advertisement

Kites - got any?

snowflake

Former Albino Ape
Well,

The detectorists are out and proud in another thread, do we have any kite flyers.

I haven't flown mine for years but the haul is:

Twin line stunt kite (delta wing shaped thingy)
Twin line flexifoil power kites, 5 and 8ft
4 line flexifoil power kite, bought with the intention of trying kite buggying.....which I never got round to, but have just reminded myself, its the risk of spending the cash and not being able to do it that puts me off :)

What you got stashed??

S

2.4 metre Sting Flexifoil and 3.5 metre Rage here (both 4 line) - been a while since I flew them but a great workout I found

When you get your kite out, how long do you do it for normally?

In the olden days (when I was fit) a couple of hours, you can only take so much dragging along the beach with a power kite. Stunt kite was much less exhausting so would also swap between the two.

S

I had one of these, not sue where it is now
DZQ3PZgV4AAKD4e

I have been a “stunt/sports” kite flyer for many years. Started way back, when Peter Powell was the popular choice, but I chose the Dunford “Flying Machine”.
Very occasional flying nowadays, perhaps once last year. Bag includes, as far as I recall;

2-line;
Highflyers Phantom
Fizz Kites Reflex
Top of The Line Hawaiian Team Chevron x 2 (flown stacked a few times)
?? 3-11 Sport
Chris Matheson mini-Sandpiper ultralight
Flying Wings Hornet
Flexifoil 6 foot
Flexifoil Buzz

4-line,
NASA NP5 power wing
Jim Rowlands Twister (first generation)

I must get out flying again sometime.......

Last edited:
Peter Powell, that brings back memories of flying mine in a storm age 12 ish and being dragged all over.
Got back into kites about 20yrs ago. Had a few Flexifoil blades, same size as Snowflake had. Big one was a joy to fly.
Still have about 8 delta stunt kites and 3 Revs. Hardly flown them and mastered none.
Really annoyed that I still can’t do the most basic stunts consistently.
That another hobby to re kindle in retirement, wife won’t be happy.
Any north east flyers?

always looked on in awe at kites being flown. Often wondered about getting into it.

Maybe is should an Olympic sport?

I have a number of 2 line kites all from the 90’s. I have a Top Of The Line Radical and a couple of others the names of which I cannot recall, one of which came from now-closed The Kite Store in Neal Street. I also have a 4 line Revolution and a small Flexifoil.

^ I'm hard core me - just a couple of single-line fighters/stunt kites (built by Martin Lawrence aka Merlin kites of Gwynedd back in the day).

Wonderful little things.

I have a number of 2 line kites all from the 90’s. I have a Top Of The Line Radical and a couple of others the names of which I cannot recall, one of which came from now-closed The Kite Store in Neal Street. I also have a 4 line Revolution and a small Flexifoil.

I think my stunt kite came from the kite store, on a visit to that London

S

Blades, bullets, a sting and about a dozen inflatable kitesurf kites and a 12m and 15m flysurfers.

advertisement

Back