advertisement

Clapton’s new single

Thankfully the political right and musical talent are pretty much mutually exclusive. As such it doesn’t concern me much, I can usually relate to the meaning and context behind the music I love. It must be quite bizarre listening to and enjoying protest music that is actively protesting against your own mindset. Kind of sociopathic in a way.

PS I suspect the closest I get is Roxy Music, where Bryan Ferry turned out to be a right Tory. He is however more than negated by Eno!

What a load of tripe! It's the sort of song a sixthformer would write for their protest band. And musically it sounds boringly unoriginal.

Van Morrison trod a wise path throughout the decades of The Troubles. It meant that those from both sides and none could still love him as an artist. Now he’s staffed his carefully tended reputation up the wall with mask paranoia, on stage with Ian Paisley jr- who next Farage?

I thought Van Morrison had been carefully cultivating a reputation as a bitter cantankerous old man for several decades now!

PS I’ve never ‘got’ his music, I remember trying quite hard with Astral Weeks and Moondance as they are so widely and highly rated, but they never connected with me somehow.

Van Morrison trod a wise path throughout the decades of The Troubles. It meant that those from both sides and none could still love him as an artist. Now he’s staffed his carefully tended reputation up the wall with mask paranoia, on stage with Ian Paisley jr- who next Farage?

Morrison had never hidden his ‘cultural identity’ he’s an orange Bstard and proud of that apparently, he regularly sings the sash at his gigs.

The old joke was that Clapton wasn't reading the Beano on the Mayall album cover - he was trying to work out what the pictures meant.

Looks like nothing has changed ....

A multi-millionaire from recycling another culture’s music
About multi-millionaires recycling another culture's music, we could also mention Charlie Watts, but I guess that's something else isn't it.

About never having seen Clapton live, let me say that it's a pity. I have seen him in 1988 (almost ok but it wasn't his day), in 1992 cockfighting with Elton John on stage (so boring that the audience preferred chatting amongst each other for the whole concert) and around 2005 or so, when on tour with Steve Gadd, and revisiting his Derek period. This was an absolute killer evening I tell you, one of the very best concerts I've ever seen, Clapton in the shape of his life. We felt the music in our veins. Blues rhythms borrowed here and there like most rock musicians did, but here they were served with a musicianship most of the latter could only dream of.

After that, still condemning him for a statement made back in 1976 which he regretted long ago, I don't know... Yet what I am sure about is that the time, the energy and the work he invested over many years in order to bring joy to his audience clearly overshadow the periods where he behaved like a ****. To many of us including me, he opened doors to more traditional forms of blues. Some have posted pics of old blues greats in this thread... would they ever have heard of Robert Johnson etc. if Clapton hadn't been there ?

Last edited:
fUeEf9c.jpg

I genuinely have never gotten the Clap(ton thing).

Is it the opening guitar tone/wah-wah stuff on White Room or something? That was pretty cool -though the rhythm section carried a lot of the weight- but otherwise there are so many guitarists who are more interesting than this cat, even setting aside his dickish behavior.

[Watts'] own jazz bands had plenty of non white musicians
Nathan East anyone ? Plus a zillion other guys Clapton played on stage or recorded with, Muddy Waters, etc. And Robert Cray who got a lot of help in his young career.

Charlie Watts kept his private life private
You and I have been contributing to a public forum for years, directly or indirectly unveiling a lot about ourselves, and all this without ever being coerced into it by journalists etc. We can hardly serve as role models in this regard :confused:

Morrison had never hidden his ‘cultural identity’ he’s an orange Bstard and proud of that apparently, he regularly sings the sash at his gigs.
Interestingly he recorded The Sash with The Chieftains on Celtic Heartbeat. Cultural crossover to say the least! Beyond that context, I wasn’t aware he performed it.

About multi-millionaires recycling another culture's music, we could also mention Charlie Watts, but I guess that's something else isn't it.

I’m not arguing about white blues and jazz musicians in the slightest. I can cite countless great examples (Bill Evans, Gill Evans, Art Pepper, Stan Getz, Dave Brubeck, Gary Burton etc etc right through to say Nik Bärtsch and Emma Jean Thackray today). You will find all these and more very substantially represented in my record collection. None of these people were racists/far-right white supremacists, they were/are all part of a truly forward looking multiracial music scene. FWIW I don’t know why you cite Charlie Watts.

For clarity and context here is Eric Clapton’s speech to an audience at Birmingham in 1976:

Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands. So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. I don't want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should vote for Enoch Powell. Enoch's our man. I think Enoch's right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man. F*cking wogs, man. F*cking Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black wogs and coons and Arabs and f*cking Jamaicans don't belong here, we don't want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for f*ck's sake? Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!

Source: Wikipedia.

I’ve obviously had to ‘bleep’ some of that to scrape it through the site swear filter and there is a lot of hugely ugly racist and offensive content remaining that I would normally remove on sight (and ban the poster), but folk do need to know this and it fits entirely with the political context of this thread.

As I stated upthread had this been a general Clapton thread in the music room discussing Cream, Derek & The Dominoes etc I’d have sat on my hands and not posted as it really isn’t my job to tell people what music to like. Similarly when it comes to an RIP thread I just won’t post. Given it’s here in off topic in an obviously political thread, and that he’s still even now ranting ugly conspiracy theory (albeit a different shite) then I’ll happily shine a bright spotlight on his past. It all helps add context to his current anti-vaccer position.

What about an All Star band with Morrisey, Van Morrison and Clapton? Gurning away about perceived freedoms taken away from rich white dilettantes ?

Some have posted pics of old blues greats in this thread... would they ever have heard of Robert Johnson etc. if Clapton hadn't been there ?

Say what?!? - do you seriously believe that Claptrap was the ONLY white musician playing the blues back in his heyday?
Not really sure why you would make such a dumb claim on a HiFi forum.... just a feeble attempt to defend the indefensible.

The man is an alt-right shit ... get over it.

advertisement

Back