advertisement

Keilidhs Bi-Aktivated - Now What Source?

music_man_66

From not really listening to music on the living room hifi, I've gone and got rid of my Caspian integrated amp and gone bi-aktive with late Kairn, late Klout and late LK140 into my improve-tweeter Keilidhs. K400 all round and Chord Clearway RCA ICs throughout.

Sources are Musical Fidelity A3 CDP and recently bought a new Cambridge Audio CXN-v2 streamer. A3 is run through the CXN's DAC.

I'm really enjoying the aktive sound, having found it extremely harsh in the treble at switch-on - went in to Klout and found the treble pots at +4 and +7 - set them all to '0' and wow what a difference. Totally immersive. I've been listening to Guy Clark for 30 years, but now I hear the humour, depth and occasional rattle in his voice and it's so so much more of an involving acoustic experience. Accompanying cello and mandolin are just so delightful too. That's my example anyway, one that's very familiar to me that now sounds much better.

I'm wondering what source you guys would suggest that would take me that little bit deeper into the mix. This is a source-only question, I'm not ready to go tri or change speakers or anything like that. And I'm now fed up being inside speakers with a soldering iron and inside amps installing cards and tweaking settings.

A straight source swap that would slap me in the face and suck me in a wee bit more.

Thanks.

Y'know, I just went through a number of DACs and so I'll suggest what I wound up keeping: a Naim nDAC with a Pardo TXPS. I tried a Denafrips Terminator, Bryston BDA3.14, Benchmark DAC3, a Topping D90SE, and a couple of others in the past, including a Meridian 566 and others I'm not remembering.

So perhaps start with a nDAC.

Hi,

How about a second hand Linn Majik DS.

I have tried it against the Akurate DS and Klimax DS and there is not a huge difference, some will not agree, however it is Linn and should work well with your system.

Cheers

John

For CD, an Ikemi, it’s an aesthetic match with your LK kit but more importantly than that, it’s one of the best sounding CD players I’ve heard full stop… marginally bettered by an Akurate CD, the Rega ISIS and Linn CD12 a step up again, but at this level, the steps aren’t revolutionary, and after years of experience with countless machines, the Ikemi is the one where I’m completely satisfied, and feel no need to spend more… the CD tray is shared with the CD12 albeit anodised black rather than chrome, and that is a thing of beauty in itself

I’d look for a Klimax Renew DS for streaming, it’s a plain black box with no aesthetic charm whatsoever, but you really are in “why spend more?” territory there, and unlike a CD player, where you need to physically interact with the machine itself, it’s all controlled with a (very decent) app, you can hide it out of sight and just bask in the glorious sound it produces.

I have the above two digital sources in my LK active Ninka system… along with an Akuroksan LP12 (near Akurate spec but with a Roksan arm).

I’ve had much cheaper and much more expensive systems that I’ve enjoyed, but this system is the best bang for buck that I’ve owned.

For CD, an Ikemi..

Not arguing about the sound, I've never heard one, but is the Ikemi still serviceable? Linn are notoriously bad at supporting their older kit and tended to use obscure parts and assembly techniques that made aftermarket repair difficult.

LP12? No problem, it's a wooden box full of not much but getting old Linn electronics fixed? Mmmm.

It's the one thing that puts me off Linn electronics. Well, that and the fact I don't like the sound they make! ;0)

Shame you got the Kairn and CXN v2, I’ve just replaced my Wakonda with Selekt dsm as a pre amp and that has since been fitted with the Katalyst dac upgrade, I am using this with tri-amped keilidhs, this is a massive improvement over the original pre amp no mater what source is put through it. I did consider the Kairn as an alternative to the Wakonda but couldn’t find one at the time, and glad I couldn’t. I’m still using my mimik as cd source along with lp12, when funds permit I may update the cd to moon 260d t. Also there is the added bonus of the internet radio!

Did you get rid of your vinyl?
I bought vinyl through the 1970s, mostly punk and Paisley Underground. I was a teenager back then. I’m not ruling out bringing vinyl back before I leave this earth, holed up in a remote Hebridean cottage by the sea looking out towards St Kilda.
I didn’t have much vinyl to get rid of but there’s only so many house moves you can keep track of LPs like Unknown Pleasures and Inflammable Material.

Not arguing about the sound, I've never heard one, but is the Ikemi still serviceable? Linn are notoriously bad at supporting their older kit and tended to use obscure parts and assembly techniques that made aftermarket repair difficult.

LP12? No problem, it's a wooden box full of not much but getting old Linn electronics fixed? Mmmm.

It's the one thing that puts me off Linn electronics. Well, that and the fact I don't like the sound they make! ;0)
Yep, I service them!

I doubt you’d object to the sound of one either, it’s an astonishing sounding CD player!

