advertisement

Small speakers with high sensitivity

Simon66

pfm Member
I'm after a pair of bookshelf speakers with high sensitivity, budget upto around £200, anything considered, new, used. Usual suspects like kef, tannoy etc etc, recommendations please.

I tried some budget Klipsch a few years ago and they were fine. Think they've been replaced now but the R-51M looks similar and has 93db sensitivity which is quite good for a speaker that size.

My Kef C20s have been run in tandem with a pair of much larger PMCs for the last few months over a switcher. Subjective volume over the claimed 87dB PMCs, when I switched, was louder and I have no reason to doubt that they get close to the claimed 90dB sensitivity. With an 8.5" woofer I guess that is no surprise.

The other interesting thing about this design is that it does sound OK against a wall.

At current giveaway prices they might be worth a try as a reference.

Unfortunately mine are no longer for sale, but they do crop up on Ebay quite frequently.

I have used Focal Chorus 807v in the past. 92db with forward facing ports which make placing easier.
Look out for a secondhand pair.
I first heard these at a show, Guy Sergeant was using them with one of his valve amps, sounded fantastic.
I used them with my Puresound 2a3 before I got the Heco Direkt's.
I still have a pair in the attic but I'll be hanging on to them.

Vintage Yamaha NS-10Ms are rated at 90dB/w/m but don't go much below 80Hz. Yer cannae have your cake and eat it too.

Audio Note AX1 or AX2 - around 90db. Not made new anymore I believe, but you may find a pair s/h

Also work ok close to walls. Lively open sound.

advertisement

Back