advertisement

Restore/refinish speaker cabinets

33.3rpm

pfm Member
I finally have a pair of Tannoy Cheviots. The drivers are removed and boxed up ready to go off for new foams and the cabinets need some light restoration. They are dated 1976 and have some water marks on top and one has a long, shallow scratch to the side.

I’ve been looking for a local restorer but reckon I could do myself. Can anyone recommend a good technique and/or products? Fine grit sandpaper or wire wool? Beeswax or other? Anyone completed such a project?

Scrape off the finish with a veneer scraper, damp cloth and an iron just into steaming territory, that'll life the grain if it recoverable without remedial filling.

Scrape off the finish with a veneer scraper, damp cloth and an iron just into steaming territory, that'll life the grain if it recoverable without remedial filling.
I recommend water-based paint stripper over a scraper.

Watermarks are tricky to remove in my limited experience. I would chemical strip, then sand before refinishing. They say you should do the stripping process two or three times.

I got pretty good results just sanding and oiling the teak surrounds of my Sugden amps but veneer is incredibly thin so if sanding you need to be very careful not to go through it to what’s below.

I think pretty good will be good enough. I ruined a nice g-plan table by going at it with an orbital sander. Don’t fancy using chemicals to strip as I’m likely to make a mess of it so I think I’ll sand and oil. Did you finish with a lacquer?

I would only ever hand sand veneer. I finished with four applications of Danish oil. I lightly sanded with very fine paper between each application.

You should ask for advice in the DIY forum, add a picture or two of the affected areas of the cabinets and I’m sure you’ll get a better reply. There are more than a few Tannoy fans here. Good luck with the project.

Pics would help. Do not use mayonnaise!!!
Well I upended a pot of hot coffee on a rather expensive coffee table and completely took the finish of a large area. Having looked up the answer on Youtube and having no mayonnaise I concluded the "active ingredient" was probably the olive oil so I rubbed a small quantity with a soft cloth onto the veneer. The bleached stain completely disappeared. I was so impressed I rubbed the oil into the other coffee tables and it brought them up like new. I suggest it may be worth a try.
As far as stripping back goes I tend to agree with James, a paint stripper has worked well for me whereas sanding a veneer can all too easily result in sanding through to the wood below the veneer unless care is taken and I would certainly avoid a power sander.

advertisement

Back