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. bottom line is I’m not hearing anything bad after this major upgrade (for me). I’m now seduced.
Im not into mixing old and new. I kinda knew Ikemi was going to be a suggestion. Food for thought.
I suppose I really should return the Strymon Big Sky pedal I bought last week. Not used it yet and it would free up £450 right away. Also got some nice dough coming from eBay over the next cpla weeks. I love the CXN and get a lovely sound from the streaming and then I go buy CDs but…. who knows… keep em coming, hoping thread is not dead.

Shame you got the Kairn and CXN v2, I’ve just replaced my Wakonda with Selekt dsm as a pre amp and that has since been fitted with the Katalyst dac upgrade, I am using this with tri-amped keilidhs, this is a massive improvement over the original pre amp no mater what source is put through it. I did consider the Kairn as an alternative to the Wakonda but couldn’t find one at the time, and glad I couldn’t. I’m still using my mimik as cd source along with lp12, when funds permit I may update the cd to moon 260d t. Also there is the added bonus of the internet radio!
What power amp(s) are you using to tri amp?

Can you get parts ok?
Never had a problem yet, they use the same Sanyo lasers that Rega use (SF-91/SF-P101) which are readily available, not much else goes wrong other than belts and capacitors… I paid good money for my pristine but non working example, replaced the mech (laser and sled/spindle motors) and gave it a full re-cap, it’s now in full, as new working order.

I also have a Meridian 507 which is super smooth, detailed and spacious, along with a Naim CD5i which is powerful and engaging… the Ikemi gives the best bits of both, and then some, with no compromise.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. bottom line is I’m not hearing anything bad after this major upgrade (for me). I’m now seduced.
Im not into mixing old and new. I kinda knew Ikemi was going to be a suggestion. Food for thought.
I suppose I really should return the Strymon Big Sky pedal I bought last week. Not used it yet and it would free up £450 right away. Also got some nice dough coming from eBay over the next cpla weeks. I love the CXN and get a lovely sound from the streaming and then I go buy CDs but…. who knows… keep em coming, hoping thread is not dead.
I have to be honest, I’ve never heard the CXN, but every other Cambridge Audio digital source I’ve tried (Dacmagic Azur, Dacmagic +, 640c, 840c) have been too bright for my ears through Linn, maybe the CXN is a more refined performer, but I’d try and hear the component I suggested because they fit with your amps and speakers like a glove. It really is amazing how far you can take the Keilidhs, they just keep giving when they’re partnered with better kit. Ninkas are better again, and are also worth investigating.

I have to be honest, I’ve never heard the CXN, but every other Cambridge Audio digital source I’ve tried (Dacmagic Azur, Dacmagic +, 640c, 840c) have been too bright for my ears through Linn..

I've not heard that many, had a couple of CD players, but a friend of mine has a Cambridge streamer which sounds superb. Not just ok or good but very good indeed. Not bright or harsh at all, very clear and detailed. Another friend has another relatively cheap streamer which sounds brilliant, I'm very impressed by how good these things can be.

I think the late Dick Shahinian summed it it well.

"On the topic of CD players, our choices have never been too politically correct, in that we feel that the medium as a whole has still not delivered 100% of what was originally promised by the powers that be. As a result, for under $1000.00 it is possible to get one out of many machines to get 95% of what the megabuck players will do."

I have to be honest, I’ve never heard the CXN, but every other Cambridge Audio digital source I’ve tried (Dacmagic Azur, Dacmagic +, 640c, 840c) have been too bright for my ears through Linn, maybe the CXN is a more refined performer, but I’d try and hear the component I suggested because they fit with your amps and speakers like a glove. It really is amazing how far you can take the Keilidhs, they just keep giving when they’re partnered with better kit. Ninkas are better again, and are also worth investigating.
Hey Linnfo, I wish I had your depth of experience, I've spent the last year recording with my son, trying to get the best out of a D28 acoustic in the mix with mando and have only just got back to listening to music on hifi. Solution was to buy a Taylor 810! Now, with all the unexpected upgrades things have just got better and better - depth, soundstage (Kairn + Caspian Power taught me this), theN Kairn plus LK140, then Kairn plus LK140 plus Klout all passive and now all Aktive. Before the LK140 and Klout, I bought the CXN v2 and was very impressed with the quality of this wired streaming. Granted, you go out and buy the CD and there's a little extra coming out of the Keilidhs. But it's not a 'miles off' comparison. I am keeping it! I just need to find an Ikemi. My eBay funds are now at an end having sold 2 Klouts, AV5140s, upgraded plinths, Aktive Cards, K600 cable (an eBay package - nice profit made, including a late Klout for free!), Caspian integrated, Caspian Power, Alpha CD7. Reference song, for quickness, to judge all upgrades has been Knopfler and Atkins' 'Poor Boy Blues' and it sounds better, deeper, more detailed, improved tonality and all the rest. TIDAL Studio Master is the reference point for streaming, I'm not into mp3 or anything like that but I just think the CXN v2 is not out of place at the moment.
If you come across a good Ikemi for sale then give me a loud shout. Thanks.

advertisement

Back