen Aid is a terrible brand. I had a blender once because they look so great. How well they work/last? Notoriously not so great.

As for electric grinders, I have had many but never found the holy grail (though never spent more than about £250). Both models of Baratza I had were great till (in very different ways) they weren't. Krups previously: ok but messy and boring. Gaggia broke almost immediately.

In handheld, got to be Porlex, surely? Classic.

Not the highest end, nor most adjustable, but my Rancilio Rocky doserless has been chugging along daily for the better part of 25 years; two new sets of grinding burrs in that time period. Easy to clean and maintain as well.

advertisement

Back