advertisement

Sony CDP-555ESD worth risking import duty from Germany

I've had a £1500 DAC from Germany that came without any VAT charges, and the same with a couple of shipments of expensive tennis racquets.

That's just luck. I wouldn't recommend anyone order items from outside the UK without expecting to pay VAT and potentially other charges.

As a further; the seller you bought from may have paid the VAT and charges in advance.

Import duty is a thing, I have been caught every time bringing stuff in from the UK to Ireland, expect to pay it.

Also, I wouldn't bother with the Sony CD player for another reason. It is probably 30+ years old and won't travel well. I went to buy a CD player from a German guy and when I went to pay via some payment mechanism that protected me far more than himself he wouldn't go through with the deal. He said he had shipped two CDPs recently and both were dead on arrival and he was forced to issue full refunds. I heard a similar story from another seller.

It's not a problem if the player is packed very well but.. it must be packed very well and that's the issue. Most people don't package them nearly well enough!!

I've bought several CD players from Germany over the years (pre Brexit) without a problem.

I've also received more than my fair share of players that have been packaged inadequately and consequently damaged in transit.

If you can talk to the seller and have confidence in their packaging that goes a long way.

Also, customs officers are free to open any parcels – and re-pack them up as poorly as possible…
Think about it.

The EU's VAT system was last updated in 1993 and has not kept pace with the rise in cross-border e-commerce that has transformed the retail sector in recent years. The Coronavirus pandemic has also further accelerated the boom in online retail, and again underlined the need for reform to ensure that the VAT due on online sales gets paid to the country of the consumer. The new rules also respond to the need to simplify life for shoppers and traders alike.

The new rules come into force on 1 July and will affect online sellers and marketplaces/platforms both inside and outside the EU, postal operators and couriers, customs and tax administrations, as well as consumers.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_3098

Blaming Brexit is far easier than trying to keep up with the UK and EU VAT system.

The new rules come into force on 1 July and will affect online sellers and marketplaces/platforms both inside and outside the EU, postal operators and couriers, customs and tax administrations, as well as consumers.

Trading with the EU much easier as member shock.

Silly but there you go. Politicians.
Worst part? The money is obviously not for the UK but for the country that imports the goods, bought or given away — yes, gifts are also taxed!
So we are actually punished by our own governments for buying from the UK!
Unbelievable and preposterous — what kind of a deal is that? How does that improve the British economy? Tell me please.

Destutt de Tracy, classic liberal: I an poor nation the people live a good life, in a rich nation the people is poor.

If you can talk to the seller and have confidence in their packaging that goes a long way.

Good point, my CDP 227 ESD had a 'transit bolt' (actually an orange plastic piece) to hold the laser sled in place during transit. I am not sure how much the magnetic sled mechs in these players move in transit without it. That said it survived my recent house move.

Good point, my CDP 227 ESD had a 'transit bolt' (actually an orange plastic piece) to hold the laser sled in place during transit. I am not sure how much the magnetic sled mechs in these players move in transit without it. That said it survived my recent house move.
In my experience the Sony mechs seem to survive well even if the laser isn't locked.

On the other hand, the version of the Philips CDM-1 as used in the Philips CD-960, Marantz CD94 and CD12 etc seems to get easily damaged if not locked (usually fixable though).

The CDM-9 often suffers from the disc turntable platter getting knocked down on the shaft but this is easily fixable.

It's worthwhile keeping drawer from opening with a bit of masking tape.

General knocks and bashes are a far more common issue than laser head damage.

Last edited:
In my experience the Sony mechs seem to survive well even if the laser isn't locked.

Yes, the Sony CDPs do seem to be very durable machines, on the other hand my slightly older and cheaper Philips CD-150 needed attention to its galvanometer mech driver, which definitely required a recap as what looked like a galvo damping circuit seemed to take quite a bit of stick. I decided to change all of the electrolytics in the machine at the same time and whilst I didn't test those that I removed the machine sounded fine before and after.

This CDP-103 did!

49647506266_8f66fb4715.jpg

advertisement

Back