advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Another meeting at Spa, another scene of carnage. Changes are needed. And now. It’ll be sad to see it go, but they’ll be looking at multiple deaths if they sit back and do nothing.

That was another very scary crash.

For F1 Eau Rouge is flat and has been for many years now.

But I am pretty sure (have never seen any data to confirm this) that for pretty much all other racing formulae it isn't, and the result is that when it goes wrong there are very serious accidents and little run off area and so cars continue to collide with each other.

But I am pretty sure (have never seen any data to confirm this) that for pretty much all other racing formulae it isn't, and the result is that when it goes wrong there are very serious accidents and little run off area and so cars continue to collide with each other.
It’ll be worse when an F1 car goes off and bounces back into the path of the following pack.

It really isn’t acceptable, in my opinion.

I would have thought that lesser, lighter formula cars would be flat too on entry, why would they not be?

It’ll be worse when an F1 car goes off and bounces back into the path of the following pack.

That is correct, but that is, and has proven to be, far less likely, because the corner is flat for all F1 cars and F1 drivers (and the race cars) have more capability to deal with difficult situations.

It really isn’t acceptable, in my opinion.

This area of the track should have been changed to make it safer after Antoine Hubert's death.

The F1 cars are fine, until something goes wrong. If all goes well, safety isn’t a concern at all, but a little oil is all it needs.

Just hoping today’s two drivers in hospital are ok and home soon. The other four looked very shaken in the pits after.

The F1 cars are fine, until something goes wrong. If all goes well, safety isn’t a concern at all, but a little oil is all it needs.

Safety is always a top priority concern for the teams and drivers. I am not saying that it won't happen with F1 cars, or that it could not be a really severe accident, just that it is far less likely than with other racing formulae.

Just hoping today’s two drivers in hospital are ok and home soon. The other four looked very shaken in the pits after.
Same here.

Compared to F1 that is certainly true. But relative to weight and power, would not, say, an F3 enter flat? Is there any comparative data?
F1 cars in 2000 were not flat through Eau Rouge and they had a lot more downforce than current F3 cars and a lot less than current F1 cars.

Have you been to Eau Rouge?

Kimi knows how to deal with eau rouge, and a cloud of smoke for good measure

Have you been to Eau Rouge?

Sadly no. And here’s the silliness: I’d love to watch qualifying runs through there. I never saw Mulsanne before the chicanes, and I miss plenty of other high speed sections of track (or all the old Hockenheim…).

advertisement

Back