advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Falling for the hype: Bowers & Wilkins 606 s2 Anniversary.
Bought solely on the overwhelming reviews that describe the sort of speaker I would go for with my 72/250dr.
There was one negative review on YouTube which I would concur with, but a little "edge" on vocals and slight dip in warmth suits my system overall. So not an issue.
Just playing Flight of the Cosmic Hippos by Bela Fleck, as suggested by Colin L on pfm, and thinking how anyone would want more bass than that. And they have just 6.5" woofers.

A nice lively and detailed speaker with great sound staging as well.
So there.
I've just added to the hype!

Just ordered an SVS 1000 Pro subwoofer. Will see how well it works with my Quad ESL 57s.

For my youngest daughter I bought a set of old Dali 3 speakers to complement her Leak Stereo 70 (on loan from me) and her rebranded Lenco B55 turntable - an Expert 5701. The veneer on the Dalis are scratched but the speakers sound as they should in her modest vinyl set-up..

My word, that is one hell of a subwoofer, a 12 foot woofer!!!!
00803-E64-6-F5-A-4211-8-EA5-DE768-C02-A4-B3.jpg

Falling for the hype: Bowers & Wilkins 606 s2 Anniversary.
Bought solely on the overwhelming reviews that describe the sort of speaker I would go for with my 72/250dr.
There was one negative review on YouTube which I would concur with, but a little "edge" on vocals and slight dip in warmth suits my system overall. So not an issue.
Just playing Flight of the Cosmic Hippos by Bela Fleck, as suggested by Colin L on pfm, and thinking how anyone would want more bass than that. And they have just 6.5" woofers.

A nice lively and detailed speaker with great sound staging as well.
So there.
I've just added to the hype!
Some 6.5" woofers can give a lot of deep bass nowadays, especially when installed in a large volume enclosure with a lot of space behind them and an optimized port without air turbulence.

Naim Muso 2 Wood Edition for the big, open-staircased living/dining/kitchen area of our new house in Madeira. Very neat and capable solution. No problem filling the space sound-wise. .

How are the DB1's for you Robby?

Morning. The DB1's are excellent. Took a little time for them to burn in (or my ears get used to their sound - whichever side of that argument you fall on) but I am now thoroughly enjoying them.

They are probably the most detailed of the speakers I have had in the last 18 months (and I have had a few) and, oddly, that took a little getting used to. The speakers I had immediately before the DB1's was a pair of the latest Wharfedale Lintons. They seemed to take a broad brush approach to music which was appealing in its own way. They are truly a bargain for what you get but ultimately too big (aesthetically) for my lounge (so I was told).

advertisement

Back