advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is closely targeted to the most vulnerable, then perhaps. But if it is given to age cohorts below, say, 65, then I’m not sure that’s the right thing. AIUI the plan is for the over 50s to get a booster. Not sure the risk profile extends down that far, myself.

Two of those are my wife’s 90 year old parents, both homebound and double-jabbed and infected during a 30 minute visit by someone (also double-jabbed) who tested positive two days later. Both are quite unwell but refusing to go to hospital.

Rather brings home where we are in this pandemic.

Best wishes from me too. I hope they have a swift recovery back to full health.

Two of those are my wife’s 90 year old parents, both homebound and double-jabbed and infected during a 30 minute visit by someone (also double-jabbed) who tested positive two days later. Both are quite unwell but refusing to go to hospital.

Rather brings home where we are in this pandemic.
I really hope the vaccine does the job for your in-laws, as it did for my 94-year old father a few weeks ago. Best wishes for a good recovery.

Perhaps nasal boosters are a way out of the endless infection cycle ?

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih...sal-covid-19-vaccine-effective-animal-studies

• A nasal spray of the Oxford/AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine protected hamsters and monkeys against serious disease and reduced the amount of virus in the nose.
  • Less virus in the nasal passages could decrease the risk that vaccinated people spread the virus, even if they don’t feel sick.
  • A clinical trial is underway to test intranasal vaccination in people.

that clinical trial has been underway since last year I believe - fingers crossed it's successful?

It does look like the number of new cases is levelling out and may have reached its current daily rate peak.

After the first week of schools opening in Scotland the incidence of the disease rose by 0.1% more than in England (where schools remained closed.) 0.2% rise in Scotland. I have no idea if this is significant.

Increasing vaccination % is great but it does raise a really scary possibility that it will 'push' Covid mutations towards vaccine 'escape'.

After the first week of schools opening in Scotland the incidence of the disease rose by 0.1% more than in England (where schools remained closed.) 0.2% rise in Scotland. I have no idea if this is significant.

71 kids and 13 teachers tested positive for covid in my kids school (Scotland). Some of the teachers were double vaccinated and still got sick. This after only one week back.

71 kids and 13 teachers tested positive for covid in my kids school (Scotland). Some of the teachers were double vaccinated and still got sick. This after only one week back.

I think this is going to be the trend in England in September. No preventative measures whatsoever in schools and delta is a recipe for disaster. My partner has 3 kids all in secondary school and I cannot foresee any way she (and probably I) will not catch it from one of them without a large slice of luck.

I think this is going to be the trend in England in September. No preventative measures whatsoever in schools and delta is a recipe for disaster. My partner has 3 kids all in secondary school and I cannot foresee any way she (and probably I) will not catch it from one of them without a large slice of luck.

You almost certainly will catch it. Everyone will catch whichever variant is doing the rounds if they want to live any sort of ‘normal’ life. Vaccines are the best hope we have for reducing hospitalisation and death (aside from living as hermits, which is unrealistic). As previously said, we’ll have boosters every 6 - 12 months depending on levels of vulnerability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